Find
Notify
Tools

Bushbuck doe with white head.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Forgive the quality of the photo, this was taken with a 60X zoom at about 400 yards in the early morning light.

While I was in the KZN last month we saw this bushbuck doe. Her entire head was white. The white also went down her the front to about halfway down her chest.

Ian said that she looked really old and was probably barren. I've never seen a bushbuck that looks like this. I'm used to the old bucks getting darker with age and even losing all the hair in their face and neck when they get really old.

Has anyone seen one old enough to go white?

URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Fjold/media/Africa/Bushbuck%20Ewe%20White_zpsfuyqwsoe.jpg.html] [/URL]

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Frank that is a goat mate.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Frank that is a goat mate.

LMAO!

I tried to convince Ian it was a unicorn but it really was a bushbuck ewe.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Frank. I have seen some like that a few times down in the Eastern Cape, I agree that it has to do with age but I also think it must be a genetic thing, I have seen young bushbuck with white heads. I have a photo of one somewhere must just find it then I will post it.

One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
That bushbuck ewe turned white with fear when she saw Frank come stalking along with his .375 :-)

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris
Email: info@karoowildsafaris.co.za
Cell: (+27) 721894588
www.karoowildsafaris.co.za

Posts: 405 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Victor Watson:
That bushbuck ewe turned white with fear when she saw Frank come stalking along with his .375 :-)

Vic, I only shoot one horned bushbucks, you should know that. Smiler

Frank