THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Bulawayo - What to do?? and Where to stay??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bulawayo - What to do?? and Where to stay??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We will be making our first trip into Bulawayo over the summer, and will probably stay overnight. Is there anything fun to do there??

And where should we stay??

Thanks for the advice.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
A beautiful place to stay is Nesbitt Castle. Go and visit the Museum in Bulawayo and have a meal at a restaurant called Roosters.

Cheers

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Haven't been there since 2004 but used to spend quite a bit of time with friends there. So I always stayed with them so really have no idea of accommodations there. I do remember there was a place called ,I believe, the Cattleman that served the absolutely best steak and seafood I had in Africa. And by American standards it was practically free. I too can heartily reccommend the Museum also. It is full of Zimbabwe early times and when I was there it was in very good condition. I never failed to buy a pair of Courtney Boots at GEKAS (they had the absolute best selection in Bulawayo at that time, I traded there for 8 years, excellant selection of clothes also). When I was there there were no retail sales from the factory. I got a tour from the owner as I had met him at an SCI convention in Las Vegas. Pay particular attention to the native rock walls around some of the places. The workmanship and design are like no other I have ever seen and I pay attention to such things when I travel. Also look at some of the thatching on some of the roofs.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
My wish list

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
Is the Bulawayo Club still an option? I know ownership changed recently.

Beau

Posts: 79 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sittingjn bulawayo now. I have stayed at the castle before, it is pretty cool. Matopos park is about 25 minutes out of town, I think anout $10 to get in. Well worth it. There are some rhino in there as well as other plains game. Not alot, but the views are worth it. Throw in a pair of hiking boots to climb up the rocks and go to Cecil Rhodes grave.
Contact terry anders of forever african safaris, he lives here and has proper A frame tents with ensuite facilities set up in hillsdie dam park right in bulawayo and can do a nice bush dinner.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Texas Blue Devil,

As Thierry says the Nesbitt Castle is a good place to stay and has a quirky atmosphere. Another spot is the Banff Lodge Hotel with a New Orleans atmosphere. Make sure to ask for a room with a shower and not just a tub. Great food and drink there.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The BLB:
Is the Bulawayo Club still an option? I know ownership changed recently.

I stayed there a coupl of years ago, the service was good but if you need aircon they didn't have it. For me it was a good place- bit of history in there- for spending the night before being picked by my PH the following morning.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Just checked on the net and the Cattleman is still in service and the reviews are favorable. Appears just as I remember it. One of the sons of my friends (he is now a PH) always liked to go there as he loved Prawns and they had huge ones. When I was there the beef was typically superb Zimbabwe beef.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
[EMAIL] [/EMAIL]

The museum is worth visiting.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thierry provides good advice here. Nesbitt Castle is an amazing oasis of beauty, castle antiquity and good service. It really does look like a castle.
Roosters offers good food and is owned by a local professional hunter, not Thierry.
Bulawayo Club is like a museum. Accommodations were Spartan but it was a trip back to Rhodesian dignity with pictures and memorabilia of better times.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Take a drive to Matopos Park.
The museum is really cool.
Visit Fazaks in the center of town for tourist shopping and let the prick owner follow you around the store quoting you inflated prices.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the museum of natural history(Ithink it is called) is Cecil Rhodes death mask, a live mount elephant and all in all some pretty cool stuff. Obviously a lay over from the white rule.It is close t Nesbitt castle or the Bulowayo club.

One of Us
Picture of IH
posted Hide Post
I spent two days in Nesbitt castle in 2014, it is worth to stay, beautiful out look, grand rooms, marvelous lush green garden and food at rooster is awesome.
Highly recommended.
IH

Posts: 192 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 14 October 2012Reply With Quote