New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hairy Lions roam around SCI Reno!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
At the show I bumped into a friend of mine who was looking very happy with himself after all he had just found a terrific deal and a great outfit! He announced that he was about to book a lion hunt in Zimbabwe all told for $26,000! Now said gentleman has always been very keen to shoot a WILD, MGM lion and has turned down smaller lions on previous Zim safaris.

He is very excited to show me the lion trophies obtained by his wonderful new PH to be! So off we go to take a look. Somewhere around the top of Isle 300-600 I forget which one. I see two PHs dressed in orange shirts!!! I look at the pics in the booth to see images of about six or so dead Canned lions taken this year. He assures me that they are all taken in Zim! For those of you who don't know what a canned lion looks like, it has massive amounts of hair nearly half way down it's back and a long unnatural looking mane!

Anyway I now start the questioning, where in Zim are such hairy lions being hunted. The PH (have patience the name will be revealed shortly for those who want to jump on this great deal) says that these are mainly PAC animals and are hunted all over the country. They get called by the government / game dept. to come and deal with these troublesome beasts. After all one never knows when and where a hairy monster or two might make an appearance and start killing natives and their cattle! I guess the lucky (or unlucky) hunter waits patiently until the call comes that they have to rush to a spot where sleepy (read drugged) Leo waits his fate. One does get sleepy on a full stomach of poor Africans and their cattle.

I am sure this is an exciting and dangerous hunt and my friend was very lucky to have none other than the great PH Wayne Jardine back him up. For those of you who want to book a lion hunt he was one of two gentlemen selling these hunts. I am told that he has been struck off the list of the ZPHA for poaching in the National Parks amongst other things. Any honest Zim PH at the show was able to tell me this including some who are well respected on this very forum. I wonder why SCI is allowing such operators to have a booth and peddle these unfortunate animals? Perhaps they don't know!!!

If one wants to shoot a canned lion that's your personal business but someone should be honest enough to tell you that. Perhaps those who want to shoot one don't care to know!!!

I guess the lesson in this also is the simple rule "if it is too good to be true it is not". How can anyone offer a free range lion hunt for half the price of anyone else!

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Disappointing. I have heard rumors of bad things involving him. I guess they are true.

Wayne was one of our PH's on our first safari in 1988. I have been with him 2 other times, 1996 being the last.

Sounds like he has taken a turn for the worse.

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI had likely not gotten the official news. Hey, they got a start with marky sullivan.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I remember someone asking what would happen to all lions that were raised in SA now that SA outlawed canned lions. The implication was that the breeders would have to put them down.

I chuckled an thought, "how much would a Zim night shift border guard charge to look the other way?"

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reddy:

Who was the other PH?

Posts: 12104 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Wayne Jardine was educated in the art of ethics and integrity by the infamous Basil Steyn.....

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just as a point of interest Basil owns The Elephant and Lion walk in Vic Falls and has these animals trained near West Nicholsen Zim.
Wayne was also a partner with Basil's son. Matter a fact one of his PH's son was mauled by one of the lions.Tristan Peacock. No need to go to South Africa.

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Neil:

+1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's the dream of hunting AFRICA, and then there's guys like this.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
26k is the first red flag. Sounds too good to be true . . . and it is.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am 99% certain that some lions shot in Zimbabwe have been trucked in from South Africa.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68782 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am 99% certain that some lions shot in Zimbabwe have been trucked in from South Africa.

SAVE !!!

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trucked in?

Probably bred in situ

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kayaker:
Trucked in?

Probably bred in situ

+1

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13443 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote