New
Find
Notify
Tools

350 gr tsx in 375 H&H?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used the Barnes 350 tsx in 375 H&H on buff? I was looking to work up a 300 gr. tsx buff/large pg load for my rifle and found they also offer a 350 gr. But you give up 300 fps.

If the 300 works well for buff and big plains game, is the 350 still versatile/worth trying?
Scott Leonard

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott - I have some of these bullets but haven't actually worked up a test load. It seems the extreme length of this bullet will infringe on the powder capacity quite a bit. I am sure some here will provide some more info?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Scott, I have used the 300gr. from DG to plains game and to be honest it is definitely enough.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I agree with Larry, you may run out of powder capacity in an H&H. The 350TSX is long, maybe too long. I have used 350gr Woodleighs and they worked very well and they are actually a little shorter than the 300TSX.
If you want to go up in weight, go Woodleigh PP or stick with the 300grTSX.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Normally I like bigger is better, but on a 375, 300 gr bullets seem the best. CB discusses this issue in, I believe, Safari Rifles II or some recent prose.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Got a great TTSX load ready (.375 Wby) with RL-15. My other 350 grainers are Woodleighs -- no buffalo, tho.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
A 300-grain bullet will do everything you'd ever ask of a .375. 350-grain bullets just take away the versatility that makes the cartridge so great.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
I agree with Larry, you may run out of powder capacity in an H&H. The 350TSX is long, maybe too long. I have used 350gr Woodleighs and they worked very well and they are actually a little shorter than the 300TSX.
If you want to go up in weight, go Woodleigh PP or stick with the 300grTSX.

I've got about 6 boxes of 350g Woodleigh PPs I'm going to try in my 375 Weatherby. Im shooting for about 2500 fps muzzle velocity, no point in going any faster.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4769 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I suggest you stick with the 300 grain for buffalo.

I have shot over a 100 buffalo with the original Barnes X, and found it worked like a charm.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68614 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took 270TSX's for my buff hunt. Picked them because they shot at exactly the same place as the solids did. I never could get the 350's to shoot well in my Ruger.

Hunter Krenz

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I suggest you stick with the 300 grain for buffalo.

I have shot over a 100 buffalo with the original Barnes X, and found it worked like a charm.

I'm going to use the 570g TSX in my 500 Jeffery for Buffalo when I go Saeed, the 350g Woodleigh in my 375 Weatherby might be my bear load depending on how it shoots...

Have a great holiday!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4769 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
300 grains worked great for me. Knocked the buffalo over and he never got back up.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 350gr 375 bullets might be better suited to the bigger 375 calibers; 375 Wby, 375 RUM, and 378 Weatherby. With them, you can afford to tone down the velocity to minimize deflections and recoil, and still have the capacity to drive the 350 grainers at 2,400-2,500 fps.

Posts: 20156 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I drove the 350gr Woodleighs at 2400fps with my H&H. They shot to 1/2 MOA. But those 350 TSX are LOOOOONG.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I much prefer the 270 grain .375 caliber TSX bullet over any other, save the now discontinued Hirtenberger 272 grain ABC.

The TSX and the ABC are such great bullets that one can move down in weight from the standard 300, rather than up, and performance will not suffer.

I would have no use for the 350 grain TSX. Better to move up to a .416.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agree 100% on above. Last trip to Zim and Bots my 375H&H did everything I ask for with my 300 grain TSX's. What bullets I was able to recover were exactly like Sevens pic above.

Same load is going back with me in 6 months.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I tend to agree although in my case I moved up from the 375 H&H after my first buffalo to the 450 grain .458 caliber Barnes TSX and have been quite satisfied with performance on my last two buffalo.

With that said, I am also concerned with the length of the 350 grain .375 TSX. My 300 grain TSX load in the 375 H&H with at 2500 feet per second with RL-15 doesn't leave a great deal of powder space.

The original question has not been answered yet by anyone using the 350 grain .375 TSX. I'm sure it will kill buffalo but I doubt it will do so any better than the 300 grain TSX. However, if it gives better penetration it will be worth considering.

"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."

Posts: 105 | Location: Looking for the Southern Cross | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Scott, I have used the 300gr. from DG to plains game and to be honest it is definitely enough.

Mike

+1

....not sure the wheel needs reinventing on that one.....

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
I took a buff last year with 350 gr TSX in 375 Ruger. Recovered bullet had one petal sheared off. Barnes 350 gr solid used as first was back a little.

350 TSX Load data 71 gr RL-17 2380 fps.
Barnes 350 gr solid 77 gr Hunter 2390 fps.

Also took snare wounded buff with 350 gr solid to the head. None of the round-nose solids were recovered from either buff.

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used 300gr tsx on 2 safaris. I used it on everything from duiker to buff & have no complaints.
If I become unhappy with them I'll move up in caliber.

GUNS HAVE 2 ENEMIES-RUST & POLITICIANS

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote