Login/Join

Picture of T.Carr
posted
New Trophy Hunting Fees Suspended

Financial Gazette (Harare)
April 29, 2004

Staff Reporter
Bulawayo

New trophy hunting fees announced by the government recently have been suspended following an agreement between the Department of National Parks and Wildlife Management and representatives of safari operators.

Players in the safari industry had proposed that implementation of the new fees, announced in February, be deferred.

They agreed with the Parks and Wildlife Management department that the announcement of the new trophy prices had come at a time most operators had clinched deals with international clients, mostly from the United States and South Africa.

Most safari operators had sealed deals in the region of $20 billion at the world's largest international hunting convention - the Reno Sparks Convention - held in Nevada, United States, in late January.

There were also concerns over how to implement the new fees.

"The announcement of the new trophy hunting prices came too late. The prices were announced when the hunting sales and marketing had been finished between us, the safari operators, and customers.

"We already have contracts with big international customers. It is impossible for us to re-negotiate.

"The announcement of the new prices should be made early, say in November of each year, so we have accurate figures to work on by the time the hunting season begins in March," said a representative of the Indigenous Safari Operators' Association.

In February, the government pegged the price of a male elephant trophy at US$10 000, up from last year's figure of US$6 000.

A male buffalo was set at US$1 200 from last year's price of US$800 and a male zebra at US$550 compared to US$450 last year. The new fees, which have since been suspended, were for the 2004 hunting season.

Although there was no immediate comment from Environment Minister Francis Nhema, Parks and Wildlife Management officials in Matabeleland confirmed that last year's prices would prevail during this hunting season.

"What we are saying as safari operators is that to revise or change the offered prices now and implement these new fees announced by the parks and wildlife authority would greatly undermine the credibility of the Zimbabwe safari sector, especially us new safari owners.

"We need to create confidence in international hunting clients, hence the decision among all stakeholders to agree to suspend the new pricing structure," added the representative of the safari operators.

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Price increases, rampant poaching and government and law and order instability.

What a drawcard!!!!

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear the fees were not implemented. Also nitrox needs to lighten up. If you want to be ultra negative go to work for the John Kerry campain.

Posts: 294 | Location: carmichael,califoenia,usa | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Mamba,

I am not trying to defend NitroX however, like it or not, everything he stated is true. I love Zimbabwe. It is were I had my first safari, and it will always hold a very special place in my heart. That said, with the poaching, government problems and now the price increases, I think they may be signing their own death warrant. I am returning to Africa in 8 days and my wife will be joining me this time. Believe me, I would have loved to take her to Zimbabwe, however a country full of starving people does not make for a safe hunt/vacation. I have to give a lot of credit to my safari company in Zimbabwe, when they tell me to hold off for a while. They are great people, and while still conducting safaris, they have ventured in to the gold mining business. I think they see the beginning of the end. Maybe, just maybe, you should work for the Kerry campain, as you are so uninformed.

BOWHUNR

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Glad to hear the fees were not implemented. Also nitrox needs to lighten up. If you want to be ultra negative go to work for the John Kerry campain.

Mamba

Really I couldn't care which person you have in your "White House".

I would hunt in Zimbabwe again. But with its current climate the only reason I would choose it over say Tanzania, Namibia or Botswana is its price for dangerous game.

Quote:

mamba

Re: Costs of african hunt

..... There are bargins in africa but im not sure the first timer should engage them. When you talk of lots of animals then you talk of plains game. Tanzania. Botswana, and Zambia are high dollar hunts for the most part. .......

Hey, you even agree with me.

If they put the basic government fees up by 50% we can assume it will flow on to client fees probably by a similar margin.

With Zim outfitters already finding it hard to sell hunts due to lack of demand and resorting to often considerable discounting, what do you think the consequences of a supply side price increase would be?

The price increase would have entirely been driven by the usual black madman irrational economics so common in Africa and probably relates more to someone's Swiss bank account balance before the collapse than any intelligent decision based on what market prices are.

Hope your hunt with Russ Broom goes OK. By the way what concession are you hunting again?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote