Find
Notify
Tools

Binoculars and neckstrap choice
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Maximus Brutus
posted
I'm starting to plan my trip to the Selous next year and am doing as much research as possible regarding suitable equipment from those that have hunted in the African wilderness.

I'd like to bring some binoculars and have a pair of Leica Ultravid 7x42s that I find useful for European hunting. They are not huge but not compact either and weigh 770g/27.2oz.

Do you think they will be suitable? If so how should they be carried? I know there are differing opinions regarding "bra" type systems and I see a number of PHs carrying them over the right shoulder and under the left arm.

I would welcome any comments from those that have got it right or wrong during their trip to the dark continent.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I prefer the harness method. Just can't bring myself to call it a "bra" though! Cool

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
They would be perfect and here is in my opinion and how. Binos under arm out of way and all ammo readily accessable.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks retreever. The strap looks long and unless you are right handed is on your gun shoulder side? You don't find it gets in the way or caught on brush there?

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I prefer the harness method. Just can't bring myself to call it a "bra" though! Cool

+1 I use 10x binos and these straps serve as a bit of an anchor to help stabilize the binos.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maximus Brutus:
Thanks retreever. The strap looks long and unless you are right handed is on your gun shoulder side? You don't find it gets in the way or caught on brush there?

I carry mine that way also. you carry the rifle on left shoulder and bino on right side. When the rifle is shouldered its a long way from the binocular.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found that by using a short strap with a little stretch, the binos hang just inside my elbow along my ribcage, well out of the way but easy to reach.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCJames
posted Hide Post
I love my "bino buddies" for every type of hunting I do in NA. These are the harness style. They stay readily available (and barely noticeable) at your chest without bouncing around. I will be bringing mine to Zim next week and assume that they should work as well there as they do here.....but I will know more shortly!

Posts: 133 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 09 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use stiener 8x30s with a GI universal strap slung over the right shoulder about elbow high on the left side. I find this fast and secure.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
When in heavy cover it rides like this.

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
10x25's in the left shirt pocket.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first trip to Tanzania in the Selous I carried a pair of Zeiss 10x42's (those are big heavy binoculars in my opinion)on a bra system. Within days I was carrying them under my left arm looping all the many straps over my head. The bra system is great for some hunts. I don't like it for a strenuous or dangerous game hunt.

I now have a pair of 8x30 Leica's that I think is ideal for this type of hunt. Small, light weight and fits nicely under my left arm. No more bra carry.

Still use the bra carry with the big nocs in a blind hunt situation.

Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second BaxterB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which type of bino lense cap is best? I like the rubber ones, but know a lot of folks prefer the plastic ones? Geez!! popcorn

8 X 25 in left pocket works for me, just to stay on subject.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the left pocket I don't worry about lense caps, but do carry a lense pen.

As an interesting aside, on my first safari riding on the back of the bakkie I didn't duck quick enough and the bino strap caught on a branch and I almost got strangled, lucky for me the thin strap gave way before my windpipe did. Eeker

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
10x25's in the left shirt pocket.

+1 (sort of)

I use Swarovski 8x20s with the small strap around my neck and the binos in my left shirt pocket. My rationale is that I am generally a backup spotter to the trackers and PH, I never need really large optics for low light, and these little Swarvoskis have tremendous capability for minimum weight. IMHO.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree with all who carry on a short neck strap along the rib cage of the off shoulder.

The key to length of the strap is that when you raise the binos to your eyes with your off hand, you have a little bit of tension to help stabilize the binos. (Your other hand is, of course, holding your rifle.)

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Through all my many seasons in Tanzania, I use my 10 power Swarowski binocular. For quite a few years now I use a binocular strap made by "Butler Creek". It is very comfortable (I carry on right shoulder, with the binos tucked under my left arm). But towards the end of the season the strap always starts to separate & break. I then need to duct tape it or have tent boy sew them. So now I started carrying an extra new strap. But that is after 3 - 4 months of hard use, and a client should have no problem at all with them on a 21 day safari.
I also bring a 2nd pair of Nikkon Monarchs (which are lightweight and very clear!) for my tracker to use, and also act as a spare pair for me.

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
For me, the problem with carrying on a strap over the "off shoulder" is that there isn't necessarily an "off shoulder". Hauling a heavy double rifle, or big bore bolt for that matter, I find that I often switch shoulders with both the African Carry and when using a sling. Having binos dangling loose under the arm would have to be switched every time I switch sides with the rifle. That's the main reason I use the harness type.

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Depends upon the situation. If I am carrying my binos I like the harness. Spot and stalk on PG I leave the binos in the bakkie and use the rifle scope. I have enough trouble being quiet so the less gear the better.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harness for me with 8x42 Swaros, but I find myself more and more just putting a small pair of Leica 8x20s in my pocket.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a birder AND hunter and carry my Eagle Optics 8x34s on a harness virtually all the time. Bird hunting, water-fowling, big game glassing and all over Africa, they do not get in the way and do not tire my shoulders and neck. They are much better than even an expensive pair of minis(8x20,10x20s) letting in much more light and having a much wider field of view. They only weigh 17-18 oz and have a much deeper focal depth and let in as much light as my eyes can handle (Not so with minis)and have great resolution. Unless I am into heavy duty bird watching or glassing in low light these are more than adequate. They are also inexpensive <$400 and very durable. Second the thought on a lens pen--indespensible and great for rifle scopes as well.

D.

Dick Gunn

“You must always stop and roll in the good stuff;
it may not smell this way tomorrow.”

Lucy, a long deceased Basset Hound

"

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Carry my Zeiss 8X20 in right shirt pocket as I shoot lefty.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
The strap in the picture came with my Zeiss 10x42s. If you're going to be spending a lot of time glassing they were great. For elk hunting I'd keep these in the day pack until I was going to be sitting for awhile and use my Leupolx 6x30s that fit in my pocket.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4777 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
everyone has their preferences but a pair of 8x30 Swarovskis have always got it done.

Leave them in the truck when hunting, especially when hunting the thick stuff.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19367 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harness me up. They have never got in my way while shooting under a variety of conditions all around the globe. Have used the across the chest carry as well, but am happier with a tighter harness. Like so many topics, no Right Or Wrong here...use what you like best.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I've tried the chest harness, but hunting horseback, they hit the pommel when I have to duck for a low branch, reach for a pack horse, etc. I have found carrying my binos under my left arm, here and abroad, to be the answer. I always have them, they are out of the way, and very handy. I never hunt without binoclulars.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wtnut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
everyone has their preferences but a pair of 8x30 Swarovskis have always got it done.

Leave them in the truck when hunting, especially when hunting the thick stuff.

My thoughts exactly. I guided whitetail hunters for a few years in Northern Alberta and there is nothing more frustating than saying shoot at a really good whitetail and seeing the client looking through his binos instead of a scope. I would go through the binos are for me the scope is for you scenario at the beginning of each hunt with each hunter. In the thick stuff hunting rutting white tails a person often has one or two seconds to shoot and kill em. At longer distances or more open country when time is usually not as crucial binos are just fine but the switch from binos to rifle should be done in a split second. On my hunt with Mark Vallero in Chewore South last summer I told him I would try to leave my binos where they belonged[on the dash or in my pocket] as much as I could. He laughed and and agreed with me as he also had clients lose opportunities at some great trophies. When questioned further he agreed with the guide = binos hunter = scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Compacts in left shirt pocket won't work for me, that's where my leica rangefinder lives. But it's 7X and will do in a pinch. Better than nothing.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have both take them out to the range along with all of your "kit" that you think you will be carrying and use your Bino's, shoot your gun, carry your gun,load your gun, use a shot time if you have one this will put pressure on you and you can really see what is in the way and you be the judge.......
Find a hot day 85*f, 30*c or better and go for a hard walk...IMHO, I think the 'bra' strap binds and restricts the airflow around my shirt, but the jury is still out.
Half the fun of a trip is in the planning
have fun..

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10x25s in a belt pouch. When I first went to Africa I did the big binocs on the harness thing, but now go for less weight and efficiency.
I also found that the tsetses like to bite through your shirt along the sweat lines caused by the harness straps. I once gave the trackers and PH a good laugh when I took my shirt off to demonstrate the perfect cross of red bite marks on my back.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the head and under the arm with a nylon strap. The strap slides easily to position the binnos from your chest to the middle of your back. When your crawling or it's game on with something dangerous, the middle of your back is where you want your binoculars.

If I was a woman and was used to wearing a bra in hot weather and didn't think they would get in the way when I was belly crawling or trying to frantically reload, well then, I might use one of those fancy harnesses.

I also wouldn't walk across the street to hunt anything, anywhere without an appropriate binocular for the specific application.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
Have both take them out to the range along with all of your "kit" that you think you will be carrying and use your Bino's, shoot your gun, carry your gun,load your gun, use a shot time if you have one this will put pressure on you and you can really see what is in the way and you be the judge.......
Find a hot day 85*f, 30*c or better and go for a hard walk...IMHO, I think the 'bra' strap binds and restricts the airflow around my shirt, but the jury is still out.

great advice

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Man:

If I ... didn't think they would get in the way when I was belly crawling or trying to frantically reload, well then, I might use one of those fancy harnesses.

True, but how often do you actually belly crawl for a shot. I find that I more often use the "Butt Scoot" or "hands and knees" methods in stead of belly crawling. With the harness, the binos are protected and out of the way for either "butt scooting" or crawling on hands and knees. The over the shoulder strap method would be a problem with either of these.

I've never even noticed the binos on a harness while frantically reloading. They are just out the way and out of mind until needed.

I also just can't stand to have anything tugging on my neck the way binos do with the strap. Can't stand to wear a turtle neck either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should I mark the lense caps for my binocs with an L and R so I always get them back on right? Roll Eyes

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Which type of bino lense cap is best? I like the rubber ones, but know a lot of folks prefer the plastic ones? Geez!! popcorn

8 X 25 in left pocket works for me, just to stay on subject.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No humor today, guess it's the hot weather?
Frowner

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I keep my binos in the truck, as I prefer to be as light as I can when out hunting.

The PH has his pair, and when he looks at something, I use my rifle scope to look along with him.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I keep my binos in the truck, as I prefer to be as light as I can when out hunting.

The PH has his pair, and when he looks at something, I use my rifle scope to look along with him.

That's fine, if your rifle has a scope. Cool

Thanks for all the replies. I too would prefer to be as light as possible but still feel carrying a pair of binos would be useful, so I'm going to buy a pair of 8x20 Leicas or similar. They are a 1/3 weight of my 7x42s and as indicated by the responses above could be carried in a number of ways.