Notify
Tools

What ever happened to HHK Safaris ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentle men:
Anyone know what happened to HHK ?
I tried going to their web site the other day and my Norton blocked a virus attack from their site. I was wondering if Grahm is still alive and well.

Paul K

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 758 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They had their usual big booth at the Dallas Safari Club convention earlier this month.

Posts: 308 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I understand the original owners left it.

And I was also led to believe that the new owners are the sort of people one should avoid dealing with.

I have no personal experience of this though.

If anyone has any updates on this, I am sure many here would appreciate hearing it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.hhksafaris.com/

Paul,

I saw Graham at Dallas, he is doing fine. They have booths 2633/2635 at SCI.I was able to access their website using the attached link.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9501 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once Lou Hallamore left, I had no interest.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heard the same things from some recent hunters as Saeed and Biebs is in reference to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard the same things as Saeed but I am curious if any AR members have had recent experience with HHK

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Kathi, I see Gomez is the only PH left that I recognize.

Actually, Lou and or his sons is who I had in mind to hunt with. Is Lou still getting around alright ?

Paul

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 758 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you might inquire as to why so many PHs left. I would also look into the area.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
George Hallamore has started Zengela Hunters.

http://zengelahunters.com/hunting-areas-camps/

I had the pleasure of hunting with him 2 years ago. Great guy and hunter!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lou and Clive have their own outfit now.

http://hallamorehunt.com/

Posts: 308 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have recent experience,but my experience a couple of years ago or so, was my last. Graham bent me over real good on an elephant hunt in the Sengwa Research Area. It's a damn shame as my first safari with HHK was absolutely great. Unless something has changed, and I don't believe it has from my conversations with former PH's and others in Zimbabwe, I would choose another operator. There are a lot of really good operators in Zimbabwe, so why would anyone of ordinary intelligence chose to go with someone who's reputation has fallen considerably.

Posts: 792 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am on the list of never again with my experience with Grahm on our last exchange was disappointing to say the least. I had gone on two safaris with HHK and had booked a third to take my family to a specific location which meant I was on a three year wait to get a lion here. I paid my deposit per Graham and every year before DSC I would contact Graham per email each year to confirm if the hunt was on and one year talked at DSC. The year of the hunt I could not teach Graham and also began getting some comments from others in Zim my hunt my be a problem with Graham backing out. DSC finally arrived and I found Graham and he was acting cold so I knew something was up. I asked about my hunt and he said it wasn't going to happen and didn't attempt to offer another hunt or work with me. He said he would be refunding my deposit. I told him I was not happy to have to hunt him down to get an answer and now I had to scramble to put together another hunt. Then Graham said "I didn't think you were set on going as you didn't put down a bigger deposit". Well that ruffled my feathers as the deposit was what he required and gladly say on for three years. After I left later I looked back and I saw him smirking and laughing behind my back with his cronies. I returned to his booth and had a heated exchange and I'm not sure the booking that was being discussed in the booth with another possible client happened but they should have been able to tell they were in a buyer beware situation.
It's not how you do business with business people in the US or anywhere in my opinion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is really sad news as I had some outstanding hunts with HHK in the past.

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Scratch these guys. thumbdown

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:
Scratch these guys. thumbdown

I totally agree Jim.

There are plenty of very good operators in Zimbabwe, so why even think of going with an outfit that has gone down the drain??

Not worth one even thinking about it, let alone waste money on those who could not care less about their clients!

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only reason you run from HHK is that you cannot fly.

Posts: 792 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blaserguy:
I am on the list of never again with my experience with Grahm on our last exchange was disappointing to say the least. I had gone on two safaris with HHK and had booked a third to take my family to a specific location which meant I was on a three year wait to get a lion here. I paid my deposit per Graham and every year before DSC I would contact Graham per email each year to confirm if the hunt was on and one year talked at DSC. The year of the hunt I could not teach Graham and also began getting some comments from others in Zim my hunt my be a problem with Graham backing out. DSC finally arrived and I found Graham and he was acting cold so I knew something was up. I asked about my hunt and he said it wasn't going to happen and didn't attempt to offer another hunt or work with me. He said he would be refunding my deposit. I told him I was not happy to have to hunt him down to get an answer and now I had to scramble to put together another hunt. Then Graham said "I didn't think you were set on going as you didn't put down a bigger deposit". Well that ruffled my feathers as the deposit was what he required and gladly say on for three years. After I left later I looked back and I saw him smirking and laughing behind my back with his cronies. I returned to his booth and had a heated exchange and I'm not sure the booking that was being discussed in the booth with another possible client happened but they should have been able to tell they were in a buyer beware situation.
It's not how you do business with business people in the US or anywhere in my opinion.

That is disgusting.

Many of my hunts are reservered on a handshake.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by Blaserguy:

That is disgusting.

Many of my hunts are reservered on a handshake.

Andrew, from what I hear you run your safaris like a gentleman too.

And that is how it should be.

It is rather sad that a good company goes down the drain.

One of Us
Picture of RickyClark
posted Hide Post
For balance, Went with HHK in October last year for Ele and had a fantastic hunt with Rusty Labuschagne as PH and the camp was well run and had no issues whatsoever,they were 7 for 8 on leopard thanks to Gomez and I Can't wait to go back.The game numbers on Matetsi was fantastic and we saw lion,cheetah,3000+ Ele, big sable, roan etc

lets make a plan

Posts: 98 | Location: England | Registered: 29 April 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Aren't they the ones who swap quota from one area to another??

Which is one reason some areas have been shot out??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They were the "quota transfer" kings, in a normal world their company would have been shut down long ago.

Posts: 114 | Location: Africa | Registered: 29 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ZWC:

Is there any truth to the rumor that they did not pay their PHs thus causing the departure of many of them?

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fairgame gentleman can do a handshake deal and so many of us build relationships with operators in Africa and it's one of the pleasures normally doing business in Africa. Sometimes we are reminded it's just business and I took mine elsewhere. I left a $3500 deposit as was requested per Graham. That's not a big hunk of money but he kept it for 3 years and then acted like I wasn't serious because I didn't give more money to hold. Then I had to ask for it back even though he had no intentions of honoring my hunt well in advance of our conversation. A leopard doesn't change it's spots as I know of another similar instance with another client and PH. I know what poop looks like, I don't have to taste it to know that it's real

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's is very true..professional hunters, office staff, suppliers etc... Add the Game dept, campfire councils chasing their money as well..

quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
ZWC:

Is there any truth to the rumor that they did not pay their PHs thus causing the departure of many of them?

Posts: 114 | Location: Africa | Registered: 29 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought. If you are really interested in HHK and their operation, go to the SCI Convention and visit them in person. Thus, rather than rely on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th hand opinions and blubber here on AR. Put on your ""big boy" pants and actually make up "your own mind" by addressing them first hand, one on one. For sure one only gets "part" of the actual story here on AR. Have a great day.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If it walks like a duck, squawks like a duck and swims like a duck, then it MUST be a duck!

Far too many sad stories about HHK, from far too many sources, to be ignored!

Their quota swapping was going on for years, and it was negatively affecting not just their own areas, but all the honest outfits from Zimbabwe!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Just a thought. If you are really interested in HHK and their operation, go to the SCI Convention and visit them in person. Thus, rather than rely on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th hand opinions and blubber here on AR. Put on your ""big boy" pants and actually make up "your own mind" by addressing them first hand, one on one. For sure one only gets "part" of the actual story here on AR. Have a great day.

Larry Sellers

Larry:

Do you really think they will tell you about their issues like not paying Phs or vendors?

Personally, I have heard enough,even before this thread.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:

Larry Sellers

Larry:

Do you really think they will tell you about their issues like not paying Phs or vendors?

Personally, I have heard enough,even before this thread.

AMEN! tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13446 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CARLOSTHEJACKAL
posted Hide Post
Hunted twice with them. Once in 2007 and then in 2011. Was not great, was not bad. But, if I ever go back to Zim it will be with another outfitter.

NRA Life Member
DSC Life Member

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 486 | Location: SE TEXAS | Registered: 26 June 2007Reply With Quote