Notify
Tools

Re: OOpppps, it's not my fault!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted
Quote:

Hey Mark. I wouldn't be too vocal about doing this. Even by accident the Ag. Dept. gets pretty serious about potential problems with imported agriculture.
Frank

I would hate to start a Baobab infestation!

I was told the seeds need to pass through an elephants digestive system to germinate anyway.

Good point though Frank. Hey, you gonna let those guys make fun of California like that? Until I can move to Idaho and build my "compound" I guess I'll have to bear with it.

By the way, we aren't all fruits. Some of us are just plain nuts.

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Ho Ho Ho... That was good!!

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I was told the seeds need to pass through an elephants digestive system to germinate anyway.

It's a form of scarification where the acids in the digestive system weaken the seed coat to allow germination to occur. You can mimic this by making a cup of hot tea and letting it cool, wrapping the seed in a paper towel and soaking it with the tea. Then put it in a cool place for a day. There's enough acid in the tea to weaken the seedcoat generally.

Check this out too, a little on cultivating them.

Baobab.com

C'mon, you just knew there was a site dedicated to this, probably a baobab association with a newsletter out there somewhere too.

Just tell USDA you brought them in elephant style.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can get Michael Moore to eat those seeds and then shit in your garden you will be on your way to an African themed back yard.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Quote:

These two fruits are unusual in that they are likely to be productive.
JCN

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote