New
Find
Notify
Tools

378 weatherby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am really new to owning big bores and I am curious has anyone hunted PG & DG in Africa with a 378 weatherby? I have one and am planning a trip in 2009. I have been reading threads here for quite sometime and really not much mention of this caliber at all. Just curious that is all.

You don't have to be the best shot....Just the last shot.

Posts: 126 | Location: Peace River, Alberta | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, the only drawback to this cartidge for either DG or PG is excessive velocity. This has caused the breakup of other than monolithic projectiles. "Doctari" in some of his posts, says that even the velocity of the .375 H&H is excessive for proper penetration of buffalo and recommends either downloading the .375 by 150-200 fps or using the 9.3 X 62 Mauser. With projectiles such as Barnes, NF or GS bullets, I don't think that the projectiles will come apart such as conventional bullets. Considering that Saaed (sp?) uses an improved version of the .375/.404 Jeffrey, I think you'll be OK. The concensus on DG is, the bigger in diameter, the better.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BDD,

One thing about the 378 Weatherby is that you really won't need to bring another rifle as it will kill buffalo or whatever big stuff you point it at as well as plains game way out there. As has been suggested I would try only monometal bullets. If you shoot the 378 with accuracy it will serve you well in Africa.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only downside to the 378 wby is the excessively unpleasant recoil, unless you use a muzzle break; i would rather shoot my hot loaded 505 gibbs (600 gr@2400 fps) than a 378 (300gr@2900fps). And muzzle brakes are not fair to the trackers, their ears are their livlihood.I would trade it in for a 375 H&H or 375 Ruger. Even the 375 RUM is quite unpleasant, until you add a couple of pounds to the stock.

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot it well, take it and have fun. If you do the job on your end, all else will fall into place.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A guy I shared a camp with in July shot his eland 11 times with a .378. Let's just say that bullet choice is an issue with this caliber, even with factory loads.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People vary in their perception of, and tolerance of, both recoil and muzzle blast. Before doing anything else, take it to the range, sight it in, and fire a few shots offhand at a 12 inch target at 50 yds. if you can hit it consistently, you are OK to go. One other thing: load up the magazine with 3 cartridges, one of which is a dummy. you should not know which one is a dummy. Then see if you flinch with the dummy shot. If not, you are more recoil proof than 90% of experienced big bore enthusiasts I know, and certainly, you should take it on safari with appropriate bullets (BArnes monomettalic, swift A frame , etc

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed has probably shot more than most on this site and if my memory is working OK he has used the 300 grain Barnes X (and of late his own version of that bullet) at velocities ranging from 2650 or so through to 3150 f/s, the latter with the 375 Lazzeroni which is basically a 378 minus the belt.

I think for his last couple of trips he has settled on about 2750 from his 375/404.

I know nothing about Africa but do know about the 378 Big Grin Loading it back to 2750 can be very easily done and with a range of loads. For example about 100 grains of IMR 4831 will give you that velocity and such a load will be about 8 grains less than a top load with IMR 4831.

If you do not reload there are companies in America that custom reload.

378s have a tendency to shoot different loads to a similar point and especially the later models (The Made in US of A models) that have the heavier barrel contour of the 416 Wby and Accumark Weatherbys.

So perhaps you could have some 2750 f/s loads and some full power loads so as to compare them. Smiler

Mike

Posts: 425 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 08 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A guy I shared a camp with in July shot his eland 11 times with a .378. Let's just say that bullet choice is an issue with this caliber, even with factory loads.

Must have been horn shots!

Just load the thing full pop and practice with it all the time. Shoot it with the brake on! Your army of gun bearers and waterboys can cover their ears when you fire! - it's not a frigin' AA Gun! Roll Eyes

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maciej,
As far as I know there were no hits in the horns. There are some pictures of it here.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php...89841/page/1/fpart/1

My own eland took one 300 grain TSX from a H&H through the lungs and exited.That's how its supposed to work. When the bullets are Hornadys at Weatherby speed all bets are off.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looked at those photos. Something is VERY wrong with that equation (.378 - projectiles - load) I'm sure they'll get it sorted out. Sure he wasn't shooting some hard-cast conicals?!?! animal

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know nothing about Africa but do know about the 378 Loading it back to 2750 can be very easily done and with a range of loads. For example about 100 grains of IMR 4831 will give you that velocity and such a load will be about 8 grains less than a top load with IMR 4831.

Probably the only bloke in the world who took delivery of 4 custom shop 378s in a day Big Grin thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Donk,
You wont hear much about the 378 Weatherby when it comes to African DG as most PHs advise their clients not to bring the high velocity, high recoil magnums .
sofa

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the input. I do reload and I am working on a 260 gr accubond for my elk and moose this fall. My load is approx 3325 fps right now. I am running out of time this year for another load work up before hunting season starts. I will heed the advice from everyone about bullet choice for my Africa hunt. Thanks again to everyone.
Roger

You don't have to be the best shot....Just the last shot.

Posts: 126 | Location: Peace River, Alberta | Registered: 27 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Macifej,
Sure something was wrong with the load, that's the point. They were factory loaded Hornadys.That leaves one choice in factory ammo, the TSX.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BaDonkaDonk.. I used a 378 in Zambia last year. But I used factory loaded ammo. Take some boxes of 270 TXS's (3060 FPS) and a box of 300 grain FMJ (2925 FPS)and you will be fine.Every animal that was hit went down..steve

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
What AKA (Steve) said. That caliber's taylor made for the TSX and I wouldn't dream of using an Accubomb or a Hornady. I learned my lesson as well with my 300 Weatherby and 180gr Hornadys@ 3250 fps. On a little impala altough it killed it DRT, the bullet did not penetrate all the way through and lost the entire core.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Just my 2c worth of monday morning q-backing and SWAGging... I don't think that fella hit that eland 11 times...I only see a couple of bleeding wounds on that side of the animal. Looks like one of those shots may have had a bullet blow up on the "elbow", which would not be surprising.

I expect that it would be pretty tough to shoot accurately after taking a 378W shot to the brow and bleeding all over, etc.

A tougher bullet is definitely required.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canuck,
When he and his PH told me there were 11 shots in that animal I have no reason to disbelieve them. Not all were with the .378, he ran out of ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A guy I shared a camp with in July shot his eland 11 times with a .378.

Posts: 425 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 08 July 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Could be, Dogleg...just looks too clean to me.

I watched a cape buff take 10 shots last year (with a 416 RM). Most of the hits were all around the edges of the vitals (deflections mostly)...hence the # of shots, but man, it looked a lot more shot up afterward than that eland does.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,

Bring the 378 to the range on Sunday with the highly figured stock and try some 350 Woodleighs in it.......... Big Grin thumb

Blair.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote