Find
Notify
Tools

Bringing ammo into Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted
When I travel to Zimbabwe on 30 July for my 14 day hunt with Save Safaris, I planned to bring 100 rounds of .222 ammo for my PH's rifle kept in camp. I do not plan to bring my own .222 rifle with me. Is this a problem as long as I am within my overall weight allowance for ammunition?
I also planned to bring some brass and dies for my PH - any problems there?

mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
subsailor 74

Do as you like but I wouldn't do it and I have discouraged my clients from doing it. Transiting through RSA with ammo not matching your guns can get you in a mess. Why chance it?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Agreed. A few years ago I personally heard Louie Bekker (Afton House), tell another hunter, in no uncertain terms, that he was breaking the law and putting himself in jeopardy by bringing ammo into Africa without it matching the rifles that he was hunting with. He also said that any PH that asks you to do that knows better and should be avoided. Just passing on what I heard. I wouldn't do it myself. Maybe some of our esteemed Zimbabwe friends could comment further on this one.

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Agreed. A few years ago I personally heard Louie Bekker (Afton House), tell another hunter, in no uncertain terms, that he was breaking the law and putting himself in jeopardy by bringing ammo into Africa without it matching the rifles that he was hunting with. He also said that any PH that asks you to do that knows better and should be avoided. Just passing on what I heard. I wouldn't do it myself. Maybe some of our esteemed Zimbabwe friends could comment further on this one.

In all fairness to my Ph, he never asked me to bring ammo without a rifle. I knew he had one in camp, so I thought I might save the weight of bringing another rifle. Based on what I have heard so far, I am probably better off carrying the extra weight and bringing my own .222 for small stuff.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wisdom. Are you taking the 450-400 with you? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Wisdom. Are you taking the 450-400 with you? Big Grin

I am indeed. It will be my primary rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you made a wise decission.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who responded to this thread. Carrying another rifle (the .222) in my Tuffpack and paying SAA the extra $100 for an overweight bag is the obvious solution here. I appreciate the inputs that may have saved me from considerable grief a the start of my 2012 Safari!
Mangwana

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
So how does one bring over ammo to fit a "camp rifle" that you will be using on your hunt?

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that if you are using a camp rifle you are using camp ammo as well. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The fundamental problem to be faced is that most guys can't keep their mouths shut.

If you are only in transit through SA to Zim it shouldn't be a problem.

Unless you open your big mouth! Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why take the chance? And if you're caught with ammo that doesn't match your rifles, or you don't have any rifles, you're in deep shit, to put it very mildly. thumbdown African jails and their attendant "legal" systems aren't something that any one, except a fool, would want to risk dealing with. Smuggling ammunition into a third world African country without declaring it. Hmmmmm. For me, I'll stick with the late Louie Bekker's advice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I WILL NOT take ANY unnecessary chances that may ruin my very expensive vacation.
I don't want to spend time in jail here in Loiusianna let alone Africa.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done almost this. I had no problems.

I don't know about bringing ammo into South Africa, but taking it out of South Africa the SAPS issued me an export permit and in Zim I was issued an import permit. I would do it no other way if I were going to. Get the right paperwork and I struggle to understand how that is unlawful.

As I said SA rules I don't know as I don't import to here!

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote