Find
Notify
Tools

I had an interesting find today
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Went shopping in Springfield, MO today and one place we stopped at was a leather and rock shop.

Check this out!

What was funny is one of the sales women in the store saw me looking at these ear leathers and HAD to tell me they were legally harvested, etc. I smiled and looked at her and told her I had hunted various places in Africa four times now and had killed one tuskless elephant. She seemed relieved. In fact she was. She then told me that almost everyone else who sees the pile of elephant ear leather goes nuts in a truly lunatic way. Gawd.

This winter I plan to go back and buy some of the leather in that particular color pattern to make a bag of some sort. They even had a tanned grizzly skin in there, Nile Croc leather and more. Tons of exotic leathers, pretty cool store. The mineral specimens were out of this world too. Here's just one example.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Truly a one of a kind store! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
That is a really neat store.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
ok, are those for real Ele ears??

I wonder if they ship!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was the croc leather prices as reasonable as the ele ears? Cool find

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
One might think this is illegal?? This might be legally hunted and imported skins...but ELE still is a CITIES species and cannot be sold, transported across state lines...on and on!!
YEAH...and we poor slobs in Washington State can't buy this kind of stuff (like old pre- legal ivory, billiard balls, etc.)...thanks to (late) Paul Allen's Initiative....
His warm and fuzzy Initiative, where he paid signature gatherers $6-13/signature to get it on the ballot....is so poorly written, or is it intentional.... bans buy, sell, barter, trade any of 9000 species on the IUCN Red list...intended to save elephants and rhinos.
YUP, same guy that owned the Seahawk...
OH and by the way, there is an exemption for musical instruments that has ivory or rhino horn in them...he is a musician too...or self serving, maybe hippo-critical!!??
Yes, we have been bombarded in liberal Washington State by the Billionaires Gun Control initiatives...another coming in 2 weeks...makes 22 auto-loaders Assault Rifles, you cant buy until over 21...and if you apply to buy...you lose your HIPPA privacy of medical records...they want to be able to display mental issues...>>>
GO FIGURE!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2677 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's processed leather and the ears are not full ears, they are the leftover pieces from a boot maker in Zims. Most of the pieces of leather were about 2.5 square yards. Many were good enough to use for a belt or a small bag or wallet, etc.

They didn't know who the boot company was. Anyone in Zim have a guess?

There were lots of colors. I happened to like the one I focused on which is called 'peat vintage'.

Croc leather was all spendy. I included the contact info for the store about (see the links). Give them a shout. If you are on FB they are very quick to answer questions.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy crap, I live in Springfield and have never been to this place. I must now go!

NRA benefactor life member
SCI life member
DSC life member

Posts: 242 | Location: Springfield, MO | Registered: 09 September 2015Reply With Quote