Find
Notify
Tools

Strength of permethrin?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Question for the users of permethrin:

What strength or ratio to water do you use when spraying it on your clothes?

Thanks!

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Here's some info for you. I "buy" my permethrin from my daughter's feed store. Its used for horses and cattle. The stuff she gives me must be diluted to a .5% solution so a little goes a long way. We've used this up in Quebec while caribou hunting two years in a row. It really works. Also used it last weekend in Wyoming on a prairie dog hunt. I was only bothered a little by insects compared to everyone else.

Permethrin
0.5% Spray Application

How To Apply Permethrin Spray to Clothing

Permethrin clothing treatments are best done at home before your camping trip our outdoor adventure. After treatment, pack for your trip as you normally do, and leave the empty Permethrin cans or bottles at home for recycling !

1. Select an area at home or at camp that is well ventilated, but out of the wind, such as your back or side yard, a clothesline, barn or garage with the overhead doors open, patio, porch or deck. Do not spray in an enclosed area.

2. Lay clothing flat on the ground, or pin your clothes on a clothesline, or drape over porch furniture and railings, or hang clothes on separate clothes hangers, so each garment can be easily sprayed and allowed to thoroughly dry.

3. One 6 ounce can or bottle of Permethrin spray will treat two [2] complete sets garments and remain effective for up to six [6] weeks, including through weekly launderings. (3 ounces of Permethrin spray will treat one complete set of garments.) A set of garments is a pair of long-legged trouser, and a long-sleeved shirt. Jackets, windbreakers and rain gear may be treated in the same manner.

4. Spray one side of your garment for a minimum of 30 seconds on each side, holding the spray can or bottle upright and 6 to 8 inches away from the surface. Spray in a slow sweeping motion, similar to spraying paint, to evenly coat the entire surface. Turn the garment around to the other side and repeat by spraying the second side for at least 30 seconds. Be sure to concentrate the spray around cuffs, zippers, collars, flaps, flies and other openings, where ticks can crawl in.

5. Hang your garments up and allow the Permethrin treatment to dry for 2 hours, or 4 hours if conditions are very humid.

6. Treating other garments and gear:

a. Nets, tents, sleeping bags, backpacks and ground-cloths can be treated with Permethrin spray. Do not treat inside of sleeping bags. Spray over article until the outer surface of article is moist enough to cause a light color change (darkening). Turn over the article and treat the other side. Hang to dry 2 hours (4 if humid).

b. Polyurethane-coated nylon (synthetic) tent flaps and doors can be treated with Permethrin spray. Erect your tent outdoors and spray all tent flaps and doors until wetted. Leave standing for 2 or more hours to dry.

7. After your garments and gear have dried, pack as you normally would for your camping trip or outdoor adventure. You may also want to roll up your treated clothes and store them in a zipper bag to keep them dry. Pack tents and netting as you normally would.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Prof242!

I'm interested in trying it out here in VA first to keep the damn ticks off me while scouting!

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Make sure you duct tape your pants cuffs shut as well and tuck in your shirt. If they can crawl under the permethrin treated clothing they will. Wink

A little dab of diluted permethrin on a chigger bite kills those suckers quick.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote