New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Three Areas in Zim
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for the three best areas to hunt Buffalo. I'm getting confused, it seems that everytime I look there is another concession.

Criteria

Ease of access - I'd like to be driven to camp, and see some of the country. Should not be more than 4-5 hours drive, as a plus this saves on another airfair keeping cost down.

Safety- Not trespassing on seized farm, Roadblocks, or coup attempts on the local warlord.

Representative trophy (good boss, doesn't have to be 40"), plus I'd like to get local small predators if possible, jackel, hyena, small cats, porcupines, and skunks. As you can see I really like predator hunting and trapping.

By the way, does anyone offer leopard trapping?

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I would have to think that Chirisa would get consideration for this list. Here's how HHK describes the place:

Chirisa Safari Area
Situated in the central midlands of Zimbabwe exactly halfway between Victoria Falls and Harare lies the pristine wilderness of the Chirisa Safari Area. Some 1200 square kilometres in size or 300,000 acres, Chirisa is without a doubt one of the finest, if not the finest big game hunting concessions in Zimbabwe.

Chirisa is an important link in the elephant migration routes from the Zambezi Valley through to the central plateau and Hwange National Park on Zimbabwe's western border. With its excellent network of natural springs and pans, and its diverse habitat ranging from hardwood forests to lowveld riverine, Chirisa is a hunters paradise where lion, leopard, buffalo and elephant are in abundance.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Matetsi is only an hour from Victoria Falls (a pretty wonderful place to visit). It has plenty of buffalo and also great plains game. I spent 5 days there in late November with HHK and have nothing to say but good stuff.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Minkman,

Matesti is a good area. I'll talk more about it when I give you a call. Expect it this week end.....

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another area to consider would be the Chewore North area along the Zambezi River.

The area has excellent buffalo as well as plains game. You could fly into Harare then drive to the area.

I would recommend Barry & Rob Style of Buffalo Range Safaris. buffalo@africaonline.co.zw

They will be at the SCI Convention in Reno.

Good Luck.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Here's a "Barry and rob Styles" buffalo. I took this one in 2003 with them. Brent Leesmay was my PH. it's not 40 inches (38) but it is a good looking old boy! I was 100% happy with the buff and the safari..

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
RCG!

When did you hunt with the Styles? What did you take? I'm going back with them in September of this year, I've hunted down in buffalo Range and up in Matesti. Haven't hit Chewore yet, time will tell!
Will we talk in Reno?

Widowmaker416

one of us
posted Hide Post
Minkman,

There are people here on AR who have been to Africa more than I have been to the grocery store. But what Spring posted about Chirisa is true. If you are seriously considering Chirisa,send me a PM and I will FedEx you a video of my husband's lion/buffalo hunt at Chirisa in 2000. Buffalo are eveywhere. I have some great video of outstanding buffs.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Widowmaker 416:

I have not had the pleasure yet of hunting with the Style's but hope to in 2006.

Mutual friends of ours from San Diego who have hunted many times with Buffalo Range introduced me to Barry and Rob in 2001 after we hunted together in RSA. A real class operation and family.

I will be at Reno on Wednesday and Thursday and will stop by the Buffalo Range booth first thing in the morning.

Regards,

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
You might try Theo Bronkhorst of Bushman Safaris. His concession in Matetsi is outstanding and he might have some left for 2005. I know he has elephant left. his e-mail is : bushman@netconnect.co.zw

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
RCG,

Yes they have quite a few clients in San Deigo. I'm working on my 6th safari with The Styles at Buffalo Range Safaris.
I'll be at Reno Tuesday thru Sunday, maybe we'll meet at the range booth...

Widowmaker416

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
You might try Theo Bronkhorst of Bushman Safaris. His concession in Matetsi is outstanding and he might have some left for 2005. I know he has elephant left. his e-mail is : bushman@netconnect.co.zw

You are right, good area, Theo did a good job for us

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information.

Kathi, look for a PM.

Thanks to all

Jerry

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote