Find
Notify
Tools

New Acting Director of USFWS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted
Today, Ryan Zinke appointed Greg Sheehan as the Deputy Director of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Mr. Sheehan was previously the Director of the Utah Department of Wildlife. He will be the acting director of USFWS until a permanent director is appointed and confirmed. He is an avid hunter, having hunted across both the US and in Africa. From what I'm reading, this appointment is being applauded among the professional wildlife organizations. SCI's press release states that he is aware of the issues hunters are facing with USFWS in regards to hunting trophies from other countries.

Looks like another great appointment inside the Trump Administration.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My prayers have been answered..

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like another great appointment inside the Trump Administration.

tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trump and his cabinet are the best friends of hunters and shooters scene Teddy Roosevelt!

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
NICE!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This could be good!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1113 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have expected anything less!

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg is a really nice guy and I am thrilled to hear he will be in charge of USFWS. I've known him since before he was appointed the director of UT DWR, and was always somewhat surprised in his success in that role. He always seems a little too nice to swim with the political sharks...

His appointment is most likely attributed to his support of SFW and Don Peay, who is a close friend of the Trumps. I am NOT a supporter or fan of SFW, but in his new role at USFWS he should be a great asset.

While Greg is a hunter, I would not classify him as a really avid hunter. His African safari (plains game) came about through a donated trip at a fund raising banquet. He speaks highly of that trip, but never intended to go again, or so he says. He does hunt, however, if even only every other year, and this is a big improvement over previous appointees.

It is a great appointment for the hunting community.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Yes
Hopeful news

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Any prediction if elephant will be allowed to be imported from Zim?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted Hide Post
Finally !!! tu2

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Outdoorsmen had better bind together and take care of this administration and not let the left take him from us while he is just getting started.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 patriot

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Outdoorsmen had better bind together and take care of this administration and not let the left take him from us while he is just getting started.

Yep. I don't care for Trump and didn't vote for him, but I'm not disappointed in the moves his administration is taking. He is not our enemy like his major opponent would have been

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Yep. I don't care for Trump and didn't vote for him, but I'm not disappointed in the moves his administration is taking. He is not our enemy like his major opponent would have been

A well reasoned post. tu2

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Not trying to be smart, but did all of you hopefuls read that it said he is the interim D.D.? I could be wrong, but usually temporaries don't make much policy , but perhaps he might get considered for the job full-time, We can always hope!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Not trying to be smart, but did all of you hopefuls read that it said he is the interim D.D.? I could be wrong, but usually temporaries don't make much policy , but perhaps he might get considered for the job full-time, We can always hope!

Not to nitpick, but; he is the deputy director NOT interim. He IS the acting director until a permanent director is confirmed. We now have a Secretary of Interior and Deputy Director of USFWS who are both hunters. It has been a long time since we've enjoyed this at USFWS. Now, I think it's reasonable to expect that whoever is nominated and confirmed as Director will be friendly toward hunters, just like these two are.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote