THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    South Africa; Giraffe's head hits highway overpass

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Africa; Giraffe's head hits highway overpass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://abcnews.go.com/Internat...ay-overpass-24801714

South Africa: Giraffe's Head Hits Highway Overpass
JOHANNESBURG — Aug 1, 2014, 7:13 AM ET
By CHRISTOPHER TORCHIA Associated Press
Associated Press

Those responsible for the death of a giraffe whose head struck a South African highway overpass while it was being transported in a truck will likely be prosecuted under animal protection laws, an official said Friday.

The accident on a highway between Pretoria and Johannesburg on Thursday was very unsettling because it could easily have been avoided, said Rick Allan, an animal welfare officer.

"It's just so unnecessary," said Allan, head of the Pretoria area branch of Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The group's members were able to respond quickly to the giraffe accident because they were already out on the highway attending to a separate case of cattle stranded because of a truck breakdown, he said.

Prior to the giraffe accident, startled motorists took photographs of the truck, which was carrying two giraffes whose long necks were visible above the sides of the vehicle. The surviving giraffe was taken to a wildlife clinic.

Pabi Moloi, a radio and television presenter, told South African news channel eNCA that she was in a car on the highway and saw the giraffes just before the accident.

"The impact of the giraffe's head on the bridge was so loud that my cousin, who was driving me, asked if someone had been shot," Moloi said. "I saw the giraffe hit its head very hard on the concrete under the bridge and kind of be propelled forward."

Then, Moloi said in the eNCA interview, she saw "the giraffe's head descend into the truck that it was in."

The other giraffe appeared to escape injury by millimeters because it was slightly shorter than the animal that was hit, Moloi said.

The truck earlier broke down for hours on the side of the road, according to South African media.

Animal welfare officers have interviewed witnesses and obtained documents from nature conservation officials who had issued permits for the transport of the giraffes, said Allan, the animal welfare officer. The investigation includes determining where the giraffes were being transported from, as well as their destination, according to Allan.

"We've got all the evidence," he said. All that remains, he said, is "to prove our case."

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS38UXAXodk

News interview/photos.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Life imitating "art". Roll Eyes

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Would have never happened with a duck.

[Sorry, it was just too inviting.]

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Would have never happened with a duck.

[Sorry, it was just too inviting.]

HAHAHA! thanks, that made my day.

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
She said the truck was moving slowly, the speed a person could go ! Also that the sound when the giraffe's head hit the bridge was as loud as a gunshot.
??? If it was moving so slowly how could the sound be so loud ?
If it was so slow why didn't the giraffe duck ?
Having read of the damage a giraffe's head could cause , why wasn't the bridge damaged ?
I want the facts ma'am , just the facts ! 2020

I've got nothhing better to do at 2:00am ! coffee

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
At first I laughed. Hysterically. And then it was:

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
So?
Dead giraffe
We kill animals every day
Shit happens...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it was so slow why didn't the giraffe duck ?

From the pictures it looked like they had their faces covered.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
What could possibly go wrong????

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
So?
Dead giraffe
We kill animals every day
Shit happens...

If the driver actually intended to end life with a explicit purpose of doing so via Transport rather than bullet then perhaps I could accept the means.

This example though is to the point of the those who have posed the question "and we wonder why the world laughs at us" - yeah. Not much than asking folks in the South to "hold mah beer and watch this".

Kinda like using a blow drier in the bathtub. I mean, what could go wrong?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unqualified drivers do that all the time with high loads. Just look at the bottoms of the hwy bridges you drive under no matter where you are.

Off the track some. When I was trucking for a living we had to call dispatch twice a day to let 'em know where we were. I asked Pete how he was doing. "not so well, the last caller was hauling an Army tank and the barrel hadn't been tied/locked down and had ratcheted up. He'd just taken out a low wooden bridge with it".

The second vid, is that real or a movie setup??

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
... the sound when the giraffe's head hit the bridge was as loud as a gunshot. ??? If it was moving so slowly how could the sound be so loud ? coffee

It's pretty clear what really happened; the giraffe was actually shot by some guy up on the grassy knoll. Cool

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote