Find
Notify
Tools

Safari Wish List
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For me the perfect safari would have:

Quick and hassle-free import of rifles and ammo at no cost and with a minimum of paperwork.

Tips would be included in daily rate.

Two non-trophy impalas (or similar) animals could be shot as camp meat at no charge.

Days not hunted due to equipment breakdown, or other events, not the hunters fault would be refunded.

There would be huntable populations of the species and trophy size you are after in the area you hunt, and you get to decide which animal you will take, not the PH.

Total shipping and dipping costs of hide and horns would not exceed the cost of a one-way airfare between the hunters home airport and the airport nearest to where he/she hunted.

Is this economically viable for an outfitter/PH? Probably not.

Still it is nice to dream.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Tips are rarely included in the daily rate and this cost is at your discretion and usually reflects the quality of your safari. It is not mandatory to tip.

Most we include an Impala for the pot - if needed.

The PH will advise you as to the maturity and sex of animal and it is wise to heed his advise.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuffHunter63:

Quick and hassle-free import of rifles and ammo at no cost and with a minimum of paperwork.

A safari operator could probably pay for your permit but you'd pay for it one way or another

Then it would not be a tip

Two non-trophy impalas (or similar) animals could be shot as camp meat at no charge.

Why would you expect free animals when the operator has to pay for them?

Days not hunted due to equipment breakdown, or other events, not the hunters fault would be refunded.

If you book with a reputable operator he'll have redundancy of equipment avoiding lost days

There would be huntable populations of the species and trophy size you are after in the area you hunt, and you get to decide which animal you will take, not the PH.

Once again when you book with a reputable operator none of that should be an issue

Total shipping and dipping costs of hide and horns would not exceed the cost of a one-way airfare between the hunters home airport and the airport nearest to where he/she hunted.

Shoot less and you'll pay less

BH63

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want tips at my discretion.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

BH63

It sounds like you have had a bad experience with lots unexpected costs and bad reps at the port of entry.

As mark mentions, book with reputable outfitters with upstanding PH's and all of this issues will be limited.

If you don't like the airport customs procedure then ask to hire a firearm from the outfitter.

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
www.thorwildlifesafaris.com
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 315 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thor Kirchner:
quote:

BH63

It sounds like you have had a bad experience with lots unexpected costs and bad reps at the port of entry.

As mark mentions, book with reputable outfitters with upstanding PH's and all of this issues will be limited.

If you don't like the airport customs procedure then ask to hire a firearm from the outfitter.

^
Not at all. I have had a wonderful experience on all 3 of my African Safaris (except the shipping and dipping charges seem to be out of control for my 2016 trip). Basically I am just cheap (must be my Scottish DNA). LOL

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Thor Kirchner:
quote:

BH63

^
Not at all. I have had a wonderful experience on all 3 of my African Safaris (except the shipping and dipping charges seem to be out of control for my 2016 trip). Basically I am just cheap (must be my Scottish DNA). LOL

BH63

And that is perfectly fine as long as you are honest about it Cool

I can't speak for other countries. But I must say I have seen the shit you have to go through to get the dip & pack done here. Its a costly bureaucratic nightmare.

And the shipping has become more complicated with fewer airlines carrying trophies and sustain planes not carrying cargo at all.

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
www.thorwildlifesafaris.com
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 315 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Limpopo Big Game Safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:

BH63

a Self guided hunt can also be considered.

Posts: 606 | Location: South Africa Limpopo | Registered: 03 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^

Are they still available? I have a book (forgot the author and title, LOL) about a guy who did some self-guided safaris in Zim and one East African country.

As I recall, he would bid for an area to hunt tuskless elephant and then conducted his own hunt by finding locals who would track for him. Kind of interesting.

Not for me, though,

I have no problem with daily rates and trophy fees (within reason), but I think the shipping and dipping companies are charging way too much.

Perhaps they have to grease the skids???

And the amount of recommended tips seem to have grown exponentially. My first safari I tipped the tracker about $20.00 for a 4 day hunt. The second safari I tipped the two trackers and cook $50.00 bucks each and around $5.00 bucks for each of the camp staff (3 or 4 guys as I recall). On my last safari in 2016, both trackers got almost $200.00 each and the driver got about $90.00 and the game scout got $60.00.

(I've always tipped the PHs the same, $100.00 a day for each day we hunt.)

That starts to add up. (I know tipping is considered "optional" but for an American not to tip at all, he would have to be a real jerk IMO).

I've always wanted to hunt Tanzania but having to pay $300.00 bucks just to bring your own damn rifle into their country for a week or so is something I will never do. Matter of principle.

Still it is what it is, so you makes you choices and you pays you money. LOL

BH63

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
For me the perfect Safari would involve:
- great weather
- no drama from airlines or government officials
- see lots of animals
- PH and I click
- PH is patient with my wife
- all kills are clean
- I learn something(s)
- we are all safe and everyone handles kit, firerms, vehicles safely

We have been blessed so far!

Safe hunting......LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
I want something like the Star Trek transporter. I'm standing in my house one second and the next I'm at my destination!

As for tips, you could do like the Scandinavians and leave $50.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bush pig

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Some things on your wish list are really just plane rediculous!

You are looking at it from your side, completely forgetting his side!

I have had more hassle at some airports without having any firearms.

In fact, the US is one of the worst countries getting in with firearms, so why complain about others?

If your outfitter has all the paperwork done before you arrive you will sail through without any hassle.

Paying an import tax to bring in a rifle and ammo does not bother me.

What does is certain countries in Europe that charge you tax for just passing through in transit because you have a firearm.

Why would the hunting PH have any control over the shipping costs??

You are daydreaming with your wish list.

It will never happen, I guarantee you.

But, if you really wish to hunt, look around, and base your final decision on the answers you get.

Forget trophies to bring home, and you can save a lot of Money.

Take lots of photos, lots of video, and Yiu will have a life long memory.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've always wanted to hunt Tanzania but having to pay $300.00 bucks just to bring your own damn rifle into their country for a week or so is something I will never do. Matter of principle.

What you are referring to is a dual-purpose Temporary Import License and Firearms permit whose validity extends to cover 365 days.
If your visit is limited to 7,10,16,21 or 28 days is your choice - you also have the possibility/privilege to leave the firearm/s behind and come back for a second hunt months later within the license validity. Wink

BTW it was $250/gun unless it has been increased which with Tanzania is also quite possible.

We as residents have to pay a licensing fee annually for each and every firearm in our possession and go through the PITA process that goes with it.

"I have a book (forgot the author and title, LOL) about a guy who did some self-guided safaris in Zim and one East African country.

As I recall, he would bid for an area to hunt tuskless elephant and then conducted his own hunt by finding locals who would track for him. Kind of interesting".

To the best of my knowledge the 3 East African countries (Kenya, Uganda & Tanzania) never permitted the hunting of tuskless Elephant other than occasional "control" to reduce their numbers by the Game Dept.

By chance, was the author of your book Capstick? Big Grin stir

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fulvio,

Last year's was $250 per rifle and I think that is what is on my contract for this year(Subject to change if the gov't changes the rate and your comment is well-taken). Well worth it to hunt with my own rifles though.

BuffHunter,

I disagree. Things work pretty well the way they are. I want my tip to be discretionary so that I can reward great work, which is usually the case. If it were "included" I'd generally feel obligated to leave a bit more anyway. Including the tip would just be inflation.

No need for "camp meat." I've never hunted in Africa where there was any shortage of meat for the kitchen. Bait when hunting multiple cats? yes, but backstraps and tenderloins for chakula? no.

The outfitter and PH have nothing to do with shipping costs. You need to do your own research on areas and what trophy quality is reasonably attainable there. A copy of R&W will help you with that.

It's all part of the experience. Enjoy it!

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, if we are wishing...

I'd like someone to give me a free 35 day safari in Tanzania and all I have to do is write about it... Like JOC!

Not bloody likely...

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
To go on safari with Walter

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Fulvio,

Last year's was $250 per rifle and I think that is what is on my contract for this year(Subject to change if the gov't changes the rate and your comment is well-taken). Well worth it to hunt with my own rifles though.

BuffHunter,

I disagree. Things work pretty well the way they are. I want my tip to be discretionary so that I can reward great work, which is usually the case. If it were "included" I'd generally feel obligated to leave a bit more anyway. Including the tip would just be inflation.

No need for "camp meat." I've never hunted in Africa where there was any shortage of meat for the kitchen. Bait when hunting multiple cats? yes, but backstraps and tenderloins for chakula? no.

The outfitter and PH have nothing to do with shipping costs. You need to do your own research on areas and what trophy quality is reasonably attainable there. A copy of R&W will help you with that.

It's all part of the experience. Enjoy it!

tu2

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To be young again so I could hunt like I use to do. Oh well, just make do as best I can.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunt with Biebs and shoot all his game for him like I always do jumping

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

BH63

That is not too much to ask.
Good luck in getting someone to agree with you on this forum.Most people here are corrupt. stir

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
To be young again so I could hunt like I use to do. Oh well, just make do as best I can.

Dave

You got that right! At my age of 81 years, there is a lot more to see in the rear view mirror than I will see in future looking out the windscreen.

.................................................................. CRYBABY old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Jumbo at least one more time with some bushpigs as a top

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wish list is a 21 - Day Ethiopian Safari with Mtn. Nyala on the top of the list. I'll deal with the rest as it comes! Smiler

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I prefer to say goal list in terms of future hunts; that makes me think in terms of "what do I have to do to make it happen?"

Animals I'd like to hunt in the future (that I don't already have)
Bongo, sitatunga, lesser kudu, mountain nyala, elephant, sable, roan, leopard, warthog, moose, elk, black bear, brown bear, caribou, pronghorn, mule deer.

My number one goal while going after any of the above: have fun doing it. Best way to do that comes from 2 things preparation and attitude.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Lack of other hunters
Exotic surroundings devoid of as much technology as possible
Good quantity of game
A PH/staff that are not tired of their work and enjoy being out there as much as filling tags
Good conversation
Zero pressure to take a damn thing if I don’t want to
Bird shooting if possible
Tented camps, availablity to fly camp in the back of beyond preferable
No drama
No BS
No misrepresentations

One of Us
posted Hide Post
^
"...devoid of as much technology as possible"

I agree. I still remember following the PH to within 30 yards of a small group of buffalo bulls. Light was fading quickly, but the bulls were silhouetted perfectly against the African sky.

One bull was over 40", but instead of giving me the go ahead, the PH texted his dad (who owned the safari company) if we should go ahead and shoot or wait until tomorrow.

We didn't shoot that buff, and I got another one (not as good) a couple of days later, but the incident with the cell phone totally destroyed the ambiance of the experience of that moment.

BH63

One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
A bush pig

Mike

At least make it a challenge Wink

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1403 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I never get the tip thing.

I don't understand why it is such a problem for people. I decide how much tip money im going to take. That's it. If everything goes well ill distribute it all. If not I wont.

Anyone who is not happy with there tip is free to give it back! Make that policy plain and clear and you wont here any grumbling.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thunder Head:
I never get the tip thing.

I don't understand why it is such a problem for people. I decide how much tip money im going to take. That's it. If everything goes well ill distribute it all. If not I wont.

Anyone who is not happy with there tip is free to give it back! Make that policy plain and clear and you wont here any grumbling.

I was told that one PH tells his clients at the end of the hunt "My tip is $2000.00." Thes PH is fairly well known as he is one of the few black PHs in Zimbabwe, and has some really good hunting blocks.

BH63

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tips are earned during the hunt, not before.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote