New
Find
Notify
Tools

375H&H Marlin Lever Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Marlin has a poll asking which cartridge you'd like to see a new lever rifle chambered in. One of the options is the 375H&H. I think that would be one cool gun, especially if it were a takedown version, that would be a great travel to africa rifle. If you like that idea as well, vote here.
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
That would sure be one long cartridge to work through a lever action. Interesting to contemplate, though. I'd think something like the new 338 Ruger or 375 Ruger might be easier to work with in a lever action.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're probably right on the 375 ruger being better. It would sure be a fun gun for bears.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
308 would be a great lever gun caliber, I think.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I voted for the 454 casull rossi makes on in the puma it would be great for anything that walks in a light handy rifle

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 308 already exists as a lever rifle. It's called the Browning BLR and the Savage 99 even though the 99 is out of production. Most of the choices they give you already exist except for the 223 and 375.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i voted 375 h&h but would like to see 475 linebaugh (10 rounds of a potent cartridge) or the 50 alaskan or 50-110

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at these, they go my attention
http://forums.accuratereloadin...4711043/m/9111029801

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a .470 Turnbull? It fits the Marlin 336 action with almost no modification. If they are contemplating an action long enough for the 375 H&H, than I would prefer a 475 Turnbull.

posted Hide Post
How about the .500S&W in a Marlin?

Posts: 21 | Location: Austria | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I' d like to see the .500S&W chambered in a Marlin.We developed a 275gr conical flat point Solid for the .500's (I will test it in the Encore soon) and expect it to travel close to 2400 fps from a rifle barrel.

Posts: 21 | Location: Austria | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a turnbull converted 1895 marlin in 50 alaskan. This would be a good choice. 535 grain woodleigh at 2050 out of my 26 inch barrel.

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAelknuts:
308 would be a great lever gun caliber, I think.

You have a .308 lever rifle already in the mod 88 Win, You also had the .307Win,in the 94 and it didn't get much interest. All it was is a 308, with a simi-rimmed case and a flat nosed bullet.

Guys missed a real chance with this .307 Win Case, to make a simi-rimmed 243 Win for combo guns,and double rifles. One wouldn't even have to buy dies to load it, only a rimmed shell holder for the 307, and dies for the 243 Win.

That could have been chambered in a win 94, .307 action, or a very light handy double rifle.

The 375 H&H could be wrapped in a lever action as well, but not on the Marlin system. Something on the order of the 1895 Win, with a 4 shot stacked magazine,instead of the tube type, and incorperating the turn bolt lock-up like the BLR, for strength.

Personally I think it would make more sense to go with the slide action with a multi-lug turn bolt like the BLR with a stagered Box magazine! Easier to build as well!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Can a .308, .270.,.375 etc be used in a tubular magazine?

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It probably could be egineered to do so as long as the point of the bullet does not impact on the primer of the round in front of it. Years ago Remington offered a very fine pump action w/ tubular magazine which had spirals permitting the offset of the point of the bullet. I had two of these in 35Rem. and generations before me killed a lot of West Virginia deer and black bear with them. Not sure why one would want a lever gun in such a caliber, but to each his own. I definitely like the BLR's offered and in reality they shoot like a bolt gun, but uses a gear actuated lever system and rotating front lock up on the bolt.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
375 JDJ ... a no brainer using 444 Marlin as a platform. I have a double in the caliber and like it a lot.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote