New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Concession" defined
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One other quick question/comment? How do quotas apply to the various definitions above? In which cases does the hunter need to state intentions before heading to the field with the master guide, PH, etc.? My experience on a game ranch was what I refer to as targets of opportunity, I passed on a warthog because I didn't ask the right question before going on the hunting that day. I could have taken this animal and didn't. If it hasn't been explained before maybe someone can also explain the difference between job titles (PH, Master Hunting Guide).
Thanks,
Chuck

Posts: 107 | Location: Canyon Lake, Texas | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Kurick1
seeing as you are refering to Master hunting guide/ PH, I presume that you hunted in Namibia, and will try and answer your question pertaining to that country.
When hunting on private land in Namibia, (regestered as either a guest farm or a hunting farm), your outfitter/ MHG/ PH should have applied for a trophy hunting permit for you for the period that you are there to hunt. You can be granted a permit with 2 of every available species to hunt as trophies. The "quota" on privately owned land are mostly determend by the owners, but also some input from enviromental affairs, concerning protected and specially protected game. On state or tribal land, quota is mostly set by environmentalists.
This basically also apply to RSA and Zim, the rest of the countries I have no experience of. In thes countries it is moderately important (on private land) to very important (state or tribal land) to let your outfitter know beforehand what you will want to hunt, and what you might want to hunt.

In RSA, it is mostly the same, but each province differs

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote