New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winding down.... or not....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, we have had a maelstrom of discontent over the Andrew Baldry - CME - Ibi disaster and shakedown.

Let me try to divert some of the energy to matters less impactful but worth thinking about....

I am almost 70. My mentor, Peter Flack, hung up his rifles about 5 years ago. He is, however in the midst of writing one last book on his hunts, thoughts, and overall good ideas. He told me ran out of passion and "want to" to hunt. I am almost there too.

So, as some of us start to wind down our hunting careers - what is left on your "I just got to go do this" list????

I will start - I have three.... or seven.

1. I want to rekindle a great memory with Dean Kendall, the PH that got me started on buffalo in 2005. I booked a hunt with him in Nyakasanga for 2025 to "do it again".

2. I want to try elephant. They scare me a bit but I want to feel what the thrill is all about. I booked a hunt, again with Dean Kendall with CMS to do that in 2026.

3. I want to go to Ethiopia again. To me, it is a magical place that I truly love. I book a hunt with Jason Roussos just to "go and hunt something". He is crafting it. Want to see the platter lip people and the other very very wild places.

4. I want to hunt Spain... hunt it hard and tour as I go... I want to go with Fernando Saiz and let them show me their country. ...

5. I am 0 for 3 on brown bears. I booked with Grizzly Skins, Taj Shoemaker, to change my luck/success. I asked that we stay until we get that bear's skin or he gets mine. I am not taking Phil's advice on using a .30-06. I am taking a .375 H&H and some RPG's. I am going to experience the hunt but will do what it takes to find Mr. Bear.

6. I want to see Greenland. No idea why, just do and maybe hunt/shoot a muskox.

7. Sheep... I hate sheep hunting, I absolutely hate it. But love it. I may have to go back to Tajikistan for Marco Polo as my cape and horns were lost on my hunt there when Covid broke out. I really do not want to go there. I hate sheep hunting... but I love sheep.... maybe Mongolia who knows....

8. I want to go trout and salmon catching (not fishing, just a lot of catching). I really get annoyed at purist, pussy, fly fisherpersons who get into the art of it and forget that you are there catch a fish with a brain the size of peanut. They make it hard but it is really easy. I went on a 100 mile float trip in Alaska and caught a jillion rainbows, dolly vardens and salmon. They are really dumb and easy to catch - they have to be if I catch them.. Anyway, I want to do that some more... I want easy, dumb, big fish...that do not require a fly that I cannot pronounce or even tie on.

What about you???

Posts: 10187 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear ypu. I am 68 and experienced more health issues in the last 4 months than I could have ever dreamed possible. A week ago today, I was getting a stent in my widow maker artery which was almost completely blocked. I am selling out at year end and will semi-retire.

I have a pile of things booked for next year. Mongolia, Cameroon, Uganda & Greenland. I want to do one more backpack sheep hunt. Yes, I am an idiot. I might want to do a markhor. Definitely bongo. Brown bear.

I do not see my love of hunting slowing down at all. However, I do find that I get more enjoyment out of taking a kid. I just took an 8-year-old to get his first turkey. I enjoyed that more than if i had taken one myself.

Posts: 11983 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Great thread Ross.

I'm sort of in the same place with my international hunting. I still do all the Arizona draw stuff. I actually drew an Antelope Tag for September here. "Only" had 30 BP's. I should draw a Desert Mule deer tag as well.

I just retired in July. I just turned 63 and am very physically active. I ride and race bicycles and will until I die. Since retiring, I am probably, the fittest I've ever been. I'm riding 5-7 days a week, hitting core work 3 days and eating right.

I shoot at least once a week.

I fish locally for over-sized Flathead catfish from a Kayak.

I hate sheep hunting as well. Cool

Try to do a couple trips to South America a year. The Amazon basin fishing hooked me about 13 years ago.

So winding down isn't really what I'm doing, I just pick and choose what I really want to do now.

And your comment about the "pussy" fly fishermen. dancing

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3401 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m not quite in the position of you guys…

I don’t have either the time or the money to do all the hunts I want to still.

I want to go back to Ethiopia and get the northern plains game… and maybe try mountain Nyala again since mine was on the small side.

I’ve never been sheep hunting. I’d like to try that… but so far haven’t drawn and can’t stomach spending that much to shoot only one animal.

Want to keep hunting buffalo and elephant as long as I can walk after them.

I enjoy cats, but the money is getting ridiculous.

I enjoy elk and deer.

If I won the lottery, I’d probably buy a game ranch in Texas so I could hunt whenever in addition to traveling.

I still need to try Europe and South America.

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I still love the adventure of international hunting even though a number of things like airline and customs hassles irk me more than they used to, not to mention shipping fees, receiving fees, tipping etiquette, etc. But the thrill of booking the next trip is still an adrenaline rush...

My hunting now revolves more around what classic hunting area or concession I want to see. Headed to the Caprivi Strip with Karl Stumpfe for management elephant and red lechwe in July and the Kilombero with a good group of guys to hunt for buff and chase big tigerfish. Leave in a week to safari in South Africa with my son-in-law on his first trip over with Charl and crew at Infinito.

Booked the Moyowosi with Blake Wilhemi of Adam Clements Safaris for September 2025. Always wanted to experience it and look for a really big buff. Back to Uruguay in December with a group of buddies to fish for monster dorado at the dam on the Argentina border. Also booked with Xavier Vannier of Faro Safaris in Cameroon for buff/roan and to fish for nile perch for 10 days in January 2026. I find I enjoy traveling with a group now. No competition at our age just fellowship.

What else? I would love to hunt the Matetsi in Zim, back to Masailand again with the Divine Ms. M in tow for a few days hunting and an excursion to the crater. And the Congo, Christophe and I have come close to making a deal a time or two but haven't pulled the trigger. At 65, I have more behind me than in front of me but I'm not slowing down, yet.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was 76 in March. I was supposed to be in Uganda for my birthday, but had a very bad fall 6 months before and was in too much pain to risk going to Uganda, so cancelled the hunt. After physical therapy and good meds I’m feeling fine now. However, it has shaken my confidence and I now realize I’m not bullet proof. I still do all the Louisiana things, like hunt deer on my farm, hunt ducks and fish for speckled trout (have a guided trip Saturday). Still thinking about Africa but maybe just PG nearer to medical facilities.
I don’t like the travel and gun hassle anymore, so we used a camp rifle on my granddaughter’s Limpopo Safari this past July. That worked well.
I did North America in the 80s and 90s and took 21 different species including Stone sheep, Dall sheep, Mountain goat, Mountain Grizzly and coastal Brown Bear. I loved Sheep hunting but that is not possible anymore.
It is hard to think about hanging it up but I believe I’m about there.
It has been a wonderful run.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great and productive thread….

For me…my Son is old enough now to take any place…and my whole family. I’m in my 50’s and hope to wind down career wise soon and have plenty of time before becoming an empty nester

Splitting time between fishing and hunting…

Taking the Family to Panama fishing next month
Then Caprivi strip in July for Elephant and buffalo with the whole family…

Like several above… what I enjoy now and want to do more of…
Elephant hunting and Buffalo…maybe Big Cats one more time
Would like to see Masaii Land and maybe Ethiopia and Uganda
Lord Derby Eland…maybe Bongo (but don’t really have the space for a full body mount)

I would like to Hunt some in Europe…hunt in Scotland hills…Spain, France, maybe Hungary or wherever
Loved Argentina and would like to go back several times and see new areas and enjoyed Buenos Aires quite a bit

I have a place in Cabo now and enjoy the fishing, the food, and the culture

Also have a business in New Orleans and I like to fish inshore every year and slay the trout and reds etc and eat great food

I want to do 4-6 good trips a year as long as I am physically and financially able.

Also, I suppose I need to catch a swordfish and complete my Royal Slam on Billfish…

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do.

DO NOT STOP HUNTING!

And best of luck!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67006 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 64 this year and lots of people have asked when I plan to retire. Six years ago when I joined my current and almost certainly final firm, one of my main conditions is that there was no mandatory retirement. I love what I do and will do it as long as I can.

I have the same attitude about hunting. I'll do it as long as I can. That said, I'm booked for another lion next year and if successful, that's probably my last lion. Elephant in 2026 and if successful, that's probably my last elephant. That's hard to swallow. But I'll never give up leopard or buffalo as long as I can.

Agree with BEGNO I've finally realized I'm no longer bullet proof and there are some hunts I need to realize are no longer an option. Agree with Larry that taking a kid would be the most fulfilling hunt. Unfortunately, my son has no interest, so I've offered to take my law partner's son when he's ready, but that's quite a few years from now and she's not real keen on my hunts, let alone me putting her little boy at risk, from her perspective, and I understand that.

So one more lion, one more elephant and buffalo and leopard after that seems to be the future. I can live with that. Hopefully, there are a lot of safaris in the future, but who knows.

Posts: 10035 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great topic…

At 53, I hopefully have some years left of good hunts and I do not plan on slowing down. I’m likely through with Africa but might make another trip. I’ve found that there is no better hunting, for me, than hunting here in the states with my sons.

Heading for Utah bear next month(my sons hunt), Wyoming elk this fall (I have max points to draw), salmon fishing in Alaska, and an Arizona late elk hunt. We still have some more hunt draws coming up so there might be some more hunting.

As an empty nester, semi-retired from my business (still teaching with my day job), I have more time to hunt; I certainly plan to take advantage of my time…

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't recall who, but one of our members has the footnote
"you can make more money but not more time" or something like that.
So true! Enjoy it while you can, maybe back off and enjoy things at a slower pace if you are feeling the years. 100% what Larry said, take a kid or a buddy who has not been before and get a kick out of it almost as much as your first trip!!

JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
I turn 40 this year so I hopefully have many more years of hunting ahead of me.

This year I'll be hunting Roe bucks in July here in England, then heading to South Africa in September with a fellow AR member.
Scotland in January 2025 then again in September/October 2025 with the same AR member. Plus some more Roe bucks in July 2025.

Some of the hunts I would like to do in the future:
Moose in Newfoundland
Muskox in Greenland
Buffalo in the Caprivi
Leopard in Zimbabwe with CMS or Lioness if they ever open it up in the Zambezi Valley

Booking hunts for other hunters is my passion though. Thanks to Saeed/AR I have arranged lots of hunts for AR members in the past and in the future.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 686 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One day I will take my daughters, 14 and 15, to Africa. One day. The day they spend more time outdoors shooting than sitting indoors staring at their f...ing phones. Roll Eyes

Posts: 190 | Location: Near the arctic circle, Norway | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Not winding down if I can help it. That is, if time and health permit. Tomorrow is promised to none of us.

Heading to Spain and Greenland for long-booked hunts for ibex and musk ox and caribou later this year. We'll combine hunting with touring in Spain and Iceland, both.

I'd like to get back to see old friends and hunt again in Zambia and Zimbabwe, too.

Who knows what else? Planning is more than half the fun.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have reached the point where finding an exceptional animal is the thing that brings the most enjoyment. Glass and glass and then Yowza!
Killing things brings no thrill other than the satisfaction of job well done.

Posts: 727 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Well, pushing 73. I’m headed for the Alaska peninsula this September. Just want to hammer one more big Moose while I can still walk the tundra. Then next year to Zim or Zambia for Elephant. The Luangwa is hard to get over.
In the mean time, bears with hounds here in the mountains of New Mexico with my family. The year round tags on the reservations keep us in the woods. But, like our aging hound warriors, the end is in site……and I look forward to seeing my daughter again when God calls my name.

Posts: 502 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be 37 this year. I'm mostly fearful that certain hunting I'd love to experience will sunset before it's feasible for me to get to it all.

One thing I've watched many hunters do is slow their hunting when their family lives got busy. I'm trying to strike a balance to avoid that entirely while still being present for my growing children's (4 and 8 yrs, currently) lives.

I'm trying to prioritize the hunts I fear will die off or get so expensive their unattainable. Much of my interest in this is in Africa.

A great topic to read, so far. Thank you, dogcat.

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

I turned 75 this year and last November I hunted in the UK and Spain. I didn't know at the time but I had scar tissue left over in my right knee after knee replacement that made my knee stiff. At the time I also was dealing with plantar fasciitis in my left foot. I was stumbling around like a 100 year old in Spain. Those issues are handled now but it certainly made me aware that I'm far from bullet proof.

I have plans to hunt Europe again and maybe several more times. Hawaii and Botswana are in the planning phase. Fishing in Mexico is booked and the East coast of Costa Rica is on the radar also.

I will keep at it as long as I have my health and the money doesn't runout.

I've only slowed down on Africa because what I'd still like to hunt like bongo and Mountain nyala are just financially out of reach at today's prices.

On another issue there are many hunts that are fair chase but not physically challenging. Don't stop hunting just because your not in sheep shape.

Cheers,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Like some others I find myself facing the backside of my sixties this year. I still enjoy the sense of adventure that comes with the hunts (and fishing trips) but the travel and hassles associated with travel definitely have become more tiresome. That and the aches and pains that come with age take a bit of the old gloss off the trips. When I pause to think about my hunting experiences I also realize that I have accomplished many of the hunting challenges that hold appeal to me.

I am still trying to do a couple of trips each year. Fishing trips seem to be becoming more common. I find them more relaxing, easier on the body, shorter and much less expensive but still offering the appeal of international adventure. Headed to South Africa and Tanzania this year and Zimbabwe and Uruguay next year. Like Russell I find more joy these days with the group trips that combine the hunting and fishing with the camaraderie of good friends like Russell, Jay, Kelly, Tim, Tom, Guy, Casey and others. I need to do more hunting in Europe. Shorter trips, less expensive and culturally very interesting. Hunted in Poland last October and enjoyed it immensely.

Who knows what the future holds but I would like to think that I have a number of years left to enjoy these adventures even if the pace slows down a bit.

Mike

Posts: 21237 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:
I'll be 37 this year. I'm mostly fearful that certain hunting I'd love to experience will sunset before it's feasible for me to get to it all.

One thing I've watched many hunters do is slow their hunting when their family lives got busy. I'm trying to strike a balance to avoid that entirely while still being present for my growing children's (4 and 8 yrs, currently) lives.

I'm trying to prioritize the hunts I fear will die off or get so expensive their unattainable. Much of my interest in this is in Africa.

I am in nearly an identical position (my boys are 4 and 9). It is tough to strike a balance but I completely agree with your logic; some of the hunts I want to do or have been blessed to have completed already will likely be gone by the time my kids reach adulthood. I am just blessed that I can get to do some of these things while they are still feasible and that I have a wife who is understanding of lengthy absences...

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

posted Hide Post
Age 77. Many safaris (25) and sheep hunts through out Asia. Hunted all over N and S America. Leaving mid May for one more buffalo hunt. Then that will probably be it. Wonderful memories.

Formally Bwana1.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I’m 47 and still love hunting, but lost my hunting partner (my father) just over a year ago. Luckily, we hunted on three continents and many states together. My passion is there, but I’m not as motivated. In addition, many of the land owners we would hunt with have passed on.

I work part time in Argentina with a hunting outfitter. When I’m there, I may shoot a few boxes to spell the client or coach.

I still want to return to Africa for a kudu and buffalo.

A Mule deer/elk hunt might also be in the picture. The only deer I’ve shot recently have been cull or meat hunts. I really do like hog hunting.

I’m still working through some 250+ guns to sell, as well as bronzes and other art. I have been in contact with a taxidermy auction company. I need to figure out the picture posting and offer some guns here.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
We’re all getting older and none of us are gonna go forever. I’m 65 and have no plans to stop as long as my health and finances allow me to keep going on adventures.

Like others have mentioned, trips with family and friends are more and more important to me than they used to be. I’ve been to Africa 3 times in the last 14 months, and two of those trips were centered around taking my adult children. First, I took my daughter and her boyfriend to Kenya for a 3-week trip during which they got engaged at the summit of Kilimanjaro. Kenya, for those who haven’t been, is fantastic. Great game viewing and saltwater fishing. Then, I took my son and an 80 year old friend to hunt with Alan Vincent in the Selous. It was my friend’s first African hunt and I enjoyed both of them immensely. Hunting buffalo alongside my son was a hunting highlight of my life. Then, I went to Cameroon alone. It wasn’t the same, and if Alan wasn’t already a long time great friend, I’m not sure the hunt would have been so enjoyable. I’ve enjoyed some great times stateside with a few AR members who’ve become friends because of this website. I’d like to do more of this, as everyone I’ve met through AR seems like people with whom I’d enjoy sharing a campfire.

I’ve got some future African hunts booked, Coutada 9 with a good friend in ‘26, Tondwa next year by myself, thankfully, Johnny DuPlooy and I are very compatible. Congo in ‘26, that’ll be an adventure. Alan and I are discussing several more hunts for the future; Masailand, Zim Elephant. I’ll be taking my son back to Madaba for one more big Selous hunt with Alan, probably in ‘27. And my son and I still try to draw tags all across the west every year. As we draw tags, we’ll stop applying for those tough to draw hunts but we should have a Wyoming moose, several sheep hunts and some real good elk hunts ahead of us. But I can easily see fewer big hunts not too many years into the future, balanced out by more bird shooting and fishing trips. Argentina doves next month with a group of friends being an example.

My hope is that health, money and motivation last another 15 years or so and after that there probably won’t be much international hunting to do.

Posts: 3858 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
62 and I don’t plan, I just come up with hunts at the whim
Bear deer elk turkey as usual, gators in LA, Europe red deer maybe and roe deer and pigs ( Europe has it’s magic ), Africa we’ll see
Mostly my hunts are on a shoe string as I’m not as well off as others but that’s Ok
Still, my schedule is full besides working damn near full time probably forever to keep with this hunting llifestyle…

Posts: 145 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you dogcat for starting this thread. Good to see all the positive thoughts about the future.
74 this year and the legs aren't as lively as they used to be.
At the moment I'm culling my high-fenced Fallow deer. The rut is on and it is really just shooting not hunting.
As previously posted, now my wife has passed away and I am able to hunt again, I am going back to England for the Roe deer rut in the woods I hunted as a teenager. I probably won't bother to shoot anything though, I just get such a thrill calling bucks right up to me.
From there I'm heading to Zambia to hunt the Bangwuela swamp with Andrew Baldry for Sitatunga, Black Lechwe and Tsessebe.
In November it's Maasailand with Div Pretorius, Kilombrero North Safaris, for Lesser Kudu and the other plains game species. I was going to do this hunt next year on the 50th anniversary of my first hunt in Kenya but I've learned now never to put anything off until next year because I could be belly-up by then.
I'm hoping to survive long enough to see my 3 year old grandson (named Hunter) learn to shoot. He goes around my trophy room with a Maasai spear and shield pretending to spear various beasts. As one of his 4 passports is a Zimbabwean one, he will be able to train as an appie there, assuming there is still room in this wonderful world of ours for the professional hunter.

Posts: 296 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 24 March 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m 71 got my Leopard last year at 70, I’m slowing down because of injuries and sight problems. But plan on hunting New Mexico for Pronghorn in August and doing another Muskox in 2025.

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me among those juggling family obligations with hunting opportunities. So far I’ve struck a good balance thought wife may disagree. My plan is to continue to hunt buffalo at every opportunity.

Posts: 988 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thoughtful responses.
I am encouraged to "press on".
The other thing we all collectively need to think about is how/when/where to keep preaching that hunting is conservation and that without hunting - we all lose the wildlife and wild places we love.

I have dug into a few organizations on this and found that some are losing "their path" even though they say the right things, they are not leading from the front. Some are playing the politics game (send me more money) or the money raising game (send me more money). I will let you decide who is who out there in the crowded critter conservation landscape.

My encouragement is - get involved. One person can have an impact by their words and actions.

Look for that opportunity as we "wind down" our hunting careers.

Please keep the comments coming... this has been an encouraging thread...

Posts: 10187 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am 60 but have 15yo son. As long as he likes going…I will keep booking hunts. I don’t go without him anymore.

I still love all Africa hunting. The hassles of getting there with our rifles is the only thing that puts me off and that gets worse with each trip.

The travel hassle is what will eventually kill it for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAGuardian:
quote:
Originally posted by Brandon.Gleason:

I am in nearly an identical position (my boys are 4 and 9). It is tough to strike a balance but I completely agree with your logic; some of the hunts I want to do or have been blessed to have completed already will likely be gone by the time my kids reach adulthood. I am just blessed that I can get to do some of these things while they are still feasible and that I have a wife who is understanding of lengthy absences...

I'm in the same boat. 36 this year. 4 kids (7, 5, 5, 4) and a lovely wife that gives me plenty of time away.

I'm off to Zim in August and going to Wyoming in November for ducks.

I'm trying to get to where I'm in Africa once a year with another domestic hunting/fishing trip every now and again.

There are so many places to go...not enough time. I'm thankful for our gray haired friends on this site for providing the inspiration to keep it going!

Posts: 51 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 10 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
42 years old, have a 3 year old that I hope I get to take hunting soon Smiler

First years in his life we have just visited Europe. Next month Poland and Italy.

Hope to have many good trips in the future.

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Well, this year at DSC i booked a hunt to Zimbabwe for 2025.. that is my birthday present to my self. I was looking for either an elephant or leopard hunt and went with the elephant as i figured i can sit in a blind a few years later as i will near 80 by then.

I found out with a few medical issues that really put the brakes on my mobility and endurance these days. Therefore, i need to reconsider what i want to do.

I have a mule dear hunt in Montana this fall and drive over to South Dakota for a grouse and pheasant hunt.

Thinking about going back to Alaska for black bear and salmon next year. I will have to see if that will work around the hunt in Zimbabwe.

As long as i am able to get around well, i will look to planning something to take in hunting or fishing. And i am starting to look at a combo hunt for elk and mule deer. For 26 or 27

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1578 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Thanks for the thoughtful responses.
I am encouraged to "press on".
The other thing we all collectively need to think about is how/when/where to keep preaching that hunting is conservation and that without hunting - we all lose the wildlife and wild places we love.

I have dug into a few organizations on this and found that some are losing "their path" even though they say the right things, they are not leading from the front. Some are playing the politics game (send me more money) or the money raising game (send me more money). I will let you decide who is who out there in the crowded critter conservation landscape.

My encouragement is - get involved. One person can have an impact by their words and actions.

Look for that opportunity as we "wind down" our hunting careers.

Please keep the comments coming... this has been an encouraging thread...

You've hit the nail on the head.

We as hunter conservationists have a responsibility to maintain the wild places where we can through sustainable utilization and land preservation. In order to do that effectively, we need to inspire those coming after us.

Many of the posters on this thread have been an inspiration to myself and many others on this forum. Like many generations of hunters before us, you have all told your tales of the wild and adventure which stokes the flames of your colleagues and future hunter adventurers.

If through our journeys we can inspire at least one to pursue adventure hunting, then we have done well.

Thank you to all of you that have been gracious enough to share your experiences and knowledge to this forum. It is certainly appreciated more than you may realize!

"The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching". - John Wooden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
65 and booked for Cameroon forest hunt in early 26. In the meantime it's feral pigs in TX, cow elk in OR, maybe I'll draw a local mule deer tag and always yotes in the calving fields at night. Mostly I just enjoy being outdoors with a rifle over my shoulder and don't see that changing as long as I can walk Smiler

Posts: 1073 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So only 39, but balancing family life with hunting. I have a 4 year old who is my fishing buddy.

But I told my best friend last night actually, I see the end of my big game hunting, it just isn't the same for me and maybe I will get that fire again. I killed whitetail on a kill permit, so I am but over it. I am really frustrated with the Western draws and the state of western hunting, I might shoot one more elk in my life but not sure. If I hunt Antelope or Mule deer it will be friends or family. When I burn points, I dont but back in.

I love sheep hunting and being in the mountains but that is a young man's game and I hope to keep pushing myself for as long as possible hunting them. My trips are going to focus on those in the next 10 years, hunting Ibex and Sheep. Turkey, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan seem to be calling me, but that is only really 5 more trips. I'm not sure I will ever hunt a Marco Polo or Blue Sheep as much as I would like to, the costs are getting a bit ridiculous. If my last hunt could be a Dall Sheep in the Yukon, I would be a happy man.

I have a Leopard hunt booked next year, and then Cameroon for PG in 26. I hope to do Uganda and maybe one more trip to RSA for tiny ten. But mostly doing those now because now sure if they will be possible in 5 years.

I will probably continue hunting birds, and traveling to do so, but I look forward to trout streams and deep sea fishing. I might even play golf again.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mostly I just enjoy being outdoors with a rifle over my shoulder and don't see that changing as long as I can walk

Amen!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LivingTheDream1:
So only 39, but balancing family life with hunting. I have a 4 year old who is my fishing buddy.

But I told my best friend last night actually, I see the end of my big game hunting, it just isn't the same for me and maybe I will get that fire again. I killed whitetail on a kill permit, so I am but over it. I am really frustrated with the Western draws and the state of western hunting, I might shoot one more elk in my life but not sure. If I hunt Antelope or Mule deer it will be friends or family. When I burn points, I dont but back in.

I love sheep hunting and being in the mountains but that is a young man's game and I hope to keep pushing myself for as long as possible hunting them. My trips are going to focus on those in the next 10 years, hunting Ibex and Sheep. Turkey, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan seem to be calling me, but that is only really 5 more trips. I'm not sure I will ever hunt a Marco Polo or Blue Sheep as much as I would like to, the costs are getting a bit ridiculous. If my last hunt could be a Dall Sheep in the Yukon, I would be a happy man.

I have a Leopard hunt booked next year, and then Cameroon for PG in 26. I hope to do Uganda and maybe one more trip to RSA for tiny ten. But mostly doing those now because now sure if they will be possible in 5 years.

I will probably continue hunting birds, and traveling to do so, but I look forward to trout streams and deep sea fishing. I might even play golf again.

Don’t get frustrated, there is other places like NZ Australia and Europe with great hunting opportunities and good prices and to boot, you can bring family and enjoy it

Posts: 145 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have gotten into going to Alaska every year for a week of salmon and halibut catching. Some trips go for Dolly Vardon and Trout.
That is a lot of fun and low intensity.
Plus, the guides clean the fish....

That may be a nice add on to hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great thread dogcat. I am 60 years old and not winding down anytime soon. Bwanamrm and I just had this conversation at one of our favorite lunch spots (an old country store) while we dined on pit BBQ and sweet tea. We are both in the last quarter but still have plans for many more safaris and trips across the pond.

My wife and I will be spending a few weeks in Italy (Rome, Tuscany and Amalfi Coast) next month then I'll be off Tanzania for an Ele safari with my son and PH Quintin Whithead in August.

I'm joining my son next year for his (CMS) Ele and buff safari in the valley with PH Alan Shearing. Buzz scheduled two of my favorite camps, Mururu and Montambo for us on this safari.

Next up I will head to Cameroon for LDE with Guav.

I also have a Fishing trip coming up in Uruguay with AR members and good friends, Mike Jines, bwanamrm and Tim Herald. We always have a blast together.

Botswana safari, dates TBD.

Posts: 1793 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Ross,
Certainly a great diversion from Zambia!!
My 80th Birthday is on the 27th!! Life has flown by and close friends are dropping around me monthly, 2 last week!!
I had the pins knocked out from under me last August/September with severe symptoms of spinal Stenosis, AGAIN, cable around my waist and difficulty walking!! Surgery Oct 4, and it really scrambled my legs!! Still walking with a cane for balance, and Physical Therapy 3X a week!!
I am fishing for Spring Chinooks twice in May off the Columbia River, and big Kings in the Queen Charlottes, BC in June, and going on the Alberta Moose in October, I missed last year, and my partner took his first in my place, larger than any I have taken since 1968!! Now he is gone at 61 after bringing us some Moose meat and proceeding to have heart attack in our living room...2 Stints at the hospital...
We are doing a major cruise around Africa, now excluding the Suez Canal and Red Sea!! I am working on some hop off hunts to finish the Tiny 10 on that cruise. I completed the SCI AFRICAN 29 at the end of a cruise in 2020 with Roan and Aoudad on the East Cape.
I would really like to hunt a Mountain Goat, but climbing in the mountains is not my bag, so a winter yacht based hunt might do it, but crazy expensive!!... $13-16k, one outfitter is $38k!!
I would also like yo shoot a monster Black Bear in SE ALASKA. I should have done it when we were cruising every year fishing!! Now those hunts are $15,000!! I remember when Brown Bear in SE ALASKA was less than that!!
I have been talking with Buzz about Tuskless or Cow elephant, and Buffalo...and I really want an LD ELAND... probably with Alan Vincent...
So no, my desire isn't fading, but pricing is really getting offensive!!That might make more impact than the hunts!! I am just thankful I wasn't in Tanzania when my back symptoms kicked in... had my partner not bailed, we would have!!
I still want to add at least one jet type rating to my pilot license, biz jet, and maybe a military bird?? Also a helicopter rating....
One of my biggest temptations is great double rifles, and fine custom rifles!!...but I shouldn't be buying more of them either...only to have to be liquidated by my estate!!
DO IT NOW, YOU WILL GET OLDER FASTER THAN YOU THINK!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2570 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote