New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crocodile Hunters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Over the weekend I received a book from a friend titled "EYELIDS OF MORNING, THE MINGLED DESTINIES OF CROCODILES AND MEN" by Alistair Graham and Peter Beard. I never heard of this book before receiving it as a gift. This book is fantastic.

A scientific study was conducted on Lake Rudolph, Kenya. During the course of the study 500 crocodiles had to be shot. The photos of the crocs are not to be believed, they are dinosaurs.There are a few gruesome photos, like the leg of a Peace Corps worker in a cardboard box. The leg was all that was found from a croc attack that occurred in Ethiopia.

The book was published in 1973. This book definitely deserves a place in your hunting library.

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick

Check the video link in the first posting...Mike

http://www.australianhunting.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1627

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
So Kathi, you have my intrest. that sounds like a good book, do you want to sell your copy? I would really like to read it

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I read this book many years ago. How did you like the photos of the bite sized chunks of people that were removed from the big Croc? They kind of made me a bit quesy.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was prompted to "sign-in" Mike.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick,

Then just register as normal as there are a few Australians on that site that are also on AR. The video alone is worth it It is an Austrlian gun forum.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter Beard is an utstanding photographer who thrives on taking photographs of wildlife and Africana that are meant to shock and question us. His other famous book and one of my all time favorite is "the end of the game". If you haven't read that book, you are missing something....

Happy hunting!

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I�ve read all his work, his books on the mass death of elephants in the Tsavo is very impressive. His newest book is "Zaras tales", lot�s of great pics from his home in Kenya (named Hog Ranch) and some autobiographical things. I can highly recommend anything written by Beard. I�ve found most of his books on amazon.com.

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
While I admire his photographic work, his message is clearly anti-hunting. Try as I might, I have yet to discern any effort on his part to make a distinction between legitimate sporthunting and poaching.

Mike375 - No luck locating the video.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Don't slap the croc

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

Yes, it's a good book. I read it when it came out. I'm sure Ray did back when he was a boy too The Omo River in SW Ethiopia empties into Lake Turkana (Rudolph in the colonial days). We 've lost a few workers to these croc's. They go to the river to wash off and don't come back. The Hammer drive their cattle and goats to the river to drink. The boys throw rocks to drive off the croc's. In actuality, when the croc's hear the rocks they come for dinner. In Feb. of 1985 my wife shot a 14' 8" croc there. Back when they weren't importable into the USA we had a high stack of huge croc skins behind the skinners shack. These are nothing compared to the big ones foundin the lower Rift Valley Lakes. These are more like the Turkana Croc's. Our first taken was 17' and he had a foot or better of tail missing.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever happened to "Don't bite the hand that feeds you..."? Just a lesson in animal behavior...pull that trigger in an critter's brain and look out!

Posts: 180 | Location: Mt. Vernon,Ohio, USA | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No connection to the book but I have just read an interesting report. Apparently in Burundi's section of Lake Tanganyika there resides a crocodile named Gustave. Gustave is, according to the report, 12 meters in length and is reputed to be responsible for some 3000 deaths. Now that is scary!

Posts: 84 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mike, the typical Thai crocodile shows. Better early than at the finale:

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Mike, the typical Thai crocodile shows. Better early than at the finale:

Aah the famous corkscrew trick.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a copy of Eyelids for a few years, and it's a good read. In order to shoot their quota of crocs for research, these guys would wade into the lake at night and shine for eyes, then shoot! Gives me the creeps just thinking about it. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I saw a video of a Thai who did get grabbed by the head.
Guess they've got a real yen for it!

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I saw a video of a Thai who did get grabbed by the head.
Guess they've got a real yen for it!

Take a corkscrew. Give it a few twists and voila, pop, the cork comes out.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Gustave Article: Gustave

Note it says 300 victims, not 3000. The whole thing is media B.S. Should "Gustave" prove to be even 6 meters long, I shall exhume Patrice Lumumba and eat his socks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Holy crap that video is scary. You know something is imminent, but DAMN when it happens the poor chap trying to earn a living monkeying around for tourists gets well and truly hammered!!!!

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CROCODILE ATTACK ON TEENAGER Dec 15 2004

A TEENAGER washing his face in a lake at night was suddenly gripped by a large crocodile.

It sprang out of the water in the dark and clamped its jaws around Drewe Ramsden's head.

His friends were shocked by the speed of its silent attack in Queensland, Australia.

But they screamed and threw tins of beer and rocks at it.

Their 18-year-old pal punched it and managed to get free before the 8ft saltwater crocodile slid back into the Barron River in Cairns.

Drewe, who needed nine stitches on the puncture wounds on his head and neck, said: 'I had my head under the water. My mates were calling out 'Croc, croc' but I didn't hear them.

'I didn't even know what it was but I fought it off.'

One of his friends stemmed the blood flow with a T-shirt while another pal raised the alarm.

Jarrah Ella, 19, who was one of the group sitting around drinking, said it was a shocking attack in an area where there had been no recent sightings of crocodiles.

He said the first they knew it was there was when they heard 'a bit of splash and commotion'.

He said: 'I looked up and saw what looked like a tiny boat powering through the water with this wave in front of it and then we realised it was a croc and it was going straight for Drewe.'

Wildlife rangers set traps for the crocodile yesterday.

Drewe said the attack would not put him off returning to fish.

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote