Find
Notify
Tools

Two Guns Same Caliber on Safari?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted
I was having a conversation with a friend the other day about whether I should add a second gun in the same caliber or a different caliber to my primary rifle, which is a double in 450/400.

You can assume that the game to be hunted will be buffs and hippos. Also assume that carrying two kinds of ammo isn't an issue.

Question:
Should I add a second rifle in the same or a different caliber? Either way, it will be scoped.

Choices:
Ruger #1 in 450/400
Bolt rifle in 375 H&H

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may want to check with the laws of the country you are planning to hunt in. IIRC, some countries do not allow the importation of two rifles in the same caliber by an individual. Not sure the reason, but I seem to recall this is the case.

I guess the way around it would be to have your hunting partner, if you are going with one, have your second rifle in their custody.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Msichana
posted Hide Post
450/400

If you have to travel through Joburg to obtain a rifle permit, you won't be allowed to bring 2 rifles of the same caliber. You can bring 2 rifles of different caliber.

Posts: 122 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Really? I didn't know that. We did it in '05 with no issue...

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Just curious; does anyone know the rationale behind this rule?

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Slug,

beaurocracy needs a rationale ??? Roll Eyes

SA will not allow an individual hunter to bring thru 2 firearms of the same calibre, if there are more than one hunter and they all have a common calbre, no problem.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
COMMUNISM HAS NO RHYME NO REASON NO LOGIC

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500nitro:
Slug,

SA will not allow an individual hunter to bring thru 2 firearms of the same calibre, if there are more than one hunter and they all have a common calbre, no problem.

Please help me with an interpretation. I had been led to believe that two rifles of the same CARTRIDGE were not permitted, but that two rifles of the same calibre, but of different cartidges were ok.

For example, you could bring in a 458wm and a 458 Lott no problem, or a 375H&H and a 375 Weatherby...

But not two, say, 450/400's.

Am I wrong?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kwan:
COMMUNISM HAS NO RHYME NO REASON NO LOGIC

Yeah. That's why the Soviet Union collapsed. Guess some people still haven't figured that out yet.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have been taking two rifles of the same caliber - 375/404 - to Africa for the past 12 years.

I have passed through South Africa on a number of occasions, and have had no problems at all.

I was in transit through South Africa.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Slug:

if you have two of the same caliber, you may want to start a war! ConfusedIn the lack of minds homerof the "New" South African firearm law drafters any person with two rifles of the same caliber is a potential threat to our national security. Yet, as noted by 500nitro, a whole group of hunters, all with the identical caliber, is no problem! Go figure it out for yourself.killpc

In good hunting.

Andrew MCLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
SmilerIn October we overnighted in Jo'Burg on our way to Mozambique for buffalo. Had one gun case for my wife and I, so we checked with our outfitter ahead of time about bringing a 375 H&H and a 375 Weatherby in the same case. Their advice - not worth the risk of a hassle from the semi-informed officials clearing firearms at the Jo'Burg airport. So, we took two cases...

Different cartridge, but same caliber.

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
This is a very interesting twist to my original question. It is obvious that everyone thinks that taking an additional rifle in a different caliber is the way to go...except for Saeed.

I like the idea of having a backup and only one type of ammo, but I see both sides of the argument.

I would like to hear from Saeed on why he takes two rifles in the same caliber. Obviously if you are taking rifles to or thru Jo'burg you could have a problem. And for that reason alone, my question is answered.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We take two rifles of the same caliber, using the same load, to simplify things.

Several of us use these rifle while on safari, and we use them for everyting.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 450/400:
This is a very interesting twist to my original question. It is obvious that everyone thinks that taking an additional rifle in a different caliber is the way to go...except for Saeed.

I like the idea of having a backup and only one type of ammo, but I see both sides of the argument.

I would like to hear from Saeed on why he takes two rifles in the same caliber. Obviously if you are taking rifles to or thru Jo'burg you could have a problem. And for that reason alone, my question is answered.

The rule that makes this illegal in RSA has not been on the books long. I used to always take a double rifle, and a Ruger No1 in the same chambering on Safari. my reasoning was, the scoped Ruger No1 was carried by a tracker, unloaded. I carried my double rifle. In the instances where I needed a scoped rifle for a pin point shot, all I had to do was trade rifles with the tracker. I simply broke the double dumping the two rounds in my hand, ususally a soft, and a solid, and load the one I needed in the single shot scoped rifle.

Many of the oldtimers did exactly the same, and the convenience of haveing to only worry about one ammo belt, whether the Double, or the Farquarson was in hand at any given time. Those old guys used factory ammo, so there was no problem, with regulation in the double, or the single shot. I worked up my loads for the double, and then adjusted the iron sights,and the scope on the single shot for the double rifle ammo. worked, and works, like a charm, for me as well as it did for the oldtimers.

I have no idea what the rational is for the law now in RSA, but as long as your rifles are checked through to another country Jo'burg will not effect your rifles. If, however, you are hunting in RSA, then that is a whole different mule to ride! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Slug:

2 rifles, 2 calibres = hunter
2 rifles, same calibre = private mercenary army

!!!!!

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I would be more worried about 20 guys with the same caliber than one guy with two guns in the same caliber.

one of us
Picture of crl
posted Hide Post
I have the same question. My son is a lefty so I want to take one RH an LH 375 H&H.

crl

The average man's love of liberty is nine-tenths imaginary. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty; and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies.

Posts: 379 | Location: MN | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
quote:
Originally posted by 500nitro:
Slug,

Please help me with an interpretation. I had been led to believe that two rifles of the same CARTRIDGE were not permitted, but that two rifles of the same calibre, but of different cartidges were ok.

For example, you could bring in a 458wm and a 458 Lott no problem, or a 375H&H and a 375 Weatherby...

But not two, say, 450/400's.

Am I wrong?

JPK
I think you would gt into trouble with a 458 Win and 458 Lott or 375 H&H & 375 WBY... a 458 is a 458 and a 375 is a 375 so dont' bet on getting permits for two guns of the SAME number....

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote