New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ostrich
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this is a bit different but do any of you know of a plainsgame operator in Namibia or RSA who may be over run with ostrich and want to cull some of them? I want to get a sack full of skins and do some bags and boots for the ladies

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of the Namibian operators will have plenty of ostrich. Just don't shoot them in the head! Trust me.

You will most likely want to use a light caliber, say .223 of 22WMRF. Ask the PH.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just don't shoot them in the head!

Why not?, we shoot all of ours in the head so as to keep max meat.

Posts: 73 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 10 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
I think a lot of the Namibian operators will have plenty of ostrich. Just don't shoot them in the head! Trust me.

You will most likely want to use a light caliber, say .223 of 22WMRF. Ask the PH.

Good advice on two scores! 1. The head is a very small and easily moved [better replace the last word with "missed"] target! 2. If you do get a good brain shot the bird drops instantly and then [in my limited experience always?] starts a "running" motion with it's legs on the ground. This continues for quite some time and causes the bird to spin around on the ground. This spinning motion very often causes damage to the best part of the skin. Watch it, those legs are strong and not easily stopped!

Enjoy your hunt!

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Saeed...I hope it was just camera angle but it did appear that when you turned to talk to the camera that your weapon was pointed directly at your PH. He was looking down and didn't notice.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The rifle was not loaded, as we have finished our hunt.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchbuck:
I know this is a bit different but do any of you know of a plainsgame operator in Namibia or RSA who may be over run with ostrich and want to cull some of them? I want to get a sack full of skins and do some bags and boots for the ladies

How many ostriches were you thinking of shooting?

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisTroskie:
quote:

A whole flock of them clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisTroskie:
quote:

A whole flock of them clap

A "wing shoot" with a difference? Wink

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were a lot of ostrich, and I thought, Hmmmm, why not? Asked the PH how much, and he said free if you shoot it in the head. So I'm standing in the bakke with my trusty 30-06, waiting for a shot, and waiting, and waiting. The bloody head never stops moving, but the bird is getting closer. At something around 30 yards, I try to get it as the head reaches the front part of the fore and aft bob. Well, I got a piece of it, and then the fun began. As Andrew said, the thing thrashed around for what seemed like 15 minutes. Blood and feathers everywhere.

It did provide considerable entertainment value to the group.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to take as many as I can bring home legally. Now, you guys got me scared but being able to hit em!

One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
A very basic rule of firearm safety...The weapon is ALWAYS loaded....

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch when they run the head is always at the same height. It will not take too long till you figure out the lead and will be amazed when the first one drops to the head shot. It is a rush. The more you do it the easier it gets. We do this for fun and to not mess up the meat and skins. the other option is to shoot right where the neck and body join to minimize damage but head shots are best.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Not that I've ever done it, but I've heard a hollow point like a 90g Sierra HPBT at 3500 fps from a 270 to the neck will decapitate a long necked bird.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I watched many years ago Steve Scott on safari in RSA and in the background a male ostrich was following them walking. Next thing it attacked and knocked Steve down. and they chased it away. I would have gotten up and flattened that damn bird, case closed.

Shoot low in neck shatter spine instead of head shots. Or use a solid thru body taking out heart run and drop. Minimum damage lungs heart destroyed.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
They're actually an awful lot of feathers and nowhere near as big a bird as they first appear and that's why a fairly high number of shots at these birds are not as effective as they perhaps should be and FWIW, I've always found the most effective shot by far is the good old Texas heart shot which obviously drops 'em like a sack of spuds....... but for some bizarre reason a very common side effect with this shot is you find they have a rock hard erection when you get up to the animal. bewildered

I'll never forget the first time I encountered that side effect....... every time we tried to load the bird onto the truck something was hooking up under the tailgate and closing it as were trying to load the damn bird! animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
They're actually an awful lot of feathers and nowhere near as big a bird as they first appear and that's why a fairly high number of shots at these birds are not as effective as they perhaps should be and FWIW, I've always found the most effective shot by far is the good old Texas heart shot which obviously drops 'em like a sack of spuds....... but for some bizarre reason a very common side effect with this shot is you find they have a rock hard erection when you get up to the animal. bewildered

I'll never forget the first time I encountered that side effect....... every time we tried to load the bird onto the truck something was hooking up under the tailgate and closing it as were trying to load the damn bird! animal

Steve,Thats what happens with deep penetration. Have you forgotten. Big Grin jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
jumping yuck jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:

Shoot low in neck shatter spine
instead of head shots.

Mike

Works on Emu's as well.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot three all in different ways:

1) .22lr head shot and as mentioned here the head is seldom still. I missed the brain and had to try two more shots before the bird went down.
2) 12ga 35gr (1 1/4Oz) no 4 shot, from about 20 yards through a full choke, at the head - worked fine.
3) .30-06 neck shot. The neck folded over back on itself like a hair-pin. That bird was semi-tame so the shot was about 15 yards. It was a 'cull' as the cock bird was harassing reserve workers at their compound.

Like Shakari says the bird is much smaller than it looks under the feathers (like all birds).

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote