Find
Notify
Tools

Kariba at dangerously low levels
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
It looks everyone's life in Zimbabwe is going to get much more difficult.

Water levels at Kariba dam, the world’s largest, are at “extremely dangerous” lows that could force a shutdown of its hydro power plants, said Zambian Energy Minister Dora Siliya.

As of Dec. 28, Kariba was 14 percent full, compared with 51 percent a year earlier, according to the dam’s regulator.

A continued absence of rains could force the power plants to shut down altogether, she said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/...ous-low-water-levels

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was there last November. Saw how shockingly low the water level is in the lake. They apparently released enormous amounts of water from the lake earlier in the year (my safari operator is of the opinion that the lake may never recover from the water release) as part of a project adding more generation facilities.

Posts: 43 | Location: On the road somewhere | Registered: 17 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I was there in 2011 when it was at the highest level that my PH had ever seen.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's go tiger fishing!!!

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Welcome to earth earhtlinks

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Let's go hunt the plains...

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lake levels aren't that far off of 1992-4, but the rains this year have been very poor. The storms we have had have mostly been from the south, and the ITCZ is still very far north. This is to be expected when North America experiences a strong El Nino, so next year will probably be bad as well. That said, Kariba gets a lot of its water from much farther north, so the lake levels will rise.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It should mean a big uptick in buff numbers over the next couple of years.

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
465, how so ?