New
Find
Notify
Tools

PH Qualifications
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for information on the qualifications a PH is required to have (written exam, apprenticeship, PH course etc) and annual payments required by the respective govt/game dept/PH associations for the countries listed below. For resident and non residents

Zimbabwe
Namibia
Botswana
Zambia
Mozambique
Tanzania
Uganda
CAR
Cameroon
Ethiopia

Thanks

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe

Minimum 2 year apprenticeship in Zimbabwe holding a learners licence ( issued by National Parks ),this is a written exam comprising

- habits and habitat
- law
- firearm
- general

This is held twice / year

Shoot 5 DG animals ( elephant and buffalo ), yourself
Accompany as many DG hunts as possible
Conduct PG hunts alone during tis period

Obtain an advanced medical certificate ( renewable every 3 years )
Pass your shooting test ( held by national Parks and ZPHGA )
- guides 85 points
- hunters 115 points,

This is held twice / year

Pass an Oral interview ( held by National Parks and ZPHGA ), this is held once/ year

Pass a 7 day practical held in a remote area ( held by National parks and ZPHGA ), this is held once/ year

* Minimum 5 O' levels
* Only Citizens and residents can obtain a licence

Cost

Full PH $ 200 renewable every year
LPH $ 50 renewable every year

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin,
That is pretty impressive as I don't think that it should be easy to get a PH's license like in other places where you just have to pass a "course".

That's why Zim PH's are so good I guess!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin thanks for taking the time to lay it out so clearly - appreciatted

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just noticed that the ZPHGA website is "sponsored by www.accuratereloading.com".

WOW! Kudos to Saeed! tu2 tu2 tu2

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed seems to be willing to put his money where his mouth is.
Thanks Saeed.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SteveGl:
I just noticed that the ZPHGA website is "sponsored by www.accuratereloading.com".

WOW! Kudos to Saeed! tu2 tu2 tu2

Ya, I just wish that they would clean the site up a bit. I emailed them over a year ago to tell them that their Banner quote "Ethics is Everything" was mispelled. I also suggested that they get a better home page photo to represent their level of professionalism. The current one of the "PH's", one with the gun leaning into his crotch and the other guy with his fingers in the barrel make them look like IDIOTS! Just my humble opinion Roll Eyes

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
JCS, your opinion may be humble, but it is certainly an accurate observation.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
For the level of professionalism of the Zim PH's, I too was baffled by the same obeservations on their website.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do seem to be a bit behind on things. Their latest newsletter says that they "hope to see many of you again in 2009", but in all fairness, it must be something of a challenge just to stay in business there these days. Smiler

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote