Find
Notify
Tools

Thuraya questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted
After doing many searches and reading many posts, I have a couple of questions i couldnt find answers to on the posts.

Does the Thuraya work in the Luangwa Valley? The Thuraya map shows it does but with the usual disclaimer.... any experiences from you guys?

Can you buy Pre-paid minutes for a 'rental" Thuraya?

Thanks for the help.

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
Well, I found out from Outfitters satellite rentals my answers. I thought I would share what I found out. I posted my question on Sunday as Outfitters was closed.

Thuraya phones work in the Luangwa Valley.

And you cannot buy prepaid minutes for a 'rental".

Hope that helps someone in the future. I am off in 21 days.....

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Hey Rob, Thanks for the info. I hope (and trust!) they are right. I asked Outfitter Satellite the same question last June in regards to a bit further south (Zambezi Valley) and they thought so but were not sure. I played it safe and took an Iridium. But you should be good, and it will be almost like talking on a cell. Again, have a great hunt! Bill

Anybody use a Thuraya in the Zambezi Valley (Zim) this year?

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I have asked that same question of people who have been there.

It seems that is outside the service area for Thuraya, but, apparently they do work sometime!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
If you look at the Thuraya map on Outfitters website, it looks like the coverage extends well past the Luangwa..... The sales guy looked at the map and said he was pretty sure I would get reception. From what I have read, Thuraya's coverage has steadily extended from even a year ago.

I am gonna check out a few other sources to see if anyone else has had any experiences or knowledge for the Luangwa valley.

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
I got an idea, if everyone would give me $5, I'll go with the Thuraya in the Luangwa Valley and then report back to the group..... If everyone is on board for that, for additional small research contribution, I can charter down to the Zambezi Valley and do some "on the spot" signal verification. Saeed, what do you think? Smiler