New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Buff
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone ever try to raise/breed/domesticate these amimals like cattle?

Posts: 95 | Location: Baker, Louisiana | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
They're often bred commercially in South Africa and a few other other African countries....

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post

Apart from our core safari hunting business - we also do wildlife conservation including (buff breeding)
projects on Dendro Park Ranch - Zambia. These are some recently captured babies in quarantine pens

Joanne seen @ Dendro Park in Zambia with Sally our raised pet cape buff
This is an old picture and Sally is now grown up with nice full set of horns

The second cape buff behind is Girlie, she has since returned to the herds
Both Sally and Girlie were rescued when babies, found stuck in mud holes

EMAIL Peter  Balla-Balla Company Portfolio
Peter J. Bird

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've often wondered if the better hunting challenge might be the Spanish fighting bull if they were turned loose in a suitable environment. Seems like you would have a guaranteed charge on your hands.

The bunny-huggers will probably elimenate bull fights at some point in time. Maybe hunting would be a better route.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard there were some feral Spanish fighting bulls available for hunting somewhere in Mexico. Would like to learn more about it, if anybody has any info.

Posts: 515 | Location: AZ | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by interboat:
I've heard there were some feral Spanish fighting bulls available for hunting somewhere in Mexico. Would like to learn more about it, if anybody has any info.

I think Ray Atkinson has done that or knows who to call. PM Ray.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I heard of Murray Burnham hunting wild cattle in the cane breaks along the Rio Grande in West Texas.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Is wild cattle hunting avaliable in Texas today?
I might be interested if it is.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We often hunt wild or "scrub bulls" in Australia, they are a real challange, very wild and no curiousity. They can also be very aggressive. If you chase one into thick cover they may very well wait for you!

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walker:
Years ago I heard of Murray Burnham hunting wild cattle in the cane breaks along the Rio Grande in West Texas.

This was on the Burnham ranch nere Langtry, Texas. They were not fighting bulls, but simply wild Spanish cattle. I lived in Langtry when a child, in the early 1940s, and there were lots of wild cattle along the river there in the sea cane breaks. The cowboys would shoot one once in a while, and have a BBQ. Murry Burnham took one of the gun writers down there with his 458 win mag Mod 70, and almost got him killed, in that tight cover along the river. I think they have all been shot out today. I've seen both shot, and I don't think any wild cow, or fighting bull could hold a light for a Cape Buffalo to fight by.

Though all cattle can take a lot of punishment, I believe you could put a Cape Buffalo bull in the pin with three of the best fighting bulls in Spain, and he would kill all three, and still be on his feet! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I stand by my thoughts from the last time we discussed this. Form an organization devoted to hunting wild moo cows & come up with a really neat logo for the hats!! thumb
I'm on board!!

Mike

"Too lazy to work and too nervous to steal"

Posts: 201 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post