New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bell of Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Reading this glorious book again. Last time I read it was 1998 on a trip to Italy to visit family.

It still speaks to me of a time that I'm sure many of us sorely miss.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of his books are good, well written and a fun read. Safari Press has published 2 more based on notes and unpublished info. They are interesting as well. I liked the books so much, I bought an old Rigby .275 to use on my next trip, however, not for elephant.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I have what appears to be a signed- in pencil, copy of this fine book!!.... what dreams are made of.... Cool

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 1st edition at a gun/book show several years ago. Great book.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
I have what appears to be a signed- in pencil, copy of this fine book!!.... what dreams are made of.... Cool

Bell of Africa was not published until 1960 after his death. The book was put together by Bell's friend Townsend Whelen from manuscripts and chapters from his previous work.

So there would not be any authentically signed copies of the book unless Bell arose from the dead, which many of us of course wish he could. I share his surname and did have relatives originating from Scotland. I also enjoy a nice single malt Smiler

Should add that by some small coincidence our cat that we picked up from an animal shelter had the given name of Walter.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Guys,
I wasn't paying attention to titles, KARAMOJO SAFARI, first edition 1949.Dust Jacket and even a protective plastic cover over that...

Inscription says To Tad, WDM Bell....nice flowing signature....I can't tell if it is pencil or a charcoal artists stick he used to sign with?

This was a surprise gift to me about 25 years ago by a very dear, now late hunting partner...we hunted pheasants and quail with family in Central Oregon for years...he owned a gunshop in Puyallup for years...it may have come in through the shop...but maybe surplussed out of a Military Base Library...he was career Army as was his wife's father...???

It's a treasure...and will be passed to another close friend and African hunter, purveyor of many British Double rifles...and even a Selous sideplate Fahrquarson....he is a big fan of Bell as well!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote