THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Recent hunt and doubles comments .45-70 / .577

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent hunt and doubles comments .45-70 / .577
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted previously in the doubles section on my frustrations in getting my .577 NE regulated with an Aimpoint and having to switch to a Dokter red dot. Also for the 45-70, same problem but it was for PG

So what happened? The 577 was grouping 2-3" off sticks at 100 yds. We kept bumping a group of Dhaka boys but eventually the oldest cantankerous bull decided to turn and face us at about 80 yds. We just could not get closer in fairly open veld. As he turned sideways I shot a TSX 750 at him. Turned out this took out the top of his heart arteries and hilum of his lungs. This should have dropped him but he was keyed up and took off. Again with a slower bullet I lead him too far back with the solid but for some reason he turned in the opposite direction, perhaps because there was some more cover. Another TSX and solid to his left side this time and again a bit back. He then lay down behind the bush, bellowed and all 15-20 other Dhaka boys came back to him and would not leave. Eventually after a long time and repeatedly using a Landcruiser one of the young PHs was able to get them to leave. Two lessons: need to lead a running buffalo by quite abit even 5 ft . and full speed, with a slow bullet.

My son shot a wildebeest from 70 yards facing us with a Grizzly +P 405 gr 45-70 with a velocity of about 2100 fps. It groups the right barrel in an inch at the 100 yds with the Aimpoint setup with 6x magnifier. Even at that distance the bullet shattered the shoulder, tore the heart to shreds, and exited the chest. Still ran 100 yds! We took a test shot with the Punch +P flat nose from the rear buttock and the bullet traversed the whole length and was found under the brisket skin. Pretty impressive and the PH s were making me offers for it as a backup rifle. It weighs 6lbs and very sweet. They said that they would be happy with it for buffalo but I have my doubts except for perfect shots. I ve seen people hunting elephant with a Punch solid but not ideal I suspect for a big bull.

Needless to say for other plains game the 45-70 and the 577 did a great job. DRT although the impala with the 577 did a 360 pirouette and flew 5yds

The 45-70 can certainly do a great job in Africa if you have one with the ability to shoot +P loads.

Other than shooting some 20 buffalo with each, I can't for myself answer the question if my .577 or Gibbs .505 kills buffalo quicker. It obviously also depends on many other factors but for shooting PG out to 300yd the 505 is better. For close range defense against a charge the preferred is the 577.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Interesting to someone using the Punch bullets and a lever action rifle again.
With enough oomph, the Punch 400 will certainly shoot completely through the skull and into the body of an ele. Several years ago a friend used my 1886 45-90 and did just that with 430 grain .458 Punch bullet.
Of course, so did the 450 grain .458 North Fork bullet. Both were frontal brain shots.
Bullet testing can be fun.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote