New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frightening Animal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the right situation they all can frighten you, but in '73 with Finn Aagaard in Kenya we were going down a small game train with Fire Nettle higher than your head on each side. We had gone about 10 minutes of the 20 we had to walk to get to a valley full of Buffalo in the dark. I had already been hit numerous time by the fire nettle and it hurt 10 times any I have come upon in the states when Kinuno said something to Finn in Swahili. Finn leaned back and said we had "RED HOT" Rhino Tracks on the trail and if Kinuno ran left or right I was to run immediately into the Fire Nettle in the same direction. We gave him a few minutes and continued. I am glad we did not have to meet this DG under the conditions presented.
Robert

Posts: 115 | Location: Garner, NC | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I have never hunted dangerous game, so I can't really comment from experience. I did enjoy cocktails at a friend's house recently, who had just received his Cape Buffalo shoulder mount. Because of ceiling height limitations, he had positioned it at eye level. As I stood before it, at the distance of a foot, it occurred to me that under different circumstances this could be the last thing I ever saw.

I must say, it creeped me out!

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with JFK. Elephant (for me anyway) was the most awesome animal I ever saw in nearly 4 weeks in my one and only trip. They loom out of the brush (particularly near sundown)and can be amazingly near invisible until up close. I, an American, who had never seen any elephant before except in a zoo was dumbfounded at the sheer size of an African elephant. (Yes, I knew that Indian elephants were smaller and that African elephants were not used in circuses but the sight of an African elephant against the sky and on his own turf was simply staggering. I realize that you guys who have faced the African elephant to shoot him may be used to his size - but he certainly is No 1 in scaring me!

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Aedes aegypti mosquito, carrier of Dengue hemorrhagic fever. You can prevent and treat malaria...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having someone shoot at you in the stairwell of a housing project at night

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Satan scares me! guess my ill spent youth keeps coming into question! animals don't, although the bad ones will get my attention! knife

Ray,
I read in the Revelation that Satan loses in the end. No need to be afraid unless you are on his side!!
knife

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Cari-BOO

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
WOUNDEDbuffalo! wow worst hunting time in my life. After that 4 more shoot stone dead. Never in my life i will take "a try" with buff. If I am sure I shoot if not...... no way. 2 ele in rainforest; before you can see them to shoot you could easily bump them. The last but not the least snakes

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I can say with complete honesty the only thing I am REALLY afraid of in Africa and any other country is snakes. I dislike them so much I can't even watch a TV show about them or view them in a zoo.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like snakes are getting the vote here.
I can sure understand why.
Once, while looking for waterbuk, the PH, myself and gamescout were in line sneaking along. The PH stopped in mid step, I was so close I almost bumped into him as he jumped back. It was a monster cobra, easily 10' long.
I wanted a picture with him flared, so the PH jambed him with the shooting sticks, BIG mistake. By the time we stopped running the PH said he though for sure as he turn to run he'd trip over me and we'd both be dead. He said he'd never seen an old white man ever run that fast. I was a State hurdle champ in high shool.
I learned, if the PH runs it's my job to beat him.

Posts: 444 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote