New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy judging Tanzania plains game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there any book or reference to give me some perspective on Masailand plainsgame?

I know, I know listen to your PH, and I will, but it would be nice to have an idea beforehand.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As much as people denigrate it, this is the sort of thing the SCI book is good at.

Book minimums usually correlate to a representative male.

As to a book that shows photos with measurements, I have never seen one. Some of those species, the horns look outlandishly big compared to body size, and you will need to just see a bunch to tell big from representatives.

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If the horns are longer than the ears, shoot it rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Everybody wants to be able to participate in all aspects of their hunt but given the variety of game you will encounter it will be tough to be competent at judging trophies. Rely on your PH and enjoy.

Score can be deceiving. Many people think a Kudu has to be 54+ to be decent.

I took this Kudu in 2000 or 2001 and not many folks would pass it up I am told...well it didn't score over 54 or even 53.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I took this Kudu in 2000 or 2001 and not many folks would pass it up I am told...well it didn't score over 54 or even 53.

Nothing wrong with it at all, in fact very nice, just tight spirals hence the lack of inches.

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:

Nothing wrong with it at all, in fact very nice, just tight spirals hence the lack of inches.

fulvio, I quite agree that Mike's kudu is, in fact, a very nice kudu trophy! I would much rather pose with such a "low measuring" kudu with decent outward pointing horn tips [like the one above] than with a much longer ypung kudu with horn tips still pointing inwards!

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:

fulvio, I quite agree that Mike's kudu is, in fact, a very nice kudu trophy! I would much rather pose with such a "low measuring" trophy kudu with decent outward pointing horn tips [like Mike's one above] than with a much longer horned young kudu with horn tips still pointing inwards!

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JTEX,

Another factor is that the trophy quality varies quite bit from one Masailand area to another so all you can do is ask your safari operator what reasonable expectations are for the area or areas you'll hunting. A 26" Grants in Lobo and Lokisale that I used to book for was a very good one. In Natron it would be a minimum with 28"-30" definitely possible.

Where are you hunting?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Every issue of Africa Outfitter focuses on one animal. Find the back issues that have the animals that you are looking for.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
Every issue of Africa Outfitter focuses on one animal. Find the back issues that have the animals that you are looking for.

Now there is a suggestion, thanks.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might find "The Practical Shot - A field Guide to shot placement on Africnan Game" of interest. It has images of EA plains game in it. I believe it is still available through the African Hunting Gazette site?

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
JTEX,

I would call up the Tanzanians here and they will be an invaluable source of information.

The two that have responded to your query probably have in excess of 50 years of experience.

Good luck on your research.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Everybody wants to be able to participate in all aspects of their but given the variety of game you will encounter it will be tough to be competent at judging trophies. Rely on your PH and enjoy.

Score can be deceiving. Many people think a Kudu has to be 54+ to be decent.

Earlier today I came across great advice about kudu: discuss the look you want with your PH. Do yo want tight spirals and a tall horns? Deep curls and maybe not so tall? Wide spread? There were examples of all types shown with accompanying measurements. This came from an African PH on Facebook of all places.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Precisely where I landed last year in Zim with zero intent of shooting a kudu. "I know you aren't planning kudu but, if you were, would you be interested in wide or tall or inches?" "Wide".

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id suggest that you leave the tape in your pocket and enjoy the hunt itself, it takes more than inches to make a hunt great..My best hunt was a mean one horned buffalo that needed killing..Conversation over the evening campfire with your PH is the best way to learn how to judge any species. In 10 days you will come away with a wealth of knowledge on how to judge a world of species and will have had a real education and made a lifetime friend..Just another point of vue.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote