Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
My condolences.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe I met Carl when I was in Zimbabwe hunting in '99.

He was guiding a German couple after elephant while I was hunting buffalo with another PH.
(We all shared a common camp in Chireza)

What I remember about him is his sense of humor...not snide or cutting, but very sharp and good natured.
He seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

Condolences to his family and friends...

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in El Reno Oklahoma this morning checking up on a taxidermist that works there and he told me that the hunter was from Oklahoma City Metro area and was going to be by to see him tomorrow. I am going to try to talk to him tomorrow.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A sad event. I don't know what thick jessse is.
I presume the denseness was the problem.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
My condolences to his family.

Wimpie asked about banking details, that may be a good way to show support, but my I also suggest that someone who knows the e-mail address of a member of his family at some time send a copy of al these messages to the family? I, for one would like to assure the family that as fellow Professional Hunter I'm deeply touched. He gave his life to save the client and trackers!

Andrew McLaren.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sad indeed. I am truly sorry for his family. Hopefully he was doing what he wanted to do and met his end on his own terms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My sincere condolences to his wife and family. We African hunters ought to establish a fund for survivors of ph's KIA, administered by one of the national ph associations. Maybe we hunters could fund it with a modest donation everytime we saddle up and go. Just a thought, but the guys I have hunted with have been great, and I'd bet they don't carry near enough insurance to off-set the loss to their families. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I like the idea. Is there anyone on this forum who can do the exploratory legwork?

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
There is really nothing adequate to say about this. We hunt DG for the sheer untamed fun of it, and the potential for the death of one's PH or oneself is an essential part of the experience.

I am as sorry as anyone that this happened, but I am also happy for Mr. Branford that he died doing what he lived to do. No one with any salt wants to die in a hospital bed filled with tubes and tied to monitors anyway.

I do feel much sorrow for his family. They always bear the brunt of the suffering. It is unsettling to me that this experienced PH was so thoroughly bushwacked by a cow elephant that he couldn't even get off a shot. Maybe we'll never know just how this happened.

I hope he carried a decent policy of life insurance with a double indemnity clause. That's the least that we crazy DG hunters can do for our families. But for all I know, maybe he couldn't get or afford one.

I agree with other posters that if there is a need, and if a fund can be established to help Mr. Branford's survivors, I will gladly pitch in.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It would also get my vote too but I'm not sure how you would work out the practicalities of managing such a fund......and PH Association would only be interested in doing it for their own members.....perhaps someone suitably qualified could comment?.........

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Rumours and speculation are rife amongst the Lowveld community on what transpired with the death of Carl Bradfield as a result of an elephant hunt that went terribly wrong on Wednesday 30th March 2005 in the Sengwe 2 hunting area. The purpose of this e mail, is to put this incident into it's proper perspective and we ask that anything contrary to this brief be put straight.

Carl Bradfield was conducting an elephant hunt with an American client and was 'spooring' two elephant when they came across one of the elephant in thick scrub. The distance between the hunting party and the elephant was approximately 20 mts.

Whilst C. Bradfield was 'glassing' the elephant to assess its suitability as a trophy, the wind changed direction, the elephant caught their scent and immediately started to charge the hunting party, upon which Carl Bradfield instructed his party to run (bombshell).

No shots were fired, nor were any shouts heard from Carl Bradfield by any member of the party.

Upon regrouping, the hunting party started searching the area for Carl Bradfield as he was not responding to their calls. They located Carl Bradfield and established that the elephant had caught and killed him, and had then left the area. Carl Bradfield had been 'tusked' once from the groin through to the chest cavity and stomped on.

This incident occurred at 07hr30.

On Thursday 31st March, 2005, at approximately mid-day, the National Parks Game Scout that had accompanied the hunting party along with the National Parks Warden from Mabalahuta, (according to National Parks Staff at Mabalahuta H.Q.) managed to track down the elephant responsible and destroyed it.

Speculation is rife as to what actually went wrong, no-one knows and never will.

K.J. REYNEKE

GROUP SECURITY MANAGER

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
It is the year of the elephant. May God rest the sole of this brave man.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have always lurked the forums and read with interest until now. This is my first post.

His name was Carl Bradfield. He introduced me to Africa. He is and will always be my friend.

Those of you who did not have the fortune of knowing him may not miss his unique hard hunting style, razor sharp wit, good humor, and searching mischievious eyes. He was an experience in itself.

Posts: 9 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Post continued:
Carl and I were planning a hunt for my daughter. She worshipped him and always made a point of our seeing him at SCI. We all had dinner together the last evening of the convention. Words cannot express how we feel now.

Carl told me to relax that he enjoyed the peace of watching the waves roll in on the beach in the RSA. I hope and pray he is enjoying that peace now.

We will miss him.

Ted Ajax

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
My prayers are with his family...He chose a dangerous profession, and we should all keep in mind how easy it is for us, as the client, to get a PH in trouble, especially by using inadequite weapons to satisfy our own egos, or by not taking a little time out to learn how to shoot...

Unfortunatly this happens about every year or so....

Ray, spot on.

My condolences to his family and friends.
Roland

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Widowmaker416:
Whilst C. Bradfield was 'glassing' the elephant to assess its suitability as a trophy, the wind changed direction, the elephant caught their scent and immediately started to charge the hunting party, upon which Carl Bradfield instructed his party to run (bombshell).

Does "bombshell" mean the group is to scatter in all directions?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
My condolences to his family. Having read all of the posts, he must have been one hell of a guy. Sad. May he rest in peace.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Condolences to his family and friends. I didn't know him, but he sounds like many of the good professionals i know. Great at their jobs and passionate about the sport, the game and the wild places.

tm

"one of the most common african animals is the common coolerbok(or coleman's coolerbok). Many have been domesticated and can be found in hunting camps, lodges and in the back of vehicles."

Posts: 252 | Location: Singapore | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
QUOTE]

Does "bombshell" mean the group is to scatter in all directions?

I'd guess so and I'll bet he made himself the
remaining target.
JL

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carls Widdow, Ann can be reached on

acaciasafaris@zol.co.zw

With the difficulty in re-imbersing hunters from Zim she is trying to ensure that those who have booked will still get what they have paid for and has taken on a good PH to finish the season.

What with a couple of kids at school and all of the estate tied up for a year or so I think she would appreciate support. This being Zimbabwe, there is no point in sending money here...Government takes 60% and would then tax her on the change that she is given. Perhaps somebody in South Africa could collect and arrange that it is waiting for her when desperately needed.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

Do you know Ann's town of residence? I am leaving for Zim in about three weeks to hunt with Jumbo Moore and perhaps I can hand carry some of the board's "contributions" to her. Of course, I'd have to clear the side-trip with Jumbo first. I think our route to the Save will take us from Bulawayo, near Buffalo Range, through Triangle.

Like I said, I'll have to clear it with my PH first.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann is based in Save, and is in Bulawayo at the moment. Don't thing Jumbo would have to drive more than five minutes out of his way to get there at one end or the other.

Thanks for your offer. Not having a south African Bank account and being at the other end of the country (with poor phones, no fuel etc) it is difficult to help. Jumbo could always pass the money onto Andy Fenwick who will make sure that Ann gets it, and he will certainly be seeing Andy!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,
I am told that Ann has hired Alan Davies to finish out the season. Could you verify this? If true, hunters will be well served as Alan controlled this area in the early 90s and is very framiliar with it, as well as being extremely experienced.

Posts: 322 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
GAHunter!

When are you leaving for Zim? I'm going over to Buffalo Range the begining of May.

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Would anyone be interested in contributing to a fund to help Carl's widow Ann finish putting their two daughters, Candace and Stacey, through school?

Ann has bravely managed their farm near Triangle but as you can imagine the difficult has now been compounded by the catastrophic.

What say you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Ann's Bank account details in South Africa if anybody would like to deposit something direct. PM me.