THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Recommendations for a 375H&H...350grain Woodleigh load?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a 375H&H...350grain Woodleigh load?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted
I don't know if many of you have met Dr. Kevin Robertson or have read his books...however, I had the chance to meet him at SCI this year. I purchased his most recent book, "Africa's Most Dangerous". His arguments on rifle caliber and bullet combinations are most compelling. Mind you my African hunting experience is limited by only two safaris but I do find myself agreeing with his conclusions.

Therefore, I have embarked on developing the best possible buffalo load for my 375 H&H. I am starting with Norma brass and using 350 grain Woodleigh soft points. The only problem is no one out there seems to have any good data on powder or suggested starting weights. Can any one help me?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

In exchange I would be happy to share with you all the ulitimate elephant killer! A 416 Remington Magnum using 410 grain Woodleigh solids.

Thanks!

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this thread from over on the Campfire...

375HH & the 350 Woodleigh

Posts: 108 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would contact Geoff at Woodleigh for load suggestions. He has been very helpful to myself and others.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of working up this same load. Ray Atkinson was kind enough to forward his data which I am using.
WW cases Fed 215 primers.
RL15 at 65gr gave me 2298fps ave with a sd of 4. 66gr gave me 2325 ave with sd of 8. No signs of excess pressure. I have loaded 66.5 and 67gr but have not had a chance to shoot those yet. These were shot in my pre 64 M70 and it likes this bullet alot. Groups of well under 1 moa.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Yeh, I think I got mime from Ray but is has been posted several times.

65 gr. of RL-15 gave me about 2350 fps. I goosed it up a bit from there but probably not needed.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the input. I am looking at 66 grains of Reloader 15 or else 69 grains of H 4350. I will post my results once I have had a chance to test these loads out.

Would you consider the 375 too light for elephant or should I stick with my 416 Remington?

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good success using 72 grains of Australian made ADI 2209 and 350 grain Woodleigh FMJ and Protected Points in my Parker Hale model 81.

The ADI web site has a comparison chart allowing you to find other equivalent powders that may be more readily available to you.

i get about 2350 fps with this load.

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
I am loading 70grs. of H-4350. It is a good acurate load, and performed well on a water buffalo. I will be using this load again for cape buffalo in september.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Load data from the Barnes Bullets - Reloading Manual Number One (Copyright 1992) for the .375 H&H Mag using the 350gr Barnes Original bullet. This is a lead core bullet; NOT an "X" bullet. It's similar in construction to the Woodleigh. While the Barnes Original is not the same bullet as the Woodleigh, of course, it should be possible to at least use this data as a guideline for working up loads with the 350 gr Woodleigh but I haven't tried it.

Note: I do not know what kind of pressure testing Barnes did for Manual Number One. It's not stated in the manual. Under the notes for the .375 H&H, the manual states: "When shooting for this manual, we used Barnes brass, Federal 215 primers and a 26 inch barrel." Usual caveats apply about starting below max and working up.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just love the AR community.

You guys...( and gals)... are so helpful. Being a newbie of sorts to the wonderful world of big game hunting, it is great to have a group who not only relate to me, but can give of their own wisdom and experience.

Thank you all for your input!

Dr. Tim

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BFaucett:
Load data from the Barnes Bullets - Reloading Manual Number One (Copyright 1992) for the .375 H&H Mag using the 350gr Barnes Original bullet. This is a lead core bullet; NOT an "X" bullet. It's similar in construction to the Woodleigh. While the Barnes Original is not the same bullet as the Woodleigh, of course, it should be possible to at least use this data as a guideline for working up loads with the 350 gr Woodleigh but I haven't tried it.

Note: I do not know what kind of pressure testing Barnes did for Manual Number One. It's not stated in the manual. Under the notes for the .375 H&H, the manual states: "When shooting for this manual, we used Barnes brass, Federal 215 primers and a 26 inch barrel." Usual caveats apply about starting below max and working up.

-Bob F.

Bob,

Yeh, that's it!

I'm glad you are around to re-post this every time the subject comes up.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Just finished shooting the other 2 loads.
66.5 gr of RL 15 gave 2403 ave.
67 gr gave 2413 ave.
I'm ready for the Selous! dancing

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:Bob,

Yeh, that's it!

I'm glad you are around to re-post this every time the subject comes up.

I'm glad I can help out every now and then. Smiler

-Bob F. beer Smiler

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote