Find
Notify
Tools

What's up with Zeiss?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
I have been coveting my Zeiss Classic 8x30's because Zeiss quit making them. Now I see in their catalog this year, they are back.

They are about an ounce less in weight than the Swarovski 8x30 SLC's and shorter. They are a great bino if you are in the market for an 8x30.

Apparently they are still making the biggest bang for the buck, the Classic 10x40, but is only available thru Cabelas.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
As far as I'm concerned, the Classic is the best binocular Zeiss has ever offered, and it's much better-built than any of its successors.

The 8X30 Classic SHOULD be back in the catalog, and I'm sure it now is due to sheer demand.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will and Allen,

Is this the Zeiss 8 x 30 "Classics" or is it the 8 x 30 "Conquest" we are talking about here?

I just got a set of the Zeiss 8 x 30 Conquest. I was unaware that a 8 x 30 Classic would soon be available.

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
They are the Classic, like the 10x40 Classics (like on Cabelas web site) but a lot smaller.

How much difference there is between them and the Conquest, I don't know. I would be interested in hearing how you like the Conquest.

I see Ziess has dropped the cheaper version, the Diafun, for some reason. I don't think they carried much of a warranty, but probably everyone wanted Zeiss to fix them anyway!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I looked at several websites of binocular dealers and they didn't have the 8X30 Classics for sale (or any size Classics except for the pocket style).

As you mentioned, Cabelas has the 10X40 Classic

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Here's what Zeiss shows on their website in 8X30 Classics:

Zeiss

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

The 8 x 30 Conquest are super. I wanted binocs in this specific size and did a stack test with several of the other hi$ ones and these shook out for me as the best. Money was no object. I bought a set of 10 x 25 Classics at the same time (these are good, too). The warranty on the Conquest is lifetime, transferrable and done in the U.S., is what I'm told, that's where I sent my warranty cards to.

I have heard that some of the 8 x 30 Conquest had a problem with being "fuzzy/swirly" (when viewing)around the outer perimeter of the lense. I also read where Zeiss is taking these back and replacing or repairing, etc. Mine dont have that problem.

T Carr, thanks for the pics.

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote