New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant Autopsy
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
I was watching a documentary on this that Saeed gave me and having never seen one butchered before, I didn't realise how much muscle and meat is over the rib cage. Then the lungs are in a sack as well. Now I appreciate what a bullet has to go through to get to the vital areas. Very interesting.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8051 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted Hide Post
how about sharing with us? Keen to see it as well.

Only seen this one.
http://outdooroverload.com/wha...elephant-after-hunt/

Posts: 291 | Location: Sourh Africa | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgq2FGYBy1E

Watched the one on a Giraffe yesterday. That was very interesting as well.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8051 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree - a very interesting program - but not without some incorrect facts. Please realize that was an Indian elephant cow. A big bull African elephant can easily be almost twice that size! To produce my elephant anatomy diagrams I took three elephants apart in in similar fashion. To do so in 40 degree Zambezi Valley heat was not fun. Here in the Kruger National Park the game rangers now use a ballistic combination that has the potential to give full body length penetration on the biggest bodied bulls. (a 600 grain .458 Dzombo monolithic solid at 2150 fps from a .450 Rigby has the penetration to do this.) On one frontal brain shot the bullet was recovered in the tail!

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Damn, Kevin, that's crapload of penetration.

And I can almost imagine just how "wonderful" the aroma was - not to mention trying to keep the local pops from noshing down on your scientific samples. Smiler

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been in on the recovery of close to 30 elephants. It is a wonderful way to learn the elephant anatomy. Seeing where the vital organs are located will greatly increase you ability to place your bullets better. I have also had the recovery crew saw in half the skull of bulls and cows to see exactly where the brain is located. I now seldom miss place a brain shot.

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote