East African Eland
Greater Kudu
Sable
Zebra
Warthog
Hartebeest
Impala
etc.

Looking for good representative animals, not really looking for record book types. Lawdog
Smiler

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
It all depends on what block you are hunting in when it comes to the Rungwa region. Some blocks are better than others and could make a difference in your quality or availability. But if you want a general opinion of the Rungwa region, then it is very good for the animals that you listed, so long you are in a good block. If you are not in a good block, then you will have a long 21-days.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lawdog_Gary:
Looking for good representative animals, not really looking for record book types. Lawdog
Smiler

That attitude is a big mistake (especially at Tanzania prices), unless you've taken all that game before.
You pay the same trophy fee for a 40" kudu as you do for a 60" kudu.

I hunted in Muhesi, which is in the Rungwa district in 2001. The buffalo below was taken there.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog

You got some excellent advise from Adam and George. I hunted Muhesi/Kisigo that borders Rungwa. Very wild country but low game densities. We did shoot some nice trophies there though. You also should consider roan if you are planning a safari there. I did see all the animals you are interest in while hunting that area except an impala.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12943 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Adam is on the money.

1-Rungwa is great lion area with very good mane genetics BUT you have to be prepared to hold out until you find that big one.
2- Rungwa is crawling with leopards but most are what we affectionately term as "Miombo rats". Not all though Wink
3- Buffalo are found in pockets and there are some very good ones there. In 21 days in a good area you can expect to get 3 decent representatives. Possibly even 1 over 40".
4- Sable, Eland & Greater kudu: IMO, no better "region" in TZ for these than in Rungwa.
5- Other plains game are all available in acceptable quantities varying from area to area within Rungwa. The impala is the Southern impala so trophies of 22 inches and above should be considered.

Generally, Rungwa does not have vast herds of game visible all the time but what you see is often above average in terms of trophy quality. A small piece of advice, if you intend hunting both cats, spend the full 21 days in the area and avoid changing area in pursuit of more specie variety.

Happy hunting!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
quote:
Originally posted by Lawdog_Gary:
Smiler

That attitude is a big mistake (especially at Tanzania prices), unless you've taken all that game before.
You pay the same trophy fee for a 40" kudu as you do for a 60" kudu.

I hunted in Muhesi, which is in the Rungwa district in 2001. The buffalo below was taken there.

George

George,

What I meant was that I don’t need to see my name in a record book like some hunters I know. The larger the trophy, of course, the better. I have seen pictures of Cape Buffalo that others have taken that looked like a freak with a great spread but narrow boss, deep down sweeping curves that didn’t look normal. The Buffalo in your post is a great example of what I consider a Buffalo should look like. I would be proud to have a mount of him hanging on my wall. Lawdog
thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about George S. His ideal safari is one where he shoots 50 animals in 10 days of which all are top ten but he doesn't want any trophy item from them and the safari must be under $10K Big Grin
sofa

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Kisigo once and Lukwati twice. My experience has been that these concessions are so big that the availability of certain species varies from area to area even the concession. My suggestion is to look at your list of animals and discuss with your hunter the area that gives you the best chance for a particular specie. I hunted Kisigo east and central this past September/ October and here are my observations:
Lion-- good to excellent I hunted with TGT and you know their lion standards( many of the lions on their website were photographed on my safari)
buffalo-- good to excellent with a chance to take a 40+ buff
leopard-- there is no better place to get a leopard than the miombo
kudu-- in Kisigo east and the east part of central there were many kudu; there were some monsters with a good chance to get a bull over 55; this was the case in Lukwati. I only saw two shootable bulls in 42 days of hunting.
sable-- Lukwati was loaded with sable. They are not as big as some I have seen shot in Zambia but you should get over 40; the sable in Kisigo were not as big as Lukwati but numerous. I was told that that Kisigo west was better sable country but I never hunted it. I had killed a sable over 40 and I never saw a bull approaching that so I didn't shoot one.
eland--I took a good bull in Ludwati but Kisigo east is the best eland area I have hunted in Tanzania. I saw several good bulls and took one. We were lion hunting so other than bait I was not really hunting eland. I did take a good bull in Lukwati but it was luck and I did not see nearly as many eland in Lukwati as I did in Kisigo.
I hope this helps and good hunting.