New
Find
Notify
Tools

What a fine sport we have..!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Contemplating a little this morning....I cant think of any better hobby than hunting and shooting, and African hunting seems to bring it into hyperdrive (whatever that is..)..for many of us..me included.

Just look at some of our own octagonarians, Mac, Ray, Xausa...still glowing about Africa and hunting..indeed this is a sport one can pursue well into the eighties, health permitting..

Hell, at 55, hunting is what keeps me exercizing (boring at times) and eating reasonably healthy..

Any thoughts Gentlemen..?

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live for hunting. Traipsing about in wild places is the greatest adventure possible. I am very fortunate in that my wonderful wife and family understand and support my passion. At 60 years of age I hope my best years are ahead, health willing.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2082 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The physical training is very good, but the mental aspect is also amazingly good for you. I`m hunting reindeer next weekend and have been looking forward to this for such a long time. When you sit in an office all day, getting to go out and enjoy the peaceful nature looking some animals. We have a slim chance getting a shot this year, but I know that trip will do me so much good anyways Smiler

On the african side of it, can?t wait for birthdat present for myself. Hunting buffalo somewhere wild in Southern Africa Smiler It`s still 3 years out, but just thinking about it makes me happy Big Grin

Posts: 1091 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the mental aspect as well...I have hunted Africa every year sine 2013 and intend to do so as long as possible...going elephant hunting again in december Big Grin

The trick is to stop buying new cars and other crap you dont really need..

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had two in a row 2013-2014, but then my better half got pregnant. Haven`t been since that. Strange coincidence Wink

Where are you going for elephant? Zim?

As for buyig crap, that never stops it seems Wink After we got a new house, the crap never ends shocker

Posts: 1091 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
Contemplating a little this morning....I cant think of any better hobby than hunting and shooting, and African hunting seems to bring it into hyperdrive (whatever that is..)..for many of us..me included.

Just look at some of our own octagonarians, Mac, Ray, Xausa...still glowing about Africa and hunting..indeed this is a sport one can pursue well into the eighties, health permitting..

Hell, at 55, hunting is what keeps me exercizing (boring at times) and eating reasonably healthy..

You are still a spring chicken clap

I am 67, and walk about quite a bit.

Last two years I averaged 3600-3700 kilometers a year.

Walter hates walking! rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed...you have hunted more in Africa than most of us can dream of...and you REALLY need to exercise Walther... tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed...you have hunted more in Africa than most of us can dream of...and you REALLY need to exercise Walther... tu2

Walter needs a lot more than just walking!

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I've been a hunter since the age of 10 and I'm 70 now. I joined AR in 2008, and read with great interest the reports from Saeed and many others. Finally in 2012, at the age of 65, I decided to give an African hunt a try. My Dad had just passed away at the age of 91, and I knew he'd want me to spend at least part of my inheritance on a hunt. So I took half my inheritance and set up 529 College Trusts for my 4 grandkids. The other half became my African Hunt fund. Using AR, I found a great deal on a Namibian Plains Game hunt with Sebra Hunting Safaris. My hunt was successful beyond my wildest dreams and I've now hunted with Sebra four times in 5 years. My off years were because of knee and gallbladder surgeries. I'll continue to hunt with Sebra as long as I'm physically able to, hopefully into my 80's. It is a great source of enjoyment, and keeps me motivated to stay in reasonable shape.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm in the middle at 59 years old and one of the things that I most look forward to is planning for my next hunt. The walking and shooting keeps me motivated and moving.

Wifezilla gets to pick the vacations for two years and I go to Africa every third year. No, there is no option of taking Wifezilla with me, it's just not her thing.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
quote:

tu2

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am 66. Our sport draws me into two loves: hunting and guns.

My parents started me and my brothers at a young age, first shooting and safety, and then hunting rabbits and squirrels. Later, we hunted quail and pheasants also. Sunday dinner at our house was always chicken, or rabbit, squirrel, quail & pheasant if it was hunting season, mashed potatoes & gravy and pumpkin pie for desert. When I went off to college, and then started work, I took a 15 year hiatus from all things hunting. Started again in my 40s, and it has been my main avocation since, among many others.

Started big game hunting some time after I moved to Colorado; antelope, deer and elk. Then began hunting in Wyoming as well. I still hunt rabbits, squirrels and birds with my Springer Spaniels.

After reading about African hunting for years, a good friend asked me to go with him in 2001. Life has not been the same since. I have made 7 safaris there and have my next one planned for next year. My life seems to revolve around planning my next one. It is constantly on my mind. Every day.

Life is good... Smiler

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am 46 - did my first Africa safari at 39- done 5 and will do 6th in a few months.

Unlike most ar members I have lost interest in African hunting.

Actually to be more correct in killing stuff in Africa. I have zero interest in taxidermy or trophies.

Last safari i shot 2 impalas.

I like guns.

I will be back in Africa cause I just like being there. The killing stuff has gotten boring. I can just go walk around and shot an impala for the pot.

It is easier on my bank book.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
I am getting pretty close to 65, and although I still like shooting certain animals (mostly DG), I find killing an animal is less important than all of the other aspects of the hunt.

Hunting without killing is not hunting IMO. The so-called "moment-of-truth" is when you squeeze off the trigger while focusing on the sight picture.

I have just reached a point where I am much more selective of what I kill.

But to each his own.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1 to your thought process Andre...as I just arrived home from a successful double ele hunt. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started big game hunting when I was 22. Haven't done all that much of it yet, but leaving for South Africa in 12 days for a double buffalo hunt that I gave myself for my 30th birthday. My biggest fear is that there isn't going to be much hunting when I reach my 60's or 70's. The wife and I got our budget laid out so I can do a moderate priced ($5000ish) trip every year now. I'm intending to make the best of that while I can. I've certainly met some wonderful people through hunting and shooting.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 61 and have hunted Africa 13 times now.

As a typical bloody Aussie, I love to shoot a lot, so it's PG for me.

I love Kudu and Bushbuck......and Oryx.

And a baboon cull is, well it makes roo shooting boring. Big Grin

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:
I'm 61 and have hunted Africa 13 times now.

As a typical bloody Aussie, I love to shoot a lot, so it's PG for me.

I love Kudu and Bushbuck......and Oryx.

And a baboon cull is, well it makes roo shooting boring. Big Grin

Bloody hell!
Baboon cull?

Doesn't it make feel you are murdering your own relatives? clap