Notify
Tools

Identify this Big 5 art, please
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents and ladies:
I have these prints of the Big 5 and know nothing about them. Any of you folks recognize them and/or can tell me anything about them and perhaps a value. I was told they came from an auction at DSC or SCI. Anything helps and thanks for looking.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keith Joubert limited edition prints sold by Rowland Ward of Sandton in Johannesburg. They were numbered from 1 to 850 signed in pencil by the artist.
Sold as the Keith Joubert Private collection prints in a maroon portfolio
Joubert died in 2013
He also did the Land Rover Collection of prints in the same theme depicting the Marque values of the land Rover Brand.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have some of Keith's original paintings here on my walls.

A very kind gentleman.

He visited us here and I had dinner with him at his farm in South Africa.

very sad of his passing.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68648 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Keith Joubert. Wife and I met him with his friend and dealer Mark Read of Joburg's Evereard Read gallery. Below is Vicki's article about him from International Wildlife in the mid-late 90s and the oil we bought follows the article. Regret the loss of that talent.

Regards, Tim

MAGAZINE ARTICLE
International Wildlife

Of Sausage Trees and Extinction
By Butler, Victoria

Article excerpt
Why did Keith Joubert--one of the most successful but unorthodox wildlife artists in Africa--paint fossils on top of a sausage tree? Show cattle turning into sand dunes? Give a lion a red stripe shooting out of one eye? Slap handprints on a canvas of grazing wildebeest?

"I've always tried to approach wildlife painting from a different angle," says Joubert. In so doing, this 48-year-old South African has turned the representative, see-it-as-it-is world of animal art on its feathered and furry head.

Joubert combines abstract and figurative styles on the same canvas--along with the visual symbolism that has become a trademark of much of his work. The symbols seek to convey not just the form of the animal but the tensions in its ecosystem: a landscape of sausage trees (an iconic African species known for its massive fruits) and creatures at risk of extinction, cattle turning a fragile land into desert, a lion's power as a single-minded hunter, the handiwork of humans threatening wildlife. "All the drawings that go into a whole painting must go together to tell a story," he says. "You don't just have a kudu that you are looking at and that is looking back at you."

Still, the painterly concerns of the artist gnaw at him. Start him talking about rendering giraffes, and in no more than a sentence he's raced on to the language of design--weighing the relations of the negative space, the empty areas around forms. "I want to use pigment to create paintings, not natural history records," he says.

Joubert's professional life is something of a paradox. "He's really disinterested in what his market thinks about his work," says Mark Read, his art dealer and a longtime friend. "He doesn't paint for money, and he's not remotely socially ambitious." Joubert once told Read, "I can always set a good snare to make a living."

Yet his canvasses have brought Joubert commercial success. Galleries in Paris and London have shown his work, and his creations hang in collections around the globe. Of the year's worth of paintings displayed in a one-man show in Johannesburg in 1996, all sold before opening day.

Joubert's growing reputation has, if anything, confirmed his rough-and-ready work habits. He was born in a Johannesburg suburb, but for most of the year, he lives in the African bush. No electricity. No telephone. He rises with the sun, paints during the day and sleeps at night on a camp bed in a tent. "If you're living in the bush all on your own, your working hours are far more intense and productive than working in town," he says. "Recently I looked at all my sketchbooks and discovered that after the first few days back in camp, I always made a note to myself that the only way to improve my art is to live in the bush."

Joubert always knew he would be an artist. So did his parents, who watched as he avidly sketched plants and animals during family vacations in South Africa's national parks. They encouraged him to go to South Africa's premier art school but with a touch of practicality suggested he study industrial design. He switched to commercial art, earning a diploma in 1967 along with his first job, illustrator for a publishing company. Although he stuck with it for two years, he knew he did not belong in the publishing world.

With two friends, Joubert set up a small advertising agency in Phalaborwa, a tiny town in the eastern Transvaal. "The only reason I chose Phalaborwa was because there was a gate into Kruger [National Park] there," he admits wryly. "It wasn't a very good place for an advertising agency." The business did not prosper since Joubert spent most of his time wandering around the park, sketching and painting watercolors.

A local businessman bought some of Joubert's first watercolors of antelope for $25. "The paintings are ridiculous," he says now. "Those impala have the longest legs I have ever seen in my whole life." Yet other businessmen began to buy watercolors, and a local hotel started selling them in its gift shop. …

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Beautiful artwork! tu2

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gents, for your information.
Can anyone approiximate the value as I would like to sell them. However, as large and heavy as they are I doubt I can ship them out of Alaska unless I remove the frame.
Again thank you all.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found a site in Florida, Cal, selling the Big 5 Limited Edition prints for $2,500. Do not know if they realized that.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Cal

If you do a internet search on your prints.

Put in the artist name. Print name and print number you will get a good estimate on each print

Then do a print series for the check to see if you have a complete set. Again you will get a good idea for setting a price.

Then list the prints as a set or separate asking the buyer to pay the shipping and insurance

That is how I have bought and sold prints

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Cal,

Very cool and thanks to all for the history.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Some of his originals that we have.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68648 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful paintings, Saeed.

Very Best, Tim

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Very unique and similar to what Fairgame puts out there in an abstract, but realistic twist.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Any of you gents are free to make me an offer.

Saeed, old friend, if you would like a set of prints in your castle, make an offer and I will include a set of Hatari Times. How's that for a suggestion among brothers in hunting?

Cheers and and thank you all for you information.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Any of you gents are free to make me an offer.

Saeed, old friend, if you would like a set of prints in your castle, make an offer and I will include a set of Hatari Times. How's that for a suggestion among brothers in hunting?

Cheers and and thank you all for you information.
Cal

Hi Cal,

Best bet is to get a picture framer to take out the prints and properly pack and protect them in a roll. They may buy the frames off you.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9948 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have some of Keith's original paintings here on my walls.

A very kind gentleman.

He visited us here and I had dinner with him at his farm in South Africa.

very sad of his passing.

Saeed, check your PM re possible Keith Joubert to buy.
Regards. Tim