New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impact of Drought
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Southern Africa is suffering through a vicious drought .. how will this affect the coming season?

I note there has been some heavy rain in N Namibia but not sure if the drought has broken elsewhere.

Normally during times of drought the carnivores do well, at least for a while.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been on 2 horrible safaris. Both in drought years.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Natal was amazingly dry when I was there this year. I watched a small river that had a steady flow literally dry up in 7 days.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Was just in Pafuri a couple weeks ago and the Limpopo was looking pathetic. Very sad looking hippos and crocs resting in pools not much larger than themselves.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in Kwazulu Natal in October 2015. Very hot and dry. Hunting was good, but you could see some of the animals were getting stressed badly.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
It is dry and hot here at the moment which is most unseasonal. Zambia has vast and lengthy waterways so game always has access to water. The grazing will be a problem.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most African animals are pretty drought proof but domestic cattle, not so much. Farms have the added benefit of borehole wells, but supplemental feed is getting more and more expensive as grasses disappear. Rain is coming back but remains to be seen how much and if it will be enough to break the drought in KZN and Namibia.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just driven from the eastern Cape to where I live in the Kruger National Park. Very dry all the way. The Caledon river on the Lesotho/SA border was bone dry and you could jump across the Orange River at Aliwal North without getting your feet wet!
In the KNP it is seriously dry. All the impalas have lambed and some of the younger ewes are now not looking great. The wildebeest have also calved but surprisingly they still look OK as do the zebra. Saw 4 dagga boys at our local waterhole yesterday evening and they still look OK for what there is to eat which is very little. The big worry is water - may on the KNP's dams are dry and all around what water remains is bare earth. A big die-off of hippo's is expected as there is nothing for them to eat along the Olifants river. The worrying news is that the next rains are expected only in March. So what the 2016 hunting season will be like will, I'm sure depend on whether there are good late-season raid or not. Too early to tell this now. And it has been unbelievably hot. I was in the north of the KNP a few weeks ago (near Shingwedzi) and my temp gauge on the dashboard of my Toyota showed 48 degrees C and it was 6:00 pm in the evening! Saw some wonderfully big elephants though which was great. Got some nice pics of them to show off at the elephant seminar I'm giving at DSC on Saturday. In fact I'm at OR Tambo now waiting for my flight to Dallas! See some of you there.

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote