New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephants, Elephants, Elephants.
 Login/Join

<BWN300MAG>
posted
I was just wondering if anyone among us killed an elephant on their very first trip across the pond? I have 70 days of waiting ahead of me before I leave for Zim and need something to occupy my time. I thought it would be interesting to see who jumped out of the boat feet first (like I am doing)!

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Some may say "head first"!! Eeker Good luck and good hunting!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BWN300
My first trip to Africa [Zim] was in June 2004.
I killed 3 elephants. Two cows and one bull.
It was the most fun hunting I have ever done. When I go back in March 2006 there are multiple elephants on my agenda.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
BWN300,

First trip to Africa and first animal shot was an elephant bull. It was on the second day as I recall. Both elephant hunting and Africa are quite addictive.

Have fun.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first trip was elephant, buffalo and plains game, shot in that order.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't start with elephant.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<BWN300MAG>
posted
500grains,
Everyone who has told me that has gotten the same reply, "The deposit - not refundable, so I will just have to make do I'm afraid". For some odd reason that seems to really piss off some people. I guess they just can't take a joke.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Statrted hunting elephant from day one back in '72. Not first animal to be killed, but checking them out. Tanzania's Selous.

Isn't any reason to wait. Killing a truckload or two of plains game isn't going to do you any good on elephants.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my very first african animal was a african bull elephant in botswana then a grey duiker then a steen buck.....

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BWN300MAG:
"The deposit - not refundable, so I will just have to make do I'm afraid".

Big Grin thumb I like your answer!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first thing I ever followed was a heard of elephant looking for a tuskless cow. didnt get one til the second trip. Have shot 9 so far and I hope 4 or 5 more this year.

sorry about the spelling,
I missed that class.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BWN,

First safari, first day, first hour and first animal was an elephant bull. It was not planned but we ran smack into a wounded and quite disgruntled bull. When we got up on the elephant the PH said to take him so I did. Tell me I wasn't walking around in a daze the rest of the day.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
I am going on my first safari in November and will be shooting elephant cow as my first game.

I was begining to think that I was crazy but now see that I am in good company!

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,
Tell us about the rifle, loads, area, company, PH, etc. Details Man details. Big Grin
Cow elephant is the most fun hunting on the planet. thumb

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The fact remains that somewhere along the line there is the first elephant. But if it gets dangerous or you nearly get killed, don't come whining about it. If you get killed, no sympathy posts from friends or relatives. Elephant are very unpredictable. Just because the first might be a piece of cake, the next might get you.

And these guys shooting elephant with a scoped rifle at >50 yards ain't elephant hunting.

Seems there was a post here about a year ago whining about being put in a dangerous situation by his PH (whom I will be hunting with again this year). Well, no shit.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Will I love your prose...right to the core
Also shot my ele in the jess at 30 feet looking at me....

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
NE 450,

Buzz Charlton. Chewore North. November 1 (ugh). Cheap. 450 Dakota. 465 grain A-Square solid RN. 450 grain North Fork bonded soft point. 2500-2550 fps. CZ action. BRNO 602 McMillan stock. 3 X Luepold on Talley QD. Big Brockman peep. Heavy. No recoil. Shoots good.

I got no excuse if I blow it.

40 Km of Zambezi river. Unpopulated. I got Will, 500 grains, and Bill C. to blame for this hunt.

Thanks for the referals.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mozambique-first day of hunting-followed him about 11 miles. Side head shot at 50 yards with a scoped rifle. He was hiding side of the trail
trying to ambush us we figured. But because I was using a scope it wasn't hunting I guess. 47 and 49 lb. teeth.

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And these guys shooting elephant with a scoped rifle at >50 yards ain't elephant hunting.

Why?

You shoot deer and elk at longer ranges, don't you?

I think that the only reason the old timers had to get so close to elephants was that they were lousy shots, perhaps from developing flinches.

The energy of the bullet at 50 years is certainly adequate and, at least in the case of body shots, most people can hold tightly enough.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

<BWN300MAG>
posted
Wouldn't it be nice if just once a thread could get going without the bitching and moaning about the topic or the offloading of sarcastic, anal opinions which were not asked for in the first place. For the record, if I started whining now, it would take me two or three lifetimes to catch up with some of the people on this board!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy, I have met Buzz, and I know someone who recommends him highly, you should have a good trip.

BWN300MAG
What rifle and load will you use for elephant? Are you going on the DRSS hunt?

<BWN300MAG>
posted
N. E. Using model 70 375 H&H (I know it isn't a double and I should be looking to a nitro express or at least something in 40) w/ 300gr Sledgehammers for the ele. I have gotten quite good with raapid fire and reloads at the range and since we play like we practice... Still haven't been able to decide if I can (ie. have the time, etc, etc,etc) to go on the DRSS. But rest assured if I do I will come dragging a 45/70 double.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BWN 300MAG
Nothing wrong with the 375. I will be curious
to heare about the performance of the Sledgehammers. That is the solids we use for my Govt. Project in the 375's and the 458's. Bring the 375 to the DRSS Hunt if you come.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot a 375 good it will be better to use in a tight squeese than a 40 that you can not shoot straight with because off exessive recoil. Take a gun that you are comfortable with, remember you will have to carry it for a few days. The double in the trackers hand will not help you when he run in a different direction than you.

Wimpie

Posts: 166 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found it more comfortable to carry an iron sighted double rifle all day than a scoped or unscoped bolt rifle. The double is easier to grasp when you are carrying it in one hand.
Over the shoulder "African" carry they are about the same.

<BWN300MAG>
posted
Oh, I am not taking the 375 because I cannot handle anything bigger, it is just that is what I have available to me. I personally prefer the feel of a 500/416 N.E. Double. If money and time were no object, I would be taking a 700 nitro on a 90 day safari. Instead, I am taking a 375 on a 10 day safari.

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
the offloading of sarcastic, anal opinions which were not asked for in the first place

If you let that get to you, you WILL end up whining for two or three lifetimes! AR is the best place on the net to talk about hunting in Africa, but it has its fair share of SAOWWNAFITFP (acronym for quote above Smiler ). Some people here dole it out in warehouse quantities and cost (its all free!).

To get back on topic, congrats on your elephant hunt! I personally wouldn't hesitate to have hunted them first, had I the wherewithal to do it. And that is the only reason they will probably be last on the list for me (and why lion won't even get considered).

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote