Find
Notify
Tools

Letter RIP on the 470?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
RIP, it seems that the 470NE could easily be goosed to 2300 ft/s.

This would make a nice Super 470 and sounds like an ideal project for you. Still low pressure? Regulates close enough at 25 yards?

BTW, on the trail of the 450 Vincent Short. Will keep you posted.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19358 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Hey Will,
The 470 NE and 470 Mbogo have nearly identical case capacities.

I have gotten the 470 Mbogo up to 2685 fps with 500 grainers with no signs of pressure problems. 2700 fps should be no problem.

You ought to be able to do the same thing with the 470 NE as long as the brass will handle about 60,000 psi, and surely it will ... in a Ruger No.1.

2300 fps with 500 grainers, 'tis nuthin' in a Ruger No.1.

I want no part of this in a double rifle however. I want my Merkel to last a good while, so try not to exceed 2150 fps with the 500 grainers it likes so well. If mine cross at 50 meters, so what, it is still good to 100 meters, and that is far enough. 1" group at 50, 2" group at 100 meters, good enough for 4-shot composites.

My 45/404 Dakota (RIPoff of the 450 Vincent Short) will be on a Ruger M77 Mk II stainless with a synthetic stock, just to be contrary as possible to the stuffy old nostalgics around here. The metal could be olive drab, gray or black. No rust blue for me, thank you.

If Saeed would only offer 450 Vincent brass for sale here, might get a movement going regarding "dream elephant rifle." thumb
cheers

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch Searcy will regulate your .470 double to 2300 FPS if you want him to.

No problems with pressure or accuracy. It's been done before.

Of course you may not want to try this in an older more brittle rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My PH from last year hunts with ammo loaded at 2250 or 2300. His rifle is a Kreighoff. My understanding is that accuracy is fine up close where he is likely to need it. Limitted number of rounds at that velocity. I got the idea that he isn't the only PH in Zim doing it.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote