New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Award Moving to DSC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm sure this will be posted on other forums and newsletters, but I thought I would share it here:

WEATHERBY AWARD MOVES TO DALLAS SAFARI CLUB

DALLAS (August 2, 2012)—The Weatherby Award, considered the most prestigious honor in the hunting and conservation world, will be presented as part of the Dallas Safari Club (DSC) convention and expo beginning in 2014.
Media contact: Steve Wagner, Blue Heron Communications, 800-654-3766 or steve@blueheroncomm.com

Weatherby Award Presentation Moves to Dallas Safari Club

DALLAS (August 2, 2012)—The Weatherby Award, considered the most prestigious honor in the hunting and conservation world, will be presented as part of the Dallas Safari Club (DSC) convention and expo beginning in 2014.

Weatherby Foundation International today finalized a 10-year agreement to join DSC’s annual convention in Dallas.

The DSC event is usually the first Thursday-thru-Sunday in January at the Dallas Convention Center and Omni Hotel Dallas. The annual Weatherby Foundation International Hunting and Conservation Award Dinner is now scheduled for the Wednesday evening of convention week. The first Weatherby Award presented in conjunction with DSC will be Jan. 8, 2014.

Since 1956, the Weatherby Award, officially named the Weatherby Big Game Hunting and Conservation Award, has recognized outstanding support of wildlife conservation, lifetime hunting achievement and dedication to the principles of ethical sport hunting.

Dr. Larry Rudolph, president of Weatherby Foundation International, said, “We are both proud and honored to bring the presentation of the Weatherby Award to Dallas. Weatherby’s 55 years of celebrating hunting and conservation will only be enhanced by partnering with such a great organization as DSC.”

“We’re thrilled to welcome the Weatherby Award as part of our annual convention and expo,” said Ben Carter, DSC executive director. “The addition of the Weatherby Award to our convention is a highlight event and brings another layer of tradition and esteem and attraction.”

In 2012, DSC is celebrating the 40th anniversary of its founding, as well as its 30th year as an independent organization advocating for wildlife, wild places and hunters around the world.

DSC re-launched in 1982 with its own mission, governance and fundraising. Over time, DSC evolved in its own right as a powerful force for global sporting and conservation issues. It has now awarded millions of dollars in grants—including more than $1 million in 2012 alone—for projects worldwide.

The fast-growing DSC convention and expo is the main fundraiser to support the DSC mission.

About Dallas Safari Club (DSC)
Desert bighorns on an unbroken landscape, stalking Cape buffalo in heavy brush, students discovering conservation. DSC works to guarantee a future for all these and much more. An independent organization since 1982, DSC has become an international leader in conserving wildlife and wilderness lands, educating youth and the general public, and promoting and protecting the rights and interests of hunters worldwide. Get involved at www.biggame.org.

About Weatherby Foundation International
Formed in 1988, the Foundation’s mission is “to educate the youth and non-hunting public on the beneficial role of ethical sport hunting and its contribution to wildlife conservation. Weatherby Foundation International is a non-profit, tax exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and contributions are tax deductible. Contact us at info@weatherbyfoundation.com.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Dr. Rudolph is the past president of SCI. VERRRRRRY INTERESTING. CONGRATS TO DCS.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a bit of a kick in the guts for SCI.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smart move for Weatherby. Another feather in the DSC cap. Good for both!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
Smart move for Weatherby. Another feather in the DSC cap. Good for both!
You'll be there then, right?? rotflmo

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
What exactly is the criteria that one has to fulfill, to have a shot at winning the weatherby award?

I found it a bit odd that the criteria are not listed on the weatherby foundation website.

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DSC now has Dr. Rudolph. Roll Eyes The same man that most here on AR used to blast, bemoan, belittle and call most every name in the book when he was President of SCI. Will be very interesting to see if the "tune" changes now that he is one with DSC. How things and times change!! coffee

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TwoZero,

One of the criteria is an incredible amount of different species of big game. My friend, Tom Hammond won the award this year with 314 different species.

Also, heavily involved in conservation efforts.

More a lifetime of hunting and conservation efforts than an award for a world record animal.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry stir

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DOJ - Surely you jest?? popcorn

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Larry stir

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt
If you and I can go in the peach and baby blue tuxedo's like Dumb and Dumber I AM THERE. Of course we have to sit together !

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
DSC now has Dr. Rudolph. Roll Eyes The same man that most here on AR used to blast, bemoan, belittle and call most every name in the book when he was President of SCI. Will be very interesting to see if the "tune" changes now that he is one with DSC. How things and times change!! coffee

Larry Sellers

SCI Life Member

how does DSC have anybody?. Rudolph is the Weatherby president but i seriously doubt he has total control of what the organization does. maybe the organization got tired of being caught in the SCI fallout/blowback when SCI gets caught with their "ethics" pants down- which occurs with disturbing regularity

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
TwoZero,

One of the criteria is an incredible amount of different species of big game. My friend, Tom Hammond won the award this year with 314 different species.

More a lifetime of hunting and conservation efforts than an award for a world record animal.

So, if you hunt a lot, and donate a lot of money to conservation efforts, there is an award for that.

Ok, got it.

So how is this in any way a "feather in the DSC cap."?

Clearly, I am missing something here...

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter to me who shoots what, or how many or how big. If it satisfies them more power to them.

I wouldn't know Dr. Rudolph if he walked up to me and shook my hand, but I certainly wouldn’t down grade him because he won such an award.

The WBY awards are not something that impresses me. Because of this I have never personally measured any animal I've shot, and have only known thier measurements because a PH measured them and told me the numbers which I promptly forgot. Every year when I get my record book awards magazine from SCI I look at the ads in it and toss it in the garbage.

Making hunting or fishing a competition is simply a misdirection of purpose IMO but others may participate if that is important to them!

DSC will benefit from the WBY awards being with DSC, because that is important to some, but it will not impress me in the least! I love the HUNT and couldn’t care less if my trophies impress anyone or not!

I’ve been a member of SCI almost since it’s beginning only because I believe them to be on the side of hunting and conservation, not because of any awards possibility.

............................................................................. coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac: Well said...

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
Matt
If you and I can go in the peach and baby blue tuxedo's like Dumb and Dumber I AM THERE. Of course we have to sit together !
You are ON!!! tu2

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will hold you 2 chuckleheads to it and will be there with the camera. Don't expect me to wear any of that crap but I will buy a couple rounds for the guys with the 70s flashback!

However, Larry is spot on with his comment about DR. Rudolph and the past blasting of him here. Same guy, same record, nothing has changed. I will wait to see how the mob's mood is. This should be interesting and I foresee the digging up of lots of old threads. hammering

Mac, you said it best buddy!

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Weatherby Award Banquets, typically held on Tuesday evenings before the Wednesday openings of the SCI conventions, attract 200-250 of the world's most affluent and experienced big game hunters from around the globe.

A large percentage of them -- but not all -- have attended both SCI and DSC shows in past years. Holding the Weatherby presentation as part of the Dallas club's evening events could result in SCI having fewer of these guys bidding at its big-ticket evening auctions.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it should be called the rich mans award.

Posts: 133 | Location: Eskimo Point - CANADA | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Savikataaq Jr:
I think it should be called the rich mans award.

Precisely!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TwoZero:
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
TwoZero,

So, if you hunt a lot, and donate a lot of money to conservation efforts, there is an award for that.

Ok, got it.

Clearly, I am missing something here...

Its FUN
nilly

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There have been some very worthy winners in recent years - and in the past too. I guess if you dont have an interest in awards and such, that is fair enough - but I can see a lot of good that comes from the Weatherby Award. Weatherby and those who seek the award are one of the main reasons that obscure countries and species are made available to sport hunters. I dont have any real interest in awards but I do see the benefit and I am pleased to know and have hunted with quite a few past recipients. Most share the same passions that we have...

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:

The Weatherby Award Banquets, typically held on Tuesday evenings before the Wednesday openings of the SCI conventions, attract 200-250 of the world's most affluent and experienced big game hunters from around the globe.

More like 450 in recent years. I doubt they will get the same kind of numbers in Dallas, not unless they reduce the entrance price considerably.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Hi Matt:

I've attended the past fifteen or so Weatherby dinners, and while there may be 450-500 or more people there, at least half are spouses, young people, girlfriends, favorite PHs and outfitters, hunting buddies, and guests of those "most affluent and experienced big game hunters."

In 2013, individual dinner tickets will cost $350 plate. Although it remains to be seen, I personally doubt that will change in Dallas or that fewer people will attend. If anything, the cost could increase if DSC takes a cut. The dinner is like the Oscars of international hunting and trophy collecting.

It and its auctions also are the Weatherby Foundation's sole fund-raiser. The proceeds finance the foundation's sponsorship of outdoor expos held across the USA and promote hunting and wildlife conservation by youths.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote