THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    .375 H&H Federal High Energy. Old stuff.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 H&H Federal High Energy. Old stuff.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

I am going to my first Africa outing. Namibia, next year. I plan to go with one gun: my old Winchester 70 Pre 64. And I am planing to use only 300 grs bullets because the animals I will go for. I am a reloader but I have also 3 boxes of the Federal High Energy Trophy Bonded bullets. They measured a shy below 2600 f/s over the chrono.
As I would like to use them, my question is if any of you have used this ammo and if so, your experience about excesive pressure in hot weather. My only concern about them.
Thank you!

PH

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Most people go hunting in Africa in their winter. You do know that there could be frost on the ground in the mornings and it might be hotter in Texas?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good ammo

It will work well in any and all African conditions

Enjoy your safari

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The TBBC is my first choice in bullets.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
They will work perfectly if you do your part!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 should work well . Another thought If you are a hand loader you might consider a lighter bullet say 270 or 235 grain .What range will you be shooting at? In Namibia the country is open the shots can be long up to 200 yards 250 possible. I have found that a 270 grain bullet going at 2600 fps has a 6 inch drop from a 100 yard zero to 200 yard target and drops fairly steeply after that . You might want to see where your 300 grain hits at 200 yards

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only issue I had with the high energy stuff was it was not as accurate in my rifles as the TSX loading they have (or had)...

I used it on one hunt and it performed fine, but I did note that the penetration was a bit less than the standard TBBC rounds and notably less than the TSX load on buffalo. It did great on the plains game I shot with it, and while it did not penetrate as deep as the standard bear claws, the buffalo died within 40 yards.

I had no issues with pressure in Zim with it, and reloaded those cases several times so far without issues.

For what you are talking about, no concerns.

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much!
You are right, Grumulkin...Ja!

Best Regards

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use this nice ammo, I would be very relaxed about pressure. New idea and question though.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
I used this exact combination on two safaris, pre-64 Winchester and all. I never had any problems. I don't know if the "extra" energy really helped that much, but it certainly didn't hurt, especially on buffalo.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you GL!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have been using Federal High Energy 300 gr. TBBCs for years in my 375 H&H Winchester Model 70s in Africa and that's all I shoot, along with 300 gr. Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer solids. No problemo! tu2

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
In hot weather in Namibia if you are hunting in December it will be as hot as hell. If you are hunting in July the dead middle of winter it will be cold in a.m. and warm up as sun comes up. They will be perfect and crushes animals I did it with 300 gr.

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The animals will hate you while you will love the results. TBBC's are more than good enough. Shoot carefully and have a wonderful time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all to share your experiences!

PH

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
In 1999, a friend and I hunted buffalo in Zambia using this ammo. He had a Ruger No. 1 and I had a recent manufacture Win M70. It worked great. The days were pretty warm and we had no problems.

Why don't they make this ammo anymore?

Posts: 1033 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote