THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Let's create yet another artificial group of animals: The Far 5

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's create yet another artificial group of animals: The Far 5
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted
Man likes order in all things. Therefore he tends to group things together in groups. In the hunting language there are so many groups of animals which most hunters will know well enough: The terms Plains Game, (PG) Dangerous Game (DG), Big 5, Tiny or Little 5 and 10 are all well understood, although maybe not accurately defined. Seeing the term ‘the big 5 of plains game’ used for waterbuck + kudu + eland + nyala + gemsbuck made me think about what the animals that occur here in the Free State grassveld could be called.

stirI suggest that we all have a bit of a discussion to come to some sort of agreement on which animals could be included in the “Far 5”. This group is defined as being those species living in such habitat and with such behavior that 'far' shots at them are the rule rather than the exception.

I have no doubt that springbuck will eventually be one of the members of the elite Far 5 group. Wink Others that may be strong contenders are blesbuck and black wildebeest for the grassveldt species.

But the animals that live on mountain slopes are also often shot at longer ranges: Amongst this group the strong contenders include the mountain reedbuck and vaal or grey rhebuck. But what about Cape eland in the Drakensberg and klipspringer?

Where does the desert gemsbuck fit in? Then those lesser known to us South Africans; gerenuk, Thomsons gazelle and many others?

Let’s leave the jackal, pied and black crows, hyrax, meercat and other varmints out and concentrate on antelope to be included in an artificial and for fun only listing Far 5. As the list is intended for fun only the use of terms like 'desert gemsbuck’, 'Drakensberg eland' and 'Karoo black wildebeest' can be allowed.

Springbuck as a start and sure thing to be included. Then I suggest blesbuck as a very strong contender for inclusion.

Over to you guys!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

Going a bit north to the base of the Horn....While Mt. Nyala can require quite long shots, they can also be taken rather close up since it's in the forest. The animal in Ethiopia that comes to mind as ALWAYS being taken at long range (at leasr these days) is the Abyssinian Greater Kudu.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
How about my nemesis the Vaal Rhebok. Those pesky critters are always 350 - 400 yards out.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Springbok - all color phases includeing the Kalahare
Vaal Rehbok
MT Reedbuck
Klipspringer
Sitatingu

The above in their native habitat not trasnplanted to a game farm. Thinking of southern Africa not the whole of Africa ie Ethiopia or Tans etc (you know what tha means). Wink

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vaal Rhebok
Klipspringer (observed but not taken)
Mt. Reedbuck
Tseebe
Red Hartebeest

My reasons for these choices I was able to hunt them in their native habitat. None presented a shot less then 200 yards.

Brooks

Posts: 179 | Location: Virginia, NE. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a nice Gemsbok the skull and horns. Would that be inclued?

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
The Vaal Rhebok would have my vote!
Other suggestions good as well. I guess all species can offer long shots on occasion, so this might be a difficult task.

My klipspringer and black/white springboks also provided long shots only.

I have no experience with lechwes, but doesn't most of them live in open country were long shots normally are required?

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd propose Lechewe

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote for the merino in the top 5 Big Grin

Posts: 302 | Location: England | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nzou:
I vote for the merino in the top 5 Big Grin

I agree that merino should be in the 'top 5' - for good eating! Big Grin

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a vote to cast, but I would like to say I really like the idea.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Andrew, you know what I'm going to say...

Springbok
Springbok
Springbok
Springbok
Springbok

C Ya soon,

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
I thought there is only 2 things in the Free state nl prostitute and rugby players lets call them the super 2 jumping

sorry mate i just had to

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:
I thought there is only 2 things in the Free state nl prostitute and rugby players lets call them the super 2 jumping

sorry mate i just had to

I'll show this one to Cecilia just before you are due to arrive here to shoot a springbuck! Big Grin

In good hunting.

Andrew

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
quote:

sorry mate i just had to

I'll show this one to Cecilia just before you are due to arrive here to shoot a springbuck! Big Grin

In good hunting.

Andrew

I didnt know she played rugby

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
quote:

sorry mate i just had to

In good hunting.

Andrew

I didnt know she played rugby

375, Considering the above comment you better HOPE she plays rugby!!!!
jumping

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

I didnt know she played rugby[/QUOTE]

375, Considering the above comment you better HOPE she plays rugby!!!!
jumping[/QUOTE]

I now understand what was ment by the remarks I heard in passing: "She's a good hooker!"

Andrew

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Fly half i would say

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Aren't all of the groups made up? Didn't somebody make up the Big 5, which became the Big 6 and the Dangerous 7?

How about the Dangerous 1/7th?

Right now I'm working on my Little 5, but once I get that done, I'm seriously thinking about the Dangerous 1/7th (Hippo).

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote