Find
Notify
Tools

450 Rigby vs. 458 Lott
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted
as thinking to order bolt action in 458 Lott but got an advise that 458 might have problems with repeat and that it is better to go with 450 Rigby. I'll appreciate on any opinion on the matter.

Never buy your gun from "Hendersot's sporting goods inc."

Posts: 70 | Location: London UK | Registered: 07 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Problems with what?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me i would go with the Lott ( i have used one extensively for that past 6 years) for the following reasons
1)Ammo readily available compared to the .450 Rigby
2)Bigger magazine capacity
3)Can shoot .458 Win mag if necessary
4)Using normal loads it is as good as you need for anything in Africa.

I take it that you have heard that the Lott has problems feeding? I have one built on a BRNO ZKK 602 action and have never had a problem no matter how fast i cycle the bolt - you do need to use a fair amount of force to close the bolt - it is not smooth like a knife through butter but i have never had a jam or failed feed

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russian:
as thinking to order bolt action in 458 Lott but got an advise that 458 might have problems with repeat and that it is better to go with 450 Rigby. I'll appreciate on any opinion on the matter.
458 Lott is good! No problem with repeat.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Lott in .458 caliber because rifles in that caliber have more than adequate power and relatively high magazine capacity. Mine holds five down and with one in the chamber is a six shooter.

If more power is needed or desired, then you should go up in caliber, to a .470 or .500. That will give you a significantly bigger punch.

More than you would get by merely adding another 100 fps or so to the Lott's velocity with the same .458" bullets, as the Rigby does.

Lotts can be finicky feeders, but that's not always the case, and any that are can be made to feed smoothly by a competent gunsmith.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote