Find
Notify
Tools

Escaped tiger shot in Los Angeles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not African hunting but I thought this would be the place to post this:

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2005-02-23T205745Z_01_N23633171_RTRIDST_0_USREPORT-LIFE-TIGER-DC.XML

Tiger on Loose Near L.A. Shot and Killed
Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:57 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Wildlife officials shot and killed a tiger on Wednesday that had been roaming loose for 10 days near homes in rugged terrain, north of Los Angeles.

Prints left by a large wild cat had been spotted for more than a week near the hilly Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks residential areas.

California wildlife officials said they were called in early on Wednesday morning when a homeowner saw the tiger on the edge of a housing development in Moor Park, about 30 miles northwest of Los Angeles. The tiger, thought to weigh between 400 and 600 pounds (180 and 270 kg), was shot several hundred yards away from soccer and baseball fields.

"We had set traps and we were prepared to use tranquilizers. But unfortunately it was spotted in an area not far away from a shopping center, a highway and a residential area and we didn't feel we could risk having someone hurt," said Lorna Bernard, spokeswoman for the Department of Fish and Game.

Officials with the Department of Fish and Game said no one had reported losing a tiger and they have been unable so far to determine where it came from. Tigers and other exotic cats can be kept by permit in California if safety conditions are met.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Hey that's my brothers hometown...I;ll have to call and say...here kitty kitty kitty

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Four or five years ago there were two tigers that escaped for someone in Cut & Shoot, Texas. (Yes, it is a real place, north of Houston and east of Conroe) I think one was caught/darted, the other was shot by one of the locals who joined in the search. (He had his favorite hound with him at the time)

I sure wish I had my Lott back then.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was surprised that they had video of the shooting on the news last night. The shooter appeared to take a CNS shot. He went down instantly.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was amazed to see the video from California ... and equally surprised to read the thread.

Last week yet another tiger was taken near or in the area of Cut and Shoot ... obviously a renegade from the Cat Care center there. Those folks need to be a bit more careful with their kitties!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
wonder what the trophy fee on a tiger was Smiler

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
The LA Times ran the story this morning with a photo of two of the Fish & Game shooters. The one nearest the camera was carrying an M-1a/M-14 rifle. The reporter said four shots were fired.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote