Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on trigger pull weight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Gents, I'd like your thoughts on the ideal trigger pull weight for a .300 WinMag rifle for plains game.

My son Will and I are leaving in 12 days for Zimbabwe. He has practiced a lot with the rifle, but to be honest, I think the trigger is too light for him. For sure, too light is better than too heavy but I think his confidence would be better with a bit heavier pull.

His rifle is a Merkel Helix and luckily the Steyr/Merkel factory gunsmith is 10 miles from my house. Next Monday he is going to adjust the trigger for me so I'd like opinions on pull weight. I was thinking about 3 1/2 pounds (according to the Merkel website it is currently 800 grams which is 1.75 pounds approx.)

Thanks!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I like a light/crisp trigger but if he doesn't, 3.5 lbs should make him feel more comfortable.
I like mine right around 2 lbs.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I had a mix of shots

100 all the way through 341 yards

The average was 200

I like a light trigger with no creep for shots like these

2.5 to 3 lbs

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Triggers are a personal preference and while I favor lighter (2lbs) 3.5lbs is certainly not heavy. But are you sure you want to change this late if he has been practicing a lot as you said? If you change it a week from today that is 5 days from departure. What if it hurts rather than helps?

Just a thought.

Best of luck to both of you on the hunt.

Regards,

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I think your instincts are sound Paul. The existing pull is awfully light when you roll into the mix your son's age coupled with a little excitement and nervousness.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents.

I have worried about changing now that he has been practicing for the last four months with the Merkel. But in general, I pretty much worry every decision I make will make things worse.

One the other hand, he has shot my AHR/CZ .30-'06 and his Steyr Scout also and likes those triggers more than the Merkel's. My AHR rifle's trigger is 3 1/2 pounds.

As Mike said, the light trigger coupled with the excitement of Africa might be a poor mix.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find 2.5 pounds about right. If you can, all your rifles should be close to the same including your 22 LR this will make for some really consistent practice.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like everything at 3 lbs. so they are all consistent. No surprises that way.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you are right I would not go under 3 lbs

quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
Thanks Gents.

I have worried about changing now that he has been practicing for the last four months with the Merkel. But in general, I pretty much worry every decision I make will make things worse.

One the other hand, he has shot my AHR/CZ .30-'06 and his Steyr Scout also and likes those triggers more than the Merkel's. My AHR rifle's trigger is 3 1/2 pounds.

As Mike said, the light trigger coupled with the excitement of Africa might be a poor mix.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
40 ounces for me but to each his/her own! Nothing worse for my accuracy than a too heavy trigger...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
I like 2.5 to 3 lbs with no creep.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:

That works out quite well for my needs.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have adjusted my 375/404 for 2 pounds.

Have been using it, as well as many other hunters have been using it, for many years, and the love it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

That works out quite well for my needs.

Same for me.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I use the Rice Krispies rule. Snap is okay. Crackle is bad. Pop is best. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most agree it seems on light and crisp!!
I personally hate trigger creep.
I have mine set to "break like glass" at 2.5lbs..
Somewhere in that range seems to be a consensus...
Weight around a few ounces there matters less than the proper sudden break of the trigger.
I never liked the old CZ Bruno's or the Savage creepy trigger pull

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2.5 to 3.0, minimal creep, minimal over travel. You can change the trigger at this late date, as long as you don't try to make it lighter. Muscle memory can deal with having to pull more, but if you adjust it lighter, you will pull right past it.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see a problem with 2 pounds, and I'm inclined not to make any changes at the last minute.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote