New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My last Namibia PG trip I used the PH's 338 WM and it had scope problems. This time I will bring my own but can't decide between my 30.06 featherweight that's a sweet shooter and a pleasure to carry and handle or a 300 W/mag w/muzzlebrake, very long and heavy.
Eland will be the biggest game on my list.
Any suggestions?

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I would take the 30-06, you gave a lot of de-enabeling statements about your 300, I would leave it at home.

Shoot partitions or swifts, and have a good time. I bet 20-100 times more eland have been killed with the 30-06 than the 300 Winchester.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take what you shoot the best.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How will your hunt be conducted? Will the PH ask you to shoot from the vehicle? At what distances does the PH expect you to shoot? Will you be walking 100m? 1km? 5km?

Namibia can call for long-range shooting even on eland, which are among the wariest of the antelope. That heavy, long-barreled .300 can come in handy at 300m, especially if you use a premium 180gr. bullet.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I don't know what else you are planning to hunt, but an 06 w/ good 180-200gr bullets will do on eland. Yes I would prefer more bullet but wouldn't be willing to pack around a 10#-11# 300winmag.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
On my PG safari in South Africa last year, the .30-06 with 180 gr Partitions gave one-shot stops on Gemsbok, Wildebeest, Impala, and Blesbok. The cartridge and bullet combination were excellent, but bullet placement right on the shoulder was what really made all the difference. I had practiced for months before the safari and with the 30-06 was able to shoot 20+ shots in a range session without flinching or bruising my shoulder. I couldn't have done that with a 300 Win Mag.

Having said that, I'm off to Namibia in '09 and the PH has advised me that shots may be up to 250 yds. I thought very seriously about getting a 300 Win Mag or WSM for the trip. At the end of the day trust in my 30-06 rifle, confidence in shot placement, and the ability to practice a lot with it has won the day.

A premium bullet fired with the confidence borne of practice will hit where aimed and yield some wonderful trophies.

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NO Contest - take the .300Win -- Use Barnes TSX or Swift A-Frames.

Don't risk a trophy fee -- take something with enough power to do the job at long range--300+ yards.

Posts: 122 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 20 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
elkfitter,

The 06 is fine but since you maybe shooting at over 300yds This is where the 300 win mag will shine...
If you reload you can crank up the 06 a bit.. The 300 win loaded to max will be a screamer and loaded with a premium bullet in the 180 class it will be devastating... Sighting in with a 3 or 4 inch high at 100 yds will send that bullet along way.. As for weight that rifle can not be more then 9.5lbs. with a 26 inch barrel.. A little more exercising and dumbbell training will work out... As for the break you better include earplugs..
A 375 H&H with 270gr bullet will reach way out there also with a 4 in elevation at 100yds.

On a bad shot the mag will do its job... But that is not the answer for poor shooting...

Good luck

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Load your 30-06 with 180 TSX's. Nothing you shoot inside of 300 yards will know the difference between the two when it gets hit.

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300winmag

your spending $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
to go to Africa
300winmag will out shine the 30-06
if you can't carry the 300--have the tracker or the PH help you hilbily

good luck

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best answer is.....buy a new rifle LOL Thats just me though, any excuse for a new rifle is a good one. What do you carry when trekking for elk up here in CO? If you're used to carrying the Win Mag, it shouldnt be any more of a problem at half the elevation and not straight up a mountain.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take what you shoot best, if it is your 30-06 be sure to use a premium bullet.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate brakes... so i would say the 06. there isn't a dime worth of difference and you could even add a .308 and i doubt the game would know any difference.

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd have to agree with gi and Aaron Rust. My wife took a great eland in Namibia with her '06. It was a well-placed Nosler 180 gr.
She punched both lungs, it went 250 yds., spun around and dropped. The only reason it went a little farther than the smaller animals is that it takes a little longer for a larger animal to bleed out.
Like the guys say, if you shoot it well and use a good bullet, you'll do fine. And my ears are ringing right now partly in thanks to a muzzle brake.

Have a great hunt.

Posts: 207 | Location: Florida | Registered: 28 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not going to comment on the above, all make good arguements either way.
What about ammo. availability? What caliber rifle does you PH carry? If the rifle and ammo don't get to Windhoek together how easy is it to get some more ammo? Ask the PH what ammo previous clients have left "just in case for the next hunter"
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not trying to stir the pot at all....but I always see this "what if the ammo doesnt make it, can you get more ammo?" From all the stories in the hunt report section...it seems most people don't lose either their ammo or the rifle...they lose BOTH. If thats the case, it doesn't matter because you'll be using a rental gun regardless.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the tips. Now I need to find the right hunt.

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 300 Winchester Magnum does not kill any better than the .30-06 Springfield. The higher velocity allows "killing" power to projected further flatter. Eland are magnificant in size. So, it makes no difference in choice of your .308's. If you want to step up go with a larger caliber.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
The 300 Winchester Magnum does not kill any better than the .30-06 Springfield. The higher velocity allows "killing" power to projected further flatter. Eland are magnificant in size. So, it makes no difference in choice of your .308's. If you want to step up go with a larger caliber.

I was hoping somebody was going to say that. If you want more kill get a larger diameter at a heavier weight. The ONLY thing that a .300 Win gives you over a .30-06 is 50 yards further point blank range. I've found this to be a mute point in Africa.

If I were going to bring your .300 to Africa I'd load it with 200 gr bullets at about 2800 FPS and call it good.

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
Take your favourite get a accurate load with a premuim bullet. zero it at 200m and the plot where it shoots at 50,100,150,200,250,300m and practise at those distances and get to know your trajectory if you your trajectory you can shoot any gun up to 300m

At our last shooting day the springbuck table was won with a 9.3x62 you shoot 4 shots at 300m to the heart lung area lying down. 3 shots to the heart lung area sitting at 200m and 3 shots to the brain lying down at 200m. you get a negative score if you miss the vitals he scored 48/50 this guy only shoots his 9.3 and he knows hes rifle and thats the most important thing

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, Buliwyf and Surestrike are spot on. I've hunted extensively with both the 30/06 and the .300wm, with standard cup and core bullets the 30/06 is the better killer, but load your .300 mag. with 180 or 200 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and it really comes into it's own. Probably other good bonded bullets would work as well, I was so pleased with TBBC that I didn't try to improve on perfection.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was there last year I used my 300 RUM for all the animals I shot and I got 4 all together. I used the Nosler 200gr partition Bullets.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Take the '06 and place your shots well. It's hard to recommend against one, especially with the better bullets available today.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:

I was hoping somebody was going to say that. If you want more kill get a larger diameter at a heavier weight. The ONLY thing that a .300 Win gives you over a .30-06 is 50 yards further point blank range. I've found this to be a mute point in Africa.

If I were going to bring your .300 to Africa I'd load it with 200 gr bullets at about 2800 FPS and call it good.

+1
The 06 will do it all. Eland are massive but they are not notoriously tough. But use at least 180 grain bullets nosler or swift. If for some reason you like extra muzzle blast and extra gun weight of the 300wm use the 200 grain nosler or swift.

Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote