Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania Quiz
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
Okay guys and gals, here's an East African quiz for you.

Which of these activities is prohibited in Tanzania? (Note: Assume that all shooting is done by a tourist hunter in a non-emergency, normal hunting situation.)

1. Shooting a female zebra.
2. Setting fire to grass and brush in the Selous.
3. Shooting a bull elephant with tusks weighing less than 25 kg. per side.
4. Shooting a bull elephant with tusks less than 1.75 m in length.
5. Growing tomatoes in the Selous.
8. Hunting at night, meaning before dawn or after sunset.
9. Shooting a lion less than six years old.
10. Shooting a lioness.
11. Shooting an African wild dog.
12. Grazing cattle in the Selous.
13. Hunting with a semi-automatic shotgun.
14. Hunting dangerous game with a caliber less than .375 H&H Mag.
15. Using a night vision device for any purpose, even game viewing.
16. Shooting a cape buffalo, with none left on license, for meat at the direction of a game warden or scout.
17. Shooting from a vehicle.
18. Shooting a cape buffalo, with one or more left on license, with the game scout's FAL.
20. Shooting from a vehicle while driving on the right side of the road. (I had to include a gimme. Big Grin)

I think, but am not sure, that I know the answers to most, if not all, of these questions. But I'm no expert.

Anyway, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so the winner gets . . . bragging rights only. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess - all of the above.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooting the female zebra is a no-no Eeker

Trust me...I know.

Bull1

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DRB
posted Hide Post
Yep, All the above! beer

Regards
Dave

Posts: 179 | Location: Durbanville, RSA | Registered: 15 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
All of the above

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote]Which of these activities is prohibited in Tanzania? (Note: Assume that all shooting is done by a tourist hunter in a non-emergecy, normal hunting situation.)

I'd say that these two elephants would make lots of folks really proud.

I'd also say shooting camp meat at the direction of the game scout is OK, or at least no one is going to turn you in. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Okay guys and gals, here's an East African quiz for you.

Which of these activities is prohibited in Tanzania? (Note: Assume that all shooting is done by a tourist hunter in a non-emergency, normal hunting situation.)

1. Shooting a female zebra.
2. Setting fire to grass and brush in the Selous.
5. Growing tomatoes in the Selous.
8. Hunting at night, meaning before dawn or after sunset.
9. Shooting a lion less than six years old.
10. Shooting a lioness.
11. Shooting an African wild dog.
12. Grazing cattle in the Selous.
13. Hunting with a semi-automatic shotgun.
14. Hunting dangerous game with a caliber less than .375 H&H Mag.
15. Using a night vision device for any purpose, even game viewing.
16. Shooting a cape buffalo, with none left on license, for meat at the direction of a game warden or scout.
17. Shooting from a vehicle.
18. Shooting a cape buffalo, with one or more left on license, with the game scout's FAL.
20. Shooting from a vehicle while driving on the right side of the road. (I had to include a gimme. Big Grin)

I think, but am not sure, that I know the answers to most, if not all, of these questions. But I'm no expert.

Anyway, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so the winner gets . . . bragging rights only. Cool

Okay, I can see that this was much too easy.

Now, for the real question. Big Grin

Which of these are honored more often by breach than observance? Red Face

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudude:
[quote]Which of these activities is prohibited in Tanzania? (Note: Assume that all shooting is done by a tourist hunter in a non-emergecy, normal hunting situation.)

I'd say that these two elephants would make lots of folks really proud.

I'd also say shooting camp meat at the direction of the game scout is OK, or at least no one is going to turn you in. Kudude

Sorry, but can't do any of those things. Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Mad

This ain't about what you can get away with, you know. Big Grin

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

1. Shooting a female zebra. According to the Wildlife Act one can shoot females AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT OBVIOUSLY PREGNANT OR ACCOMPANIED BY YOUNG; so in strictly legal terms, it is allowed BUT commonly accepted that no female of any species should be shot!
2. Setting fire to grass and brush in the Selous. NO
3. Shooting a bull elephant with tusks weighing less than 25 kg. per side.It is allowed. New minimums are 17Kgs or 1.70 m Wink
4. Shooting a bull elephant with tusks less than 1.75 m in length.as above
5. Growing tomatoes in the Selous.No - but you can grow marijuana Big Grin
8. Hunting at night, meaning before dawn or after sunset.NO
9. Shooting a lion less than six years old.Not passed into law just communicated to outfitters at the stakeholders meeeting. You won't get into trouble if you do
10. Shooting a lioness.No
11. Shooting an African wild dog.no
12. Grazing cattle in the Selous.no
13. Hunting with a semi-automatic shotgun.no - but I would use one when going after wounded leopard thumb
14. Hunting dangerous game with a caliber less than .375 H&H Mag.no
15. Using a night vision device for any purpose, even game viewing.no
16. Shooting a cape buffalo, with none left on license, for meat at the direction of a game warden or scout.no
17. Shooting from a vehicle.no
18. Shooting a cape buffalo, with one or more left on license, with the game scout's FAL. no - let him shoot it Cool

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I agree - but to me the funniest one is that they now allow bowhunting in Selous but at a vastly increased trophy fee - of course no bowhunters will take a rifle and a bow in and give the game guard a few dollars to say everything was shot will they?

one of us
posted Hide Post
jump

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bwanamich for the clarifications on the rule changes.

Now for the extra credit question:

Can you shoot a 17 kg elephant with a .338 while smoking the game scout's marijuana? Big Grin

shakari-- Red Face Red Face Red Face

Mike

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I also liked the Lion's age thing - I guess they expect the PH to either ask the Lion how old he is or alternatively throw him a birthday cake with the correct number of candles and if the Lion just blows them out the client shoots him......if the Lion looks puzzled everyone walks away quickly and leaves the Lion is peace. Smiler

Mrlexma,

In answer to your question - you can't shoot a 17 KG Elephant - even a baby weighs more than that! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mrlexma,

Just so you know, no one got them all correct.

Very close, but no cigar.

Best,
Phil
http://www.go-on-safari.com

Professional Hunter - Tanzania

Posts: 88 | Location: So. Cal & Tanzania | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil,

Don't tease.

I must say that I thought it was illegal in Tanz to kill any female of any species. Is that the the one?

Or is it shooting from a vehicle? Is that legal?

Or is it the shotgun question? I know one safari company that gets special permits from the gov't for its PHs to use semi-auto shotguns--Benellis--for following up leopards. Is that the technicality?

Come on . . . Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mrlexma,

Bwanamich was the closest. What he says is true. I think to quote the regulation, "you cannot shoot young, or females accompanied by young, or females aparently pregnant". So if not 'apparently' pregnant, I would say that you can shoot them, even Lioness' and cow ele's. Will the Game Scout have a stroke, yes. Will you find yourself at the Game Post with the Head man, yes. Is it against the law, not how I read it.

However, it is just not worth it, trying to prove a point.

One problem is the regulations were written in English and when translated, "apparently", becomes "may be" in Swahili. Maybe that female is pregnant, maybe she got bred on the other side of the hill. Maybe she is 5 minutes pregnant. So the Game Scouts don't take any chances and say you cannot shoot them.

Regarding the semi auto. The law says that only one round can be fired with one pull of the trigger. I know many P.H.'s that have semi autos. They were brought in just like all the other weapons. Were checked by Customs and given the OK.

Sometimes you have to read the fine print, and not go on hearsay.

Best,
Phil

Posts: 88 | Location: So. Cal & Tanzania | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the amendment of the rules for elephants, I guess I get a "Get Out of Jail Free" card!

Puts me closer than I thought. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kudude

No amendment of the rules, as they are quite firm. Interpretation is the thing here that will get you into trouble.

When you enter the Selous, the Chief Game Officer gives you a sheet with the same regulatons I quoted.

I asked him, 'according to these regulations the clients can shoot females'. He read them and said ' Yes, they can'. I asked him again. 'Can the clients shoot females ?' He said, 'NO !' 'They cannot'. We spoke for about 5 minutes on the regulation. The final word was No, you cannot shoot females.

How badly do you want to prove your point ? Yes, you can file a court case against them, and maybe, it will come up for mention in 3 years. They may remand you in custody until then as well.

Your call.

Best.
Phil

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Phil.

Yes, kudude, it seems you may be out soon, if you can get a good lawyer. Wink

Mike

one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
I have questions about #2. Is that to say that there is no burning of grass allowed in the Selous only or not by hunters. I understand that grass is burned regularly in Tanzania. Is that in another area like Kilombero? And can a hunter start that fire? Big Grin Or are all fire not allowed?

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
All those fires start by natural combustion- Wink

Which is a good thing as it gives the game new grass and it's illegal to start a bush fire.....so it must be natural combustion.... jump

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KINO,

shakari is not making fun of you. Big Grin He, like me in this thread as a whole, is making fun of one of many things about hunting in Tanz. Cool

More to the point. KINO, you are correct.

Grass IS burned regularly in the Selous.

And it IS illegal to burn grass in the Selous.

Mike

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Quite right - no offense intended. I was just having fun with the game laws. Tanzania is my favourite place to hunt but like all African countries it has it's fair share of strange game laws. However it also has particularly sensible ones that will ensure the success of it's game populations well into the future......

one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
Either way, I know when I make the trip to Tanzania I want to be there to see the fires. Maybe lend a hand. Wink

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I don't know how true it is but I did read somewhere that it's possible to see them from space.......any clever buggers out there who could verify this or otherwise??

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
DISCLAIMER!

On a video of my hunt Selous hunt in 2003, therein is a fellow who looks somewhat like me... old, fat and with a big white mustache.. setting grass afire.

IT IS NOT ME! It is my evil twin, Skippy.

As an aside, I recently sent my passport to the Tanzanian embassy for a visa. I totally had my head up and locked when I sent it and forgot some of the required information. I got not one, but two calls very politely asking that I provide information and explaining my screw-ups. They put my application aside to await my corrected and complete info. Even with my failures and after Fed Ex'ing the stuff I forgot, I got the visa back within 10 days of my originally mailing it. Hats off the the professional and polite employees of Tanzania. Nothing like a good experience with bureaucrats who seem to give a flip. I guess they wisely like tourists/hunters and their bucks. I wish all of Africa was so dad-gum polite and helpful (and U.S. minions, too!)

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7693 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Seq
posted Hide Post
Shakari,
Check out the time delay video clip (the 4.3 MB one) at
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=1505
Blazing inferno on some days.

S.Southern Africa Fires

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Seq,

Thanks for that - Those particular images are for southern Africa but if those fires can be seen from the satellites then the Selous fires surely will.

Many years ago I got caught up in a BIG bush fire in the Zambezi Valley (Mozambique side) and for a while thought I'd had my chips. - we got out of it OK but it's something I'll never forget.......

One of Us
Picture of Seq
posted Hide Post
Shakari,
At the risk of sounding more and more like a "Clever Bugger", I would ask you to look again. Those images extend all the way north of Lake Victoria and the Selous fires, while not as bright and dramatic as those to the south - maybe because there's more woodland - are not at all hard to see.

S.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Seq,

sorry about that - I read the titles before I looked closely at the images......just goes to prove my point that I'm not a clever bugger! Wink