Find
Notify
Tools

namibia via germany
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
For those of you that made that trip, did you stay over in Germany for a few days? If so, what did you do with your rifles between flights? I am trying to plan my 08 trip & maybe get the wife a few days of site seeing in Germany. THX

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Msichana
posted Hide Post
From what I've heard about Germany... they are very strict about bringing guns into the country. You might have to hire an agent to care for your rifles while you are there.

Most people i know that have done the US-GER-WDH flight only hang out in the airport and to get a break in between the long flight.

You should call Steve Turner at Gracy Travel (800-299-8558) and ask about it. They know about all of that stuff.

Posts: 122 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I've used Gracy before, good idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
fredj338 - Ditto on Steve at Gracy Travel. I used them this May for my trip and as usual they were top nothch. We arrived Frankfurt at around 9:00A, got a day room at the Sheraton in the airport. Showered, slept some and still had time for a 3/4 hour City tour. After a great dinner caught the 10:30P flight to Windhoek. By doing it this way, we managed to check our guns and other luggage all the way from Atlanta to Windhoek. We only had to deal with our carryon bags in Frankfurt. This was an ideal way in my opinion. If you stay multiple days then you will need to either pick up your checked bags or store them with an Agent. Steve @ Gracy should be able to give you the procedures if staying in Frankfurt for a few days. Have a good trip.

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
For those of you that made that trip, did you stay over in Germany for a few days? If so, what did you do with your rifles between flights? I am trying to plan my 08 trip & maybe get the wife a few days of site seeing in Germany. THX

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fred, I booked my flights w/Kathy @Wild Travel.
Direct flight from Denver to Frankfort then on to Windhoek, with a 10 hour layover in Frankfort. Checked our bags all the way thru to Windhoek so no problems on that end. Got a day room at the Holiday Inn Express as it was a $100 US cheaper then the Sheraton. With the airport shuttle (10 minutes) I think it was $70 US for the two of us. Within 200 yards was a great Italian restaurant that was VERY reasonable. I had the calamari and the wife had the veal, what a great meal and service. Plenty of time to get a shower, nap and a great meal. I'd do it again just for the food.

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Tyhanks for the input. If the wife comes along, I was thinking LA to Frankfurt, 2-3 days lay over for some sight seeing then on to Windhoek. I've had Kathi & the Gracey folsk help me on past trips & I think they will have a good handle on a 2-3 day lay over. If I go alone, I'll probably takethe 22hr cattle car through RSA, ughh!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I go alone, I'll probably takethe 22hr cattle car through RSA, ughh!

You won't get there any faster as the earliest flight arrival at JNB usually arrives too late for the latest departure for WDH, meaning you'll have to overnight in JNB -- which entails red tape with your guns, hotel bills, etc.

It is much preferable to spend the half-day layover enjoying the sights in Frankfurt. Take the train downtown, shop, eat some sausages, and drink some beer. I think that getting a room there for the day is both a waste of money and counterproductive: You need to sleep on the transatlantic flight, then stay active all day in Germany in order to better adjust to the time difference. If you sleep during the day in Germany, you'll be screwed the whole trip.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,
That isn't always the case. I went DFW-Atlanta-Jo'berg-Windhoek. We had a 6 hour layover in Jo'berg which I would now gladly trade for an asswhipping. Next May I will go via Frankfurt. Only 1 plane change is worth a lot to me. I don't do layovers very well.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1263 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote