THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Recommendations for Namibian Outfit in Kalahari w. Blue and Black Wildebeest

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for Namibian Outfit in Kalahari w. Blue and Black Wildebeest
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
G'day AR,

My Dad is really keen that his next safari takes place in Namibia, in the Kalahari. His main target species are the blue and black wildebeest, and gemsbok. Are there any outfits where all these requirements match-up? Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Cheers,

Ben

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bushwack
posted Hide Post
Ben,

Namibia only borders the Kalahari. The kalahari technical speaking starts / end in South Africa and going to Botswana.

Blue Wildebeest in Namibia are plenty, not to sure about Black Wildebeest, but try this Outfitter

http://www.omatjete.com/index.html

Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Patrick Reynecke
Outfitter and Professional Hunter
Bushwack Safaris
Box 1736
Rustenburg

North West Province
South Africa
www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
Cell: +27 82 773 4099
Email: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Posts: 291 | Location: North-West Province, South Africa | Registered: 17 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Black wildebeest is endemic in South Africa. Why would your father wish to hunt in a beautiful area fora species that honestly does not belong there?

No offence meant, just asking!

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunters Namibia has all 3 & would be an excellent choice.
Hunted with them twice & they have lots of the 3 animals mentioned.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jamy Traut. See the hunt report below on Namibia. Lots of both as well as other fun critters to chase.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.farm-nomtsas.com/

These are great folks located in the Namib desert (the desert adjacent to the Kalahari on the west) about three hours south of Windhoek.
I hunted with them in 2007 and couldn't recommend anyone more highly. The quality of the game was superb. I did not take a blue wildebeest simply because there were so many other trophies I wanted to get to first, but a blue will be near the top of my list when I return, hopefully next year.

This black wildebeest is probably better than most people will ever see:

One of four outstanding Gemsbok we took:

PM me if you want more details.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would second the recommendation for Jamie Traut.
If you are willing to hunt outside the Kalaharia region, I would strongly recommend Jan Oelofse Safaris. They are north of Windhoek, in typical Namibian bush country. Blue and black wildebeest are extremely common on this ranch, along with gemsbok.
You will see everything from elephants, rhinos, sable, roan, hippo and a wide assortment of plains game on their property. A true paradise for the hunter.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, fellows. Andrew, I did not know that. Thank you for the education.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of only.375H&H
posted Hide Post
Just finish my 9 day hunt at Jan Oelofse. True hunters paradise...

Work to live...live to Hunt....

Posts: 91 | Location: Angola | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Count me in for recommending Jan Oelofse and their Mt. Oetjo Safari area. It was our first Safari and unforgettable.

Posts: 121 | Location: Creswell Oregon | Registered: 13 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I can highly recommend Sebra Safaris in northern Namibia, near Kamanjab. Here is a picture of the black wildebeest I shot with them this May:

I did two hunting reports on Sebra, one this year, and one last year.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Here's a huge red hartebeest I shot this May with Sebra Safaris:

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Last but not least, here's my 55" kudu from last year with Sebra:

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Go to Kanana. www.kanana.info

Herds and herds and herds of Oryx, Blue's and some Blacks as well as other stuff.

Shot a huge Blue while there and a cull.

Our group shot huge Oryx, 45 1/2", 44 1/2" cows and (2) bulls over 40".

PM with questions.

Justin

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NAPHA, the Namibia Professional Hunting Association, has, at their website, a list of all of its members, as well as a lot of other good and important stuff.

Some of its members have links to their own websites, and I find it interesting to just browse through them, comparing species, prices, terrain and so on.

NAPHA

NAPHA Member Pages

But actually, most of Namibia isn't really Kalahari, it's Acacia Savannah, Broadleaf Savannah or Nama Karoo - grassveldt.

If you want to hunt the Kalahari, hunt Botswana; a bit more expensive, but not much for plains-game. I've hunted both.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome info, thanks Team! Plenty to think about as we plan and save. Thanks for the PMs, too.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
so many great places to hunt and so little time

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Botswana. Right in the heart of the Kalahari. Blue Wildebeest heaven. Plenty of Gemsbuck and the biggest Kudu I have seen anywhere. More Eland than anywhere I have hunted and incredible Bushman trackers. Oh, yes, they have Black Wildebeest as well.

Botswana Plainsgame

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I know Orpa has all three that you listed . I have also heard a lot of good things about sebra safaris

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
G'day AR,

My Dad is really keen that his next safari takes place in Namibia, in the Kalahari. His main target species are the blue and black wildebeest, and gemsbok. Are there any outfits where all these requirements match-up? Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Cheers,

Ben

I have hunted with Joachim Brand (goes by J. P.) and would recommend him highly. If you wish more information, drop me a pm. Here is his website:
http://nhosabsafaris.com/

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LittleJoe:
Go to Kanana. www.kanana.info

Herds and herds and herds of Oryx, Blue's and some Blacks as well as other stuff.

Shot a huge Blue while there and a cull.

PM with questions.

Justin

This place really has my interest. Too bad rates are going up for next year.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've been measuring these wrong all along. I didn't realize you were supposed to add the two horns together.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I got back from Omujeve Hunting Safaris (www.omujevesafaris.com) two weeks ago. They have everything you want.
Corne & Nic Kruger run a GREAT operation.
We cleared customs by noon and were at Omujeve by 12:45 (Around 40 miles from airport). Had a HUGE Blue Wildebeest on the ground by 4:00.

Mauser

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Is this map correct? It shows the Kalahari as extending well into Namibia and somewhat into South Africa.

Map of the Kalahari Desert

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Another odd thing is that if you go to google maps and look at southwest Africa using the satellite view, Botswana looks relatively green compared to the northwest section of South Africa and coastal Namibia. What's up with that?

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote